Living Rocks: What makes the best rock for live rock? Let's discuss!

Woud you rather start a tank with dry rock or live rock from the ocean?

• Dry Rock

Votes: 228 41.4%
  • Live Rock

Votes: 179 32.5%
  • Combo of both

Votes: 134 24.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 10 1.8%

• Total voters

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cured live rock, I will forgo sponges and cool critters.
I can add diversity and avoid Apitasia, Flatworms, Vermetid, Majano, Hydroids....

Nilo S

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry rock all the way, I'm not having any more mantis shrimps waking me up in the middle of the night. Those are really common where I used to get my live rock from.

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used about 90% dry rock so I could aquascape, then filled in with about 10% true live rock from 3 different lfs's I trust.

2 of those sources gave me only pods, corraline algae and a bit of aptasia. The last source was live rock out of the lfs's 30 year display, removed to make room for more coral. That third source got me micro stars, bivalves and a few different types of sponges.

Honestly this is the only way I will ever go. I really believe in biodiversity and love using real live rock, but like the price/ability to aquascape using dry rock.

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock is probably much better with all the biodiversity, and if we really want to recreate a reef, might as well use a piece of it!

However, I feel much better using dry or artificial rock because I'd rather not take from the wild, especially with global warming, etc killing reefs.

squampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like dry rock or the real reef rock, or the dry rock stores put in water and call live rock, but its pretty much the only options these days. I miss the diversity that came in on the live rock from the ocean, sure there was a risk of hitchhikers but I never got one that caused any major issues, and felt the benefit of live rock and the diversity outweighed the risks.

I loved the macro algae, little brittle stars, the little feather dusters and all the other little life that came in on live rock. I was just never able to replicate that with dry rock.

I just can't replicate the diversity live rock had with dry rock, but its pretty much the only option, haven't seen real live rock in stores in years now, its all white dry rock, purple dry rock, or real reef rock.

I should never have left the hobby in 2008, when I came back in 2016 live rock was gone.

Last edited:

Reefer of Oz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take this as you may from a new aquarist who has not finished their first build yet, HA!:
1. I feel as natural and ocean sourced as possible is the best option. The biodiversity in aquacultured rock just cannot be recreated. For me, I’m sooooo excited to get my tank going to watch all the crazy life emerge! I have seen friends’ tanks crash and come back with different critters than where not obvious before. And that very biodiversity is also able to help the whole system handle different stressors better. I believe I read some where (can’t find the post) about a grading scale for sourcing from the ocean. Grade A=straight off the reef, 100% natural, regulated; Grade B=natural rock, seeded in ocean aquaculture facilities; Grade C= cultured rock, ocean seeded....etc. Of course there are the bad hitch hikers, but I think the rewards out way the risks.
2.I am currently working on my first build (still gotta get that thread going). I acquired a large amount of dead live rock along with my hand me down 75g. Once it’s cleaned, effectively I got a bunch of natural dry rock that has nature evolved structure to support a much needed biodiversity. And I can shape and scape it as I see fit!? Cool! I then plan to purchase some Grade B rock from TBS. I’m thinking 30-50# of rock and 50-80# live sand to cycle and seed my tank. I’ll cram some in my sump too I’m sure, HA!

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot of us reefers forget that there are way more reef tanks out there in the world kept by people not on this forum or others. And the internet amplifies complaints or bad things that happen. An example would be pretty much every manufacturer of cars - how many million good cars have they all built - reliable and minimal/ no issues. But it seems like every person on the internet swears off a brand or the lemon they had etc.

I feel it’s very similar with dry rock, you hear more vocal complaints than praise. I’ve started 6 tanks over the last 20 years with all dry rock and never had any major issues, sure some algae early on on the bone white rock but that’s expected. Currently I’m on 7 and 6 years with 2 of my current tanks, and the newest one is almost 6 months. All are doing great, all are looking great.

I feel the biggest failure a lot of current reefers are facing isn’t which rock they chose, but it is rushing everything. Trying to push the limits of how fast they can cycle and add corals before the Instagram followers don’t give them any likes.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What makes the best rock for live rock and why do you say so?
A. Last time I purchased live rock, Fiji was the best of what was still available here in the U.S.

2. What type of rock do you currently have in your saltwater reef aquarium?

A. I started with a combination of live (Fiji) and dry (BRS Reef Saver). You acquire the benefits of live with a smaller impact to the reefs. Cooking the rock was a pain but it also gives you the flexibility on the back end to spend as much time as you like on the aquascape without worrying about killing beneficial critters within the live rock.

twistedfinn967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious as to how many of the poll respondents that voted for dry rock have tried actually tried live rock right from the ocean?

For me, I've done dry and my current 120 I went with live rock from TBS. For what my opinion is worth, from here on out it will always be live from the ocean.

kru008

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Home made crushed oyster shells, mixed with cement and salt. It's very customizable to whatever shape I want it to be.

2. I currently have custom made rocks mainly flat rocks for platforms and overhangs.

20200709012544.jpg

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rather have ocean rock from indo-pacific but thats not happening. So I found what I could here and started clean

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used both and I won’t lie real live rock from ocean after cycled I had far less issues specially with algae. Dry rock getting the shapes and cuts that are so unique and allows better aquascaping to me.

Right now, I am curing dry Pukani rock for my next build but it has gotten so costly just for live ocean rock or rubble.

With that being said anyone knows places with good prices/shipping I wanna try to add some real rock or rubble to seed than bottled up bacteria?

Jvf93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best rock is the one without a hitchhiker on it. Fiji live rock full of so much life. I prefer buying dry rock and be 100% safe

Kyle Rinker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If time would allow, I would prefer to start a new tank with dry rock that been cured for a year or more in a new and pest-free system. Best of both worlds--established rock with plenty of bacteria and pest-free :)

Kjeldh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone aqua scaped using dominate dry shelf rock with some integrated live rock. Never had luck aqua scaping exclusively with shapeless live rock. Pictures would be appreciated

ChineyRas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m shocked at these replies. Curious to know how many people who chose live rock also quarantine corals or just throw frags/colonies straight into the tank for more biodiversity.

Was drawn to this thread because I’m on my third build. Used live Fiji rock the first two. No issues with the first, but second and current tank is infested with vermetid snails.

I was planning on using only dry rock for this one since I’ve seen so many threads and videos on YouTube preaching how important it is to quarantine and avoid unwanted pests. It’s been my understanding that dry rock won’t look as nice in the beginning or come with those cool little critters, but with patience, you’re setting yourself up for long-term success.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a perfect world which is something I had at one point you start your tank out with cured rock and then after it has cycled and gone through the ugly stage you start replacing the rock a section at a time with fresh live rock that is full of sponges and all the diverse life forms. I did pick up some pistol shrimp and a pair of tiny octopuses along the way but those were eventually weeded out:
Once all the rock is all changed and you mount your corals you will be shocked at how beautiful the tank will look.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back