OP
mpoletiek

mpoletiek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dropped 2 fighting conchs in for the sand.

Attachments

• IMG_5943.jpg
    IMG_5943.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
mpoletiek

mpoletiek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like your "tall" 'scape
Thanks