OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also forgot to mention I have been getting copepods to thrive in all my tanks including this one and I often see copepods in his stomachs! I also chop up Wild Patagonian Red shrimp for my BTAs and will add tiny pieces of that to the diet as a treat once and a while.. I am pretty sure my animals eat better than I do.

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the Jellies doing? Did you cycle the aquarium prior to adding the Jellyfish?
Yes I cycled it first. The one jelly that was in good shape on arrival is getting very big. The on the came split in half shrank and disappeared and the one that came a little torn made it a few months but slowly shrank away and never seemed to eat right regardless of what I tried. The one that is left is happy to just eat the dried food so he gets that 1-2 times a day with other treats thrown in.
20210319_164626.jpg
20210319_164623.jpg
20210319_164621.jpg

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one left is getting so big I am not sure 3 that size would fit too well to be honest.

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember when we first got them they were almost hard to see now you can see this on with just white light from across the room.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool def following along. Hope the wife dont see this haha

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For everyone that worries about what to feed moone jellies I have had great success with brineshrimpdirect products below. The price is very reasonable and the results have been great. This has been what I have primarily feed them for the last 2 months, he loves it and is getting bigger by the day.
20210425_084913.jpg

20210425_084956.jpg

JustADude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received a call from LiveAquaria they have the Jellyfish in stock, there was just an issue with the order!
They said they can be shipped out on Monday to arrive Tuesday or let them know what day works the best.
In my experience their customer service has been top notch, things happen especially with everything going on but they have been very responsive and gone the extra mile to make everything right.

Hopefully I will have some Jellyfish to post pictures of on Tuesday.
So what ended up happening? Was the Tank a sufficient home for the Moon Jellyfish or not at all?

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what ended up happening? Was the Tank a sufficient home for the Moon Jellyfish or not at all?
When I got the Jellies 1 was in 2 parts and did not last too long, one kept getting stuck to the filter and seemed to get damaged but lasted a few months and one is still alive and is huge... To be honest I do not think 3 full sized ones would fit very well in the tank.

My biggest issue with the tank initially was that the jelly fish kept getting stuck to the filter, but with a modification I was able to stop them from being stuck. I have a feeling if I had done this right away I would still have 2 Jellyfish instead of only 1.

Overall I am still happy with the tank. I feed it and do a small water change daily on it since you have to suck out the extra food every day but I have a mixing station for my other tanks so I always have fresh saltwater on hand for this. This tank is not perfect and in my opinion needs some polishing, but I have really enjoyed the Jellyfish overall.

JustADude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got the Jellies 1 was in 2 parts and did not last too long, one kept getting stuck to the filter and seemed to get damaged but lasted a few months and one is still alive and is huge... To be honest I do not think 3 full sized ones would fit very well in the tank.

My biggest issue with the tank initially was that the jelly fish kept getting stuck to the filter, but with a modification I was able to stop them from being stuck. I have a feeling if I had done this right away I would still have 2 Jellyfish instead of only 1.

Overall I am still happy with the tank. I feed it and do a small water change daily on it since you have to suck out the extra food every day but I have a mixing station for my other tanks so I always have fresh saltwater on hand for this. This tank is not perfect and in my opinion needs some polishing, but I have really enjoyed the Jellyfish overall.
Care to elaborate on the modification? I actually have the tank myself that I bought on a whim and I have the voucher as well. Right now I'm currently going through cycling, but I was also worrying about them getting caught up in the vents. All I have for now is the sponge blocking it, but past that, no other precautions set in place. Water flow is just right as well.

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a post where someone with the similar looking jellyfish art model took a 7 mesh like the one below:
1610585269212.png

and then cut it to fit under the flow bar and attach it by placing 4 suction cups and pressing it tight to the back filter.
I tried this and the results were terrible:
1610585414956.png

this stopped pretty much all flow from the return bar and 2 jellyfish got stuck almost immediately.

Just out of curiosity there is actually a slot that goes behind the filter and I already had the mesh so I cut it to fit into that slot:
1610585513204.png

So far this has actually worked!!

There is about enough room for 3 pieces of this to fit snug but when I did this the water started overflowing the top into the back chamber and I almost lot a jelly.

After installing this I had to adjust the pump once again and turn it up a little higher but so far it seems to be working!!!

I will keep you all updated with if this works or not.
I Did this and it helped a lot, I also put it on a timer to turn off for 1 minute every couple hours over night just to release any that may have been stuck

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Care to elaborate on the modification? I actually have the tank myself that I bought on a whim and I have the voucher as well. Right now I'm currently going through cycling, but I was also worrying about them getting caught up in the vents. All I have for now is the sponge blocking it, but past that, no other precautions set in place. Water flow is just right as well.
When they were stuck they seemed to get stuck all the time but I put some mesh into the back chamber as above, and for a while I had a timer that would shut off for 1 hour every couple hours over night to release ones that were stuck. I also ordered a longer turkey baster that can reach the bottom to suck up extra food without getting my hands wet

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thing is awesome for this tank, the one that came with it I had to put my hand in the water with this one I can reach the bottom and stay out of the water all together, it also has a slower suction so I can clean up a greater percentage of the bottom at one time:

Fluval 3-In-1 Waste Remover/Feeder - 17"​

turkey baster.jpg

I got this on sale at bigalspets for 3.99 I actually bought 2 of them since I have a few other smaller tanks and it is just long enough to reach the bottom of the other ones as well.

1610736888764.png
This is the turkey baster thing that works perfect for this tank....

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sponge might work as well as the screen I put in, I just could not find one that would stay attached and not be too thick. Good luck with the tank!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back