Livestock plans - 14gal

FITZ7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again everyone!
By this time next week my tank will be broken down and set up again at my new place. I have been holding off on any additions due to the upcoming process. I have a 14g IM peninsula, so my plan is to keep it short and sweet with stock.

Currently: 5 scarlet hermits, 2 trochus snails, and quite a bit of random life and micro fauna from my LR. (One of the feather dusters is growing like a weed, making me very happy about the maturation process the tank is going through)

Future: My top pick right now is a Pink Streaked Wrasse. I'm aware of the demand and availability for the species so my hopes are tempered at this point, but still there! :D

Besides that I only intend to add one other fish which will be something like a Tail Spot Blenny or a mostly ground dwelling goby.

I'm looking for input on my plans or any alternate ideas in the case that I can't get the wrasse. I'm very interested in getting a reef safe wrasse in general, but the choices are quite limited for a 14 gallon and something else may need to be substituted. Thanks for reading and happy reefing!

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rainsford gobies (listed in previous posts) are a good choice, although they do dump sand. Fortunately they are small enough that they shouldn't cause too many problems. The tailspot blenny is a great fish and will help you keep your algae under control, the only downside is that even when fully grown are tiny and you might not see it much. I definitely agree on the Pinkstreaked Wrasse though, it will definitely give you something more unique than people going "Oh look, another pair of clownfish"

OP
OP
FITZ7

FITZ7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rainsford gobies are pretty awesome, that’s a good suggestion. I didn’t know tailspots were so shy. The old lawnmower I had was like a puppy lol. I definitely want an active fish because I only plan to keep 2. I’m really hoping I can get the pink streaked, it would be the crown jewel for me at the moment.

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is indeed a pretty cool wrasse! I hope you find one :)

OP
OP
FITZ7

FITZ7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is! I'm really interested in wrasses right now so I've been thinking about possibly looking for one of the possums types out there first since it may be a bit easier to find than the pink streaked. Then I could just keep that as the only fish until I could get a pink streaked.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is! I'm really interested in wrasses right now so I've been thinking about possibly looking for one of the possums types out there first since it may be a bit easier to find than the pink streaked. Then I could just keep that as the only fish until I could get a pink streaked.

Wrasses are very cool and IMHO the most underrated fish in the marine aquarium hobby. Tons of color, personality and activity. I only have a juvie melanurus wrasse in my 90 gallon but it definitely makes it's presence known and is a ham. It is also not afraid of ANY fish I have paired it with and although it doesn't pick fights, it definitely won't back down from a fish that tries to bully or intimidate it. I watched it beat up my jerk of a clownfish after the clown spent a while attempting to bully it, my Yellow Tang and Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel attempted to do the "pecking order and dominance" thing on my wrasse the first day I added them and it took them both on at the same time and didn't back down. They chilled out pretty quickly and by the end of the day they were all hanging out together. Yesterday I watched my Wrasse rip a piece of Reef Frenzy right out of my Tang's mouth and the Tang just moved on and found other food. Either way between the personality and eventual color it will develop, I am very happy with the fish overall. Here is my wrasse hamming it up while I was attempting to film my corals:

OP
OP
FITZ7

FITZ7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jesterrace I will watch it when I get home! I've never kept any myself but through research they seem to be very intelligent fish and have plenty of personality. There's no doubt in my mind they are the most gorgeous group you can pick from, some of the markings are just mind blowing. The great part is that if I happened to get those 2 wrasses they would be incredibly different looking but probably have somewhat similar demeanor and coexist quite nicely, since they both prefer very passive tank mates.

OP
OP
FITZ7

FITZ7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He really didn't want your Euphyllias to steal the spotlight @Jesterrace :p Man I wish I had more room now! Beautiful fish, your tank looks great too.

While I'm at it, here's a look at my tank!
IMG_1710.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
FITZ7

FITZ7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to update this a bit, my Pink streaked will be arriving in the morning! Can't wait to see him/her and I hope they don't have a bad flight. Ill add some pics when possible.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are still open to adding another fish try a shrimp-goby pair. They're the coolest symbiotic relationship following clowns and anemones IMO and a lot of them come in gorgeous colors. Might need a little more sand but they are worth the small hassle

OP
OP
FITZ7

FITZ7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past I kept a yasha with a pistol shrimp and loved them but they are a bit too shy for my tastes in this tank.

I was actually considering doing a wheeler community for awhile before I got wrasses on the brain haha. I do like the idea of a pair with a wrasse, but I’m waiting for my favorite LFS to reopen at their new location

Unfortunately the pink streaked didn’t make it though shipping and acclimation so I’ve been trying to order another or a possum wrasse locally instead of across the country.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past I kept a yasha with a pistol shrimp and loved them but they are a bit too shy for my tastes in this tank.

I was actually considering doing a wheeler community for awhile before I got wrasses on the brain haha. I do like the idea of a pair with a wrasse, but I’m waiting for my favorite LFS to reopen at their new location

Unfortunately the pink streaked didn’t make it though shipping and acclimation so I’ve been trying to order another or a possum wrasse locally instead of across the country.

Ah that sucks. If the possum also doesn’t work out one thing you can try to do is have your LFS order for you, which usually turns out better

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ah that sucks. If the possum also doesn’t work out one thing you can try to do is have your LFS order for you, which usually turns out better

OP
OP
FITZ7

FITZ7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sonofives Yeah that's actually what I meant, I'm trying to order through my LFS. I'm probably going to give it a couple more weeks to see if they can come up with anything. If not my plan is to just pick something up they have in shop. I'm starting to get a little impatient watching snails and hermits haha the tank will be hitting the 4 month mark in a week.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 43.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back