Liveaquaria Divers Den v. Non-Divers Den (California

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R fish friends,
I’ve been on the hunt for some fish and find that the ones I’m going for in Divers Den seem to go quick (note I’ve been happy with all of our Divers den purchases 6 fish no issues). I see them available in the California facility but have heard rumors that the live stock can be hit or miss in terms of health. Wondering what people’s luck has been? are you QT’ing them before putting them into the tank? Inquiring minds what to know:)
Adam Driver Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DD is the liveaquaria facility in wisconsin, they essentially condition the fish (not a full quarantine) for a couple to a few weeks

the california facility is just liveaquaria drop shipping fish from quality marine, a wholesale in los angeles

personally i'd QT fish from either facility, but especially from the california one

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts are that if you're already quarantining your other fish then you might as well do the others unless you get them from TSM or Dr. Reef whether they come quarantined

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quit buying from live aquaria after three consecutive DOA orders. I don't remember ever having Divers Den problems, so I would still order from there. I think it's crazy not to QT, but many of us have to learn the hard way. I've had uronema from live aquaria with the fish dying in QT.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have actually talked with folks who have worked at one of the Cali facility's biggest suppliers. They reported that nearly all fish were shipped to Live Aquaria sick or even dead already and the work environment was terrible. So any of the more commonly found fish have the chance to have come from this place (Who I believe will own LA in a few weeks or maybe already does). I try to order from diver's den exclusively, if there's something I can't find on DD I special order it from my LFS and they get it to me quick.

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I order fish from Live Aquaria quite a few times. 75% of the time the fish are great, a few of the time, the fish were sick or emaciated. However, with these bad shipments, I always get refund. Not a lot of fish availability here in Corpus. I do get fish locally, but the price is high. I try not to order sensitive fish MO. Often get them locally, Houston or San Antonio. However these two cities are 3 hrs drive away so it is not a great option. Petco here in Corpus Christi is a great source of fish for me.

OP
OP
BighohoReef

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate all the responses! I’ve always been a little reluctant to buy non divers den fish really because of the hit and miss reviews I’m seeing a trend in this thread. I do QT all fish and corals. I’ve learned some tough early lessons when I got into the hobby. I’m going to check out TSM as well as Quarentinefish.us.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a Pakastani and Sunset butterfly from Live Aquaria. Both fish were super healthy. The Pakastani ate the next day and the Sunset is (I think) eating today (3rd day). Both fish came in super healthy and active. You can see pics on my build thread (last page).

The only issue I have isn't per se with Live Aquaria it is with FedEx. Live Aquaria seems to be aware of the that problem and the fish were well packed.

EDIT: I don't quarantine and will never quarantine. I think it is way to hard on the fish, and produces nothing positive for the creatures. I also only temp acclimated the fish. They came in at 1.020 and I run my tank at 1.025. After about 30 minutes I hand grabbed them out and put them in my tank.

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always been afraid to order from LA, and DD has never had anything I’ve wanted really, but knowing these fish have been in holding at least leads me to believe they’re a little more hardy and probably in better shape. I would QT from both places though.

Mkvc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered from LA once and the fish had velvet. I'd give DD a shot but the Cali facility? Never again!

DirkCourage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only ordered through LA twice, and have been quite happy with them. I have a pair of black ice gladiator clowns, a Wheeler’s goby, pistol shrimp and trochus snails from them. All arrived in healthy shape (if maybe a bit rattled) and ate within a couple days. All of them are doing great. Btw, the pistol shrimp was/is TINY.

Now, I’m not setup to QT so these were a roll of the dice. As my first fish, I was willing to chance it. Now that I’m looking at my next (and last) fish, I’m way more nervous about their process and will almost certainly order through Divers Den or TSM. Having my system taken out by a $15 clown goby is my literal nightmare.

Kal93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diver's den has been successful for me. However, from my regular liveaquaria orders, I had 5/7 fish die within week. Some refused to eat, some had disease in QT. Conditioned/QT fish are with the extra money.

Mkvc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got an order from Diver's Den. Super straightforward, well packed, and all of the fish were very healthy. So I guess I'm a no LA yes DD buyer now.

cd459

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only used DD. In addition to the fish being healthier, I also like being able to see the actual specimens I'm buying. It's also fun, the adrenaline rush when 6PM ET comes around...

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love getting fish from DD. Never had a bad experience there.

I have also ordered from Live Aquaria many times through the years. While not as impressive as DD the experience has overall been good.

Recently (yesterday) I received an order that consisted of some inverts and three flasher wrasses (yellow fin, line spot, royal) that I want to add at one time. They arrived super healthy and actually were the most well fed fish I've gotten in some time! The yellow fin was absolutely obese.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you order from LA WI which is run very different than the rest LA FL & LA CA you will have better luck. It is run by Kevin Kohen.
The rest of the places not in WI I have had bad luck with.
Some of LA livestock comes from WI not just DD stuff.
In WI they do quarantine stuff. I have been in the WI facility many times but not since Petco took over.
I hope since Petco sale they do turn things back around.

Shipping has been bad almost every time for me from CA & FL.
To many times a Ice pack was laying directly on the bag and water in the 60's. I have not lost everything from the others but shipping is no good. The prices LA charges is a good indicator on how much is lost because they have to make up for those losses.

Last edited:
Back