• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Liveaquaria - going downhill fast or just a coincidence

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I've done it, it's at the distribution center. You could direct it to a retail store, but that's not generally what they mean. I live about 15-20 minutes from a larger metro area and FedEx and UPS both have distribution hubs in that city. It works pretty well.
I need to check on this option.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say hold at hub is that pick up at local FedEx/UPS retail store or at the distribution warehouse? I do the pickup at the brick and mortar but would love to just pick up at warehouse. I’ve had 2 packages today sitting there since 5:30 this morning. It would take me 15 min to drive to get it.

I do not use the retail stores, those still need your package to get loaded on a truck and delivered there..... Avoid that.
I go right to my local fedex hub, which is located right by the airport. My packages never spend time on a delivery truck and are always at the hub and ready for pickup by 9AM/10AM.

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not use the retail stores, those still need your package to get loaded on a truck and delivered there..... Avoid that.
I go right to my local fedex hub, which is located right by the airport. My packages never spend time on a delivery truck and are always at the hub and ready for pickup by 9AM/10AM.
I always thought the trucks dropped off a load at the retail stores first then made home deliveries.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
When you say hold at hub is that pick up at local FedEx/UPS retail store or at the distribution warehouse? I do the pickup at the brick and mortar but would love to just pick up at warehouse. I’ve had 2 packages today sitting there since 5:30 this morning. It would take me 15 min to drive to get it.
Most areas have a hub/facility that packages come to before loading on to trucks for home delivery.
If you call early in the morning ( I do once I see the tracking info says my packages hit the Seattle air port ) usually around 5:30-6am and request they hold for pickup, even if the address is your home, they will do that.
I've even had the vendor use the address of the fedex facility and request hold for pickup.
It can shave alot of time off the delivery time depending on where you live in the delivery area. I'm at the end of most drivers routes. I haven't seen a overnight delivery ( delivery by 10am or noon) get to me before 3-5pm some times as late as 8pm, in the last 2 years.

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60A47077-CB29-47B5-B621-09023584B31C.jpeg

I tracked down my package in a delayed shipment at the beginning of January. I still couldn’t pick it up because the office connected to this hub was closed. I guess this is a hub. I was happy to see the trucks parked inside the warehouse.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think in this thread 2 main issues are at play here.
All of the shipping companies are having issues getting packages out on schedule.
In any given area one shipper may be better than the other.
Sheer volume is collapsing the system that worked well for many years.
Now add in the weather. A storm on the east coast can/will affect what is delivered on the west coast.
I've had packages stuck in Indy and Memphis for extra days.
The second issue I'm seeing here is the shipping method that LA is currently using.
The dang ( I didn't say dang) cheap shipping bags they are using. I personally am at 33% survival rate for the last 2 orders from LA.
Plus the lack of heat packs ( in my orders), the lack of support inside the shipping bags that keeps the bags of fish/corals from bouncing around.
I guess LA figures it's cheaper to just do store credit, than to use the proper shipping method.
They must figure they will get extra sales from you if you have to re-order.

I've placed several orders from other vendors in the last year and with proper shipping containers and people taking care to package the corals, I'm at 75% survival rate.
The one order I placed that all died ( torch corals that were 2 days late), Jersey Corals completely replaced the entire order without me having to spend another penny.
This is so true. I just had an issue with an IKEA order that disappeared into thin air, and they would only refund me b/c they have a temporary policy of not re-sending products due to shortages in stock, which is another global issue rn. I had to accept the refund and then re-order the stuff myself. That or drag myself in to one of the BK or Queens showrooms to buy it in person. Point being, ordering and getting anything through e-commerce rn is an exceptional headache.

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you located?
For 3 Bangai cardinals LFS is your better bet. Why use online retailer.
Between shipping price and this being such a common fish it could be prevented.

Just a friendly advice. Save your online orders for more expensive fishes. I see these are tank bred for 109 for three. They must have shipped from Wisconsin facility. You also get a free coral. 109 plus tax plus 30 shipping almost 155 dollars for 3 cardinals.

