Livestock for Aiptasia Control

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, for manual control I tried every chemical in the book. I had the most success with blue life aiptasia rx.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the exact stuff I am currently using. Maybe it's my application technique, but I toast one and a week later there's 5 small ones.
Hmm. I used it on the big ones when I first added my filefish because he was only taking out the small ones. I nuked each one and left flow off for 15-20 min before turning back on. It's possible it created a bunch of small and then he took them out. Other products weren't even fully knocking out the big ones though.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably. Cheapest I've seen is $24. Most has been about $40, it's nutty when you need 8-10 of them for even a small tank. Jeez, might as well set up a tank and just breed nudis. Fund my whole reefing hobby off it.
Out here in Toronto area, about the same price point. I have about 4 or 5 currently in my tank, and it's been about a year since seeing the first one. In reading through this thread I WAS thinking about trying to nuke em by some of the traditional methods, now not so sure lol. Last thing I need is an explosion of em. Was also thinking of trying F Apitasia, if I can find it here. Might just bite the bullet and go with some Bhergia sooner than later...

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get this info??? I have 4 filefish between 2 tanks - 18 + anemones and the filefish are model citizens

My lfs, when I asked about filefish, while holding a freshly bagged up rainbow BTA. Maybe they had a bad experience with a rogue filefish.

Hilltopreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Success! Today I acquired four berghia nudibranches. I am very much looking forward to seeing the aiptasia disappear one by one.
Remember it will take some time. You’ll think the nudibranchs are dead but after a while the aptasia will go missing a few at a time. Then they’ll be gone.

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this sounds. Crazy. But I have been quarantining live rock with new coral and invert purchases. If something comes up over a few months time I can easily remove it before it goes in the display

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a file fish to no success. He did nip at the nassarius snails.
can’t find the specific nudis in Canada so didn’t try this even though I’d like to.
I bought three peppermint shrimp, two survived. I went really light on the feeding for the first couple of weeks and combined with Aptasia x, my aptasia has really come down. Certainly not gone but the tank looks much better.
I did get a Copperband that didn’t make it through quarantine sadly.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing beats Berghias
Screenshot_20210124-204658_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210124-204718_Gallery.jpg

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with 2 in my tank, disappeared for almost a month, but then they reproduced, I traded 3 that I could find, and still have about 6 that I can see and count all of different sizes. They haven't eaten all the aipstatia, but they do take care of the ones on the rocks and glass. I like them, look so cool and cute. I have a healthy amount of aipstatia growing on my returns and seeding my tank which I think is keeping them alive and reproducing.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember it will take some time. You’ll think the nudibranchs are dead but after a while the aptasia will go missing a few at a time. Then they’ll be gone.
Definitely this. Plus you won’t see them at all as they hide in the rocks and are only active at night, until all the aiptasia is gone, then they will be out during the day looking for more

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Blue head Kleini Butterfy. eats aptasia like candy, friendly, does not bother coral, Eats all dry and frozen foods.

newbie2014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I was lucky......spend $25 for 5 peppermint shrimps, and they wiped out 10-15 aiptasia (and a few big ones) over the next few days. I haven't seen neither the shrimps nor aiptasia for almost a year now.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back