Livestock list (opinions needed)

KentuckyKenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving to the next step of setting up my reef tank I have decided on a potential list of livestock for my tank. I am going to use a 40 or 50 gallon tank. What do you guys think of the list? Have I committed any no-no's? I will be using live rock and sand. Can't wait to hear your opinions.

OP
OP
KentuckyKenny

KentuckyKenny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad.

pajama cardinal
tailspot blennny
false percula clownfish (2)
fountain feather duster
peppermint shrimp
margarita turbo snails (10)
long tipped anemone

Do I really need Live Rock?

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bad.

pajama cardinal
tailspot blennny
false percula clownfish (2)
fountain feather duster
peppermint shrimp
margarita turbo snails (10)
long tipped anemone

Do I really need Live Rock?
Dry rock is fine but you’ll want to cycle it first. Peppermint shrimp aren’t safe with corals I don’t trust them at all around most things.

Margarita snails are a cold water snail so they won’t live very long if you keep your tank in the mid-high 70s like i do. I suggest cerith snails instead. The best cleaner snails out there they’ll literally eat any kind of algea, diatoms, you name it they eat it. I have like 20 in my biocube 32 led so you’ll need like 30-50 probably in your tank. Don’t worry they’re small.

I don’t think that’s too many fish. Honestly I’d get another pajama cardinal mine lived forever in a school of 3.

I’m also in KY if you need tips on where to get stuff hit me up

Arcflash_207

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry rock is fine but you’ll want to cycle it first. Peppermint shrimp aren’t safe with corals I don’t trust them at all around most things.

Margarita snails are a cold water snail so they won’t live very long if you keep your tank in the mid-high 70s like i do. I suggest cerith snails instead. The best cleaner snails out there they’ll literally eat any kind of algea, diatoms, you name it they eat it. I have like 20 in my biocube 32 led so you’ll need like 30-50 probably in your tank. Don’t worry they’re small.

I don’t think that’s too many fish. Honestly I’d get another pajama cardinal mine lived forever in a school of 3.

I’m also in KY if you need tips on where to get stuff hit me up
Since when are peppermint shrimp not reef safe? Never had any problems myself.

Arcflash_207

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving to the next step of setting up my reef tank I have decided on a potential list of livestock for my tank. I am going to use a 40 or 50 gallon tank. What do you guys think of the list? Have I committed any no-no's? I will be using live rock and sand. Can't wait to hear your opinions.
Definitely wait until your tank is pretty established to add the anemone. As far as using liverock, you don't need to you can dona dry rock start, but I'm not sure I would want to do that for my first go around due to the ugly stage issues you can have.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on waiting better part of a year for the anemone. For the dry rock you should have 40+ lbs with plenty of hiding spots for your inhabitants

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 40 or 50, you will probably want more fish than that. Maybe a trio of cardinal fish instead of 1. You can do a small wrasse if you have a tight lid. You can also do some gobies and such.
Couple things that have been mentioned: margarita snails are really not the best. Cerith are my favorite followed by trochus and astrea. These guys are a bit more hardy also.
The Long tentacle anemone is on the difficult side. Make sure you have a good stable tank before adding one.
This also goes for the feather duster. You want a nice stable tank with maturity for its food source.

You can start with dry rock (they now call it dry live rock which to me is really stupid, but whatever). I have found live rock a better option for newer tanks and newer reef keepers. Just makes the tank a bit more stable. You can get it from a fellow reefer or just some cured at a lfs. It does not have to be the live rock from the ocean.

Jcascioli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the list but I agree you could add a few more smaller fish to it. The tail spot blennies are awesome little fish with a funny personality. I have one in my 6’ 220 and he’s the smallest fish with the biggest personality. A small wrasse would be nice and utilitarian for pest control. Live rock is nice bc it will help you get up and running a bit faster. But I’m a dry rock guy. I like to really take the time and build the perfect aqua scape. I prefer a mix of NSA and shelf rock to really give my fish tons of hiding spots and tons of room for coral.
Good Luck on the new tank!!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back