• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

LiveAquaria Misleading Picture/Coral

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Placed an order for this coral on LiveAquaria, a long-polyped pink Goniopora.

fq9BYyz.jpg

... but received this coral instead, a short-polyped, encrusting green Goniopora.

XzMou4M.jpg

I emailed LiveAquaria expressing my surprise and disappointment, they responded with the following:

"Thank you for your email. We apologize you are unhappy with the specimen received. We would like to note that under the photograph on the web page it states "Due to variations within species, your item may not look identical to the image provided." The color form of this one states blue that is the blue centers of the polyp. After reviewing your photo you have received the correct specimen."

The bolded quote is in tiny print in italics under the first picture. Barely legible, and still doesn't explicitly state you may receive an entirely different coral in another color and form.

I replied with the following:

"This is not an acceptable outcome for me. "Due to variations within species, your item may not look identical to the image provided" — does not mean an entirely different coral. This is a short polyped and green Goniopora coral, the picture is of a long polyped and pink coral. Those are two very drastic differences in morphology.

Furthermore, the coral is not blue in any way, but green. As an experienced hobbyist, I don't read the "Quick Stats" where it states this coral is blue since I'm perfectly aware of the necessary water parameters. This item should have been identified as a different color much more prominently, such as in the "Select Product" menu (picture included for reference) like your company does for nearly every other coral on the website."

BxpGiUM.jpg

(Select Product/Color Options used on other corals but not this one)

They responded with essentially the same message they wrote the first time. They're refusing to refund or give me any kind of compensation whatsoever. Very disappointed with this experience, especially considering I've spent $1,000 with LiveAquaria in April alone. I'll no longer be using them.

The add is right but the pic is definitely misleading, as it shows a rare purple Goni. I would go to the website and screenshot the add “flower pot coral” starting at 21.99$ in that add they have the exact same coral advertised as purple (Australian). With this pictures should be enough to open a case with some one for trying to con people, by using misleading images.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
What is your go to place now, if you don't mind me asking?
The closest fish store worth going to is about 65 miles each way, so ordering online was a option that made it reasonably easy.
I'm going to start looking to make the drive more often.

But as far as getting what you order, Divers Den is still a wysiwyg.
But it's the same customer service as LA.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I dont by live stock on line. I need to see it.

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The closest fish store worth going to is about 65 miles each way, so ordering online was a option that made it reasonably easy.
I'm going to start looking to make the drive more often.

But as far as getting what you order, Divers Den is still a wysiwyg.
But it's the same customer service as LA.
Thanks. Same here. Long drive or on line.

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I’ve never ordered a fish or coral online. I say find a decent source within a reasonable drive and stick to them. I’ve got LFSs all over the place but drive over an hour away to pick up myself. That way, you observe and pick your and ship it straight home. Shouldn’t have to resort to that though. Such a shame
Not all of us have descent, local fish stores. Count yourself lucky.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Placed an order for this coral on LiveAquaria, a long-polyped pink Goniopora.

fq9BYyz.jpg

... but received this coral instead, a short-polyped, encrusting green Goniopora.

XzMou4M.jpg

I emailed LiveAquaria expressing my surprise and disappointment, they responded with the following:

"Thank you for your email. We apologize you are unhappy with the specimen received. We would like to note that under the photograph on the web page it states "Due to variations within species, your item may not look identical to the image provided." The color form of this one states blue that is the blue centers of the polyp. After reviewing your photo you have received the correct specimen."

The bolded quote is in tiny print in italics under the first picture. Barely legible, and still doesn't explicitly state you may receive an entirely different coral in another color and form.

I replied with the following:

"This is not an acceptable outcome for me. "Due to variations within species, your item may not look identical to the image provided" — does not mean an entirely different coral. This is a short polyped and green Goniopora coral, the picture is of a long polyped and pink coral. Those are two very drastic differences in morphology.

Furthermore, the coral is not blue in any way, but green. As an experienced hobbyist, I don't read the "Quick Stats" where it states this coral is blue since I'm perfectly aware of the necessary water parameters. This item should have been identified as a different color much more prominently, such as in the "Select Product" menu (picture included for reference) like your company does for nearly every other coral on the website."

BxpGiUM.jpg

(Select Product/Color Options used on other corals but not this one)

They responded with essentially the same message they wrote the first time. They're refusing to refund or give me any kind of compensation whatsoever. Very disappointed with this experience, especially considering I've spent $1,000 with LiveAquaria in April alone. I'll no longer be using them.
I had same experience, I'm just glad I used CC. Bank resolved the issue.

Lukas75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They didn't put lots of warnings. They put one line in tiny print saying "Due to variations within species, your item may not look identical to the image provided." To me, that means maybe it's a littler smaller than the picture or slightly darker or lighter in color. It doesn't mean a completely different coral altogether.

Also, the ORA corals are not different like the non-Diver's Den stock sold directly from LiveAquaria themselves. When you buy an ORA coral from LiveAquaria, you get that same coral species in the exact color pictured shipped directly from ORA. That's the whole point of buying an ORA-branded coral or fish – you pay a higher price for a premium, aquacultured coral that is somewhat standardized in size, color, and shape. This was absolutely not the case in my situation.
Honestly, when you order from Wisconsin you are getting LAs aquaculture facility (not as good as it used to be since they got bought); California is drop ship directly from the wholesaler so god knows what you are going to get or the condition it will be in. California is TERRIBLE; ORA from what I am to understand is drop shipped from ORA so kinda hard for it to be wrong. Hope this helps explain the differences.

As for their customer service, they got bought, and they went downhill after that. They used to be the best for customer service, sad really.

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back