Live sand, live rock and filtered SW going in the 180 this weekend

SnT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far as you know I have a 180g DT, 50g sump/fuge, 3 LED fixtures that will hang from the ceiling, an ASM G3 Skimmer, a Mag 18 pump and we have not decided on which power heads to use. We were going to get the Vortech MP40's but I just can't justify the expense. Any ideas? This tank will be a mixed reef mostly LPS with some small fish and CUC. (after it has cycled of course) I have filled the tank with FS to work out any bugs, plumbing leaks or any other unforeseen issues. We did have a few leaks that were fixed and I will run the tank for the next day or two to make sure everything is running at 100% then drain it to fill it up again with SW. The live rock is cured, live sand is Caribsea Aragonite Fiji Pink and the water will be ocean water that is filtered at the LFS (Exotic Aquatic). What is the typical time it takes to cycle? How often should I test my parameters? Getting excited! :tongue:

Chris Aldrich

Caribbean Chris @ Saltwater Smarts
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of water movement, no need to go for the expensive options off the bat. You can certainly use more affordable solutions until you're ready to spend the money for premium offerings. As long as your getting flow, you'll be alright.

The cycle time depends on a variety of factors, but you can generally plan on 3-6 weeks for a full cycle on a new aquarium. However, time isn't the important factor here, it's the water parameters that you want to pay attention to. You should monitor levels on a regular basis (daily or every other day). You'll be keeping an eye out for spiking and then declining ammonia and nitrite levels, followed by the appearance of nitrates. Here is more info on the topic: How to Cycle Your Saltwater Tank

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most would use the Jebao WP40 instead of the Vortechs, they are alot cheaper.
Without using fully cured live rock cycles can take up to 8 weeks, but are normally done in 4-6 weeks.
[h=1][/h]

OP
OP
S

SnT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone I will read the links and check into those powerheads ;) as soon as SW is in it I will start a tank thread ;)

Chris Aldrich

Caribbean Chris @ Saltwater Smarts
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good, and no problem. Look forward to what you have in store for your new aquarium!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 142 60.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 27.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.0%
Back