Live Sand?

annahhayy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m starting the building process of my first 29gal clownfish tank and had a couple questions. First off, can I use live rock only without having to use live sand? I can acquire both, but I have a crap ton of unused regular sand that I want to use up if I can use it safely without NEEDING live sand. Or would it be possible to mix live sand and regular sand? I just don’t want to buy that much live sand if I can avoid it (obviously I will pay for it if it’s absolutely necessary)

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont need live sand. It will become live by itself. Just add salt water.

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before adding, I’d check out some threads about bare bottom tanks. Wish i knew the benefits of bare bottom before adding my sand cause it took forever to get it all out

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before adding, I’d check out some threads about bare bottom tanks. Wish i knew the benefits of bare bottom before adding my sand cause it took forever to get it all out
I'd like to go bare bottom, but I have an LTA that is doing wonderfully and has his foot firmly planted in the sand bed.

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to go bare bottom, but I have an LTA that is doing wonderfully and has his foot firmly planted in the sand bed.

Bare bottom definitely has it’s perks but i think in your case it’s definitely not worth it. Any pics?

I have heard of ways around sand dwelling creatures, such as putting a small container of sand in the tank for wrasses or clams to bed in, wonder how’d that do for lta

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'll get you a good one when I get back to the house. :)

Here's one I have on my phone now
IMG_20190817_171840.jpg

AllSignsPointToFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It moved one time to it's current location and has been there ever since. My experience is that they don't bother corals too much, but they will definitely hold their own against ricordea mushrooms!!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back