Living Rocks and Velvet

Starbucks Junky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If living rock was inside of a tank with velvet, what's the best way to treat the rock before you put it into another tank. Or will keeping it fallow in cold water work to kill the velvet? If so, how long should it remain in the water? Thank you in advance for your help!!

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Play it safe for 76 days. Keep tank typical temperature. I realize that increasing the heat may shorten the cycle, but then again, why risking your tank. Velvet is a tank killer.

OP
OP
Starbucks Junky

Starbucks Junky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Play it safe for 76 days. Keep tank typical temperature. I realize that increasing the heat may shorten the cycle, but then again, why risking your tank. Velvet is a tank killer.
Thank you for your quick response. The rocks are not in a tank, they are currently in a bucket with cold water. My daughter got them and then found out they came from a tank that had velvet. She wants to put them in her tank, but we are wondering the best way to treat/manage them before we put into her tank. Do you think 76 days in a bucket of cold water will kill the velvet or does it need to be heated? Thank you!!

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you do not want to start with life rock? You could bleach it and dry it to start new with bacteria. This may make sense if there are concerns re brook or nuisance algae as well. There is a receipt somewhere for both.
If you want to keep the rock life... put in bucket with heater at 78 and power head for 76 days. Technically if it was colder that would be technically longer. More of concern however in mho is the state of the nitrifying bacteria.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not 76 days, that is for ich, and that is under contention, Jay Hemdal recently made a post regarding that subject. I recommend giving it a search.

45 days in heated water at 81f and the rock will be Velvet free. Cold water slows the life cycle so all bets are off for time. Be sure to "feed" the bacteria with ammonia or a piece of shrimp left to rot.

If you don't care about the bacteria, algae or anything live on it, soak it in a strong bleach solution for 24 hours, rinse thoroughly and let dry.

Either of those and you're golden.

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not 76 days, that is for ich, and that is under contention, Jay Hemdal recently made a post regarding that subject. I recommend giving it a search.

45 days in heated water at 81f and the rock will be Velvet free. Cold water slows the life cycle so all bets are off for time. Be sure to "feed" the bacteria with ammonia or a piece of shrimp left to rot.

If you don't care about the bacteria, algae or anything live on it, soak it in a strong bleach solution for 24 hours, rinse thoroughly and let dry.

Ups. You are right Humblefish has it a 6 weeks, and yes it’s contended. Long week. not functioning.

OP
OP
Starbucks Junky

Starbucks Junky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you so much! We will look for Jay Hemdal's post.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 66 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back