Your LFS could have helped.
Oof

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPS charged me last time. The first time I picked up at that store they didn’t so not sure.
All of this is true but if a vender decides to use cheaper shipping materials the loss should definitely be on the vender. They should package everything for the worst possible outcome on delivery.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have NEVER been charged for picking up at a retail location. I use an actual UPS store and have never been charged. Is this new? Or only applies to non-UPS stores?
Me either... I've never been charged to pick up a package at the hub, I've done pickups at both UPS and fedex and never had a charge for doing so.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I always thought the trucks dropped off a load at the retail stores first then made home deliveries.

They have to send trucks to the retail stores to pickup packages several times a day so it's most likely a better option than home delivery and maybe as good as having it held at a hub.

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPS charged me last time. The first time I picked up at that store they didn’t so not sure.
All of this is true but if a vender decides to use cheaper shipping materials the loss should definitely be on the vender. They should package everything for the worst possible outcome on delivery.
I’m about to pick up a shipment at another UPS store so I’ll see if they charge.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always found their Divers Den fish to be healthy, and have never had a problem (although I do quarantine all new fish for 4-6 weeks). That being said, their regular fish stock is garbage and I would never order from that side of the operation.

Corals are a different story. I recently ordered a Meat Coral from them, and it was basically DOA upon arrival. But that was FedEx's fault. They didn't deliver the package until 2 days after it was supposed to arrive (actually I had to go and pick it up) and the temp inside the bag was a balmy 44 degrees. Still, Live Aquaria should drop FedEx, as they're the worst when it comes to shipping livestock.

Overall I'd say there are much better places to order corals from, but the Divers Den fish have been consistently good for me (just overpriced).

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PetCo Owned LiveAquaria, in the past when they bought Drs Foster and Smith. From what I understand all their Fish come from them.
Petco doesn't own them anymore, and hasn't for a while. And they've never sourced their fish from Petco. Their regular stock comes from Quality Marine in Los Angeles. Their Divers Den stock comes in from overseas and is held in Rhinelander, WI.

I'm not defending Live Aquaria. They've gone seriously downhill. But your info is inaccurate.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Petco doesn't own them anymore, and hasn't for a while. And they've never sourced their fish from Petco. Their regular stock comes from Quality Marine in Los Angeles. Their Divers Den stock comes in from overseas and is held in Rhinelander, WI.

I'm not defending Live Aquaria. They've gone seriously downhill. But your info is inaccurate.

I don't think they said that LA get their fish from PetCo; they said that they thought PetCo got their fish from LA.

Their suggestion was that it would be good if you could ask LA to ship to your local PetCo, which might have been a reasonable suggestion back when PetCo did own LA. I can't even get PetCo to order fish to PetCo (but others have had success with that)!

If only I had a decent LFS less than 2 hours away, then I wouldn't even be considering mail order fish. Unfortunately, I am somewhat pushed into this position by circumstance.

It seems that several stores have 1 or 2 of the fish I am looking at, but none have all of them. This is the only reason I was still considering LA, as they have one of the better selections. However, if the fish aren't actually in stock when they say they are, and if it's a gamble if they will ship what you ordered or not, then I am better off going somewhere else that have what I want in stock, even if this means that I have to place orders with multiple vendors (and pay multiple shipping charges).

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPS charged me $5 a box this time because they called it a hold. I had 2 boxes today. Last time at another UPS store they charged me $10 for 1 box. So I’m not sure what the deal is.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think they said that LA get their fish from PetCo; they said that they thought PetCo got their fish from LA.

Their suggestion was that it would be good if you could ask LA to ship to your local PetCo, which might have been a reasonable suggestion back when PetCo did own LA. I can't even get PetCo to order fish to PetCo (but others have had success with that)!

If only I had a decent LFS less than 2 hours away, then I wouldn't even be considering mail order fish. Unfortunately, I am somewhat pushed into this position by circumstance.

It seems that several stores have 1 or 2 of the fish I am looking at, but none have all of them. This is the only reason I was still considering LA, as they have one of the better selections. However, if the fish aren't actually in stock when they say they are, and if it's a gamble if they will ship what you ordered or not, then I am better off going somewhere else that have what I want in stock, even if this means that I have to place orders with multiple vendors (and pay multiple shipping charges).

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok. I read (and still do) that quote differently than you do, but in any case, I can tell you with 100% certainty that LA does not source their stock from Petco. Perhaps Petco sources their stock from LA, but that I don't know.

I've found the DD fish to be consistently good (no problems at all really), but their regular stock is garbage. DD corals are a different story. Overpriced and in my experience, rarely healthy.

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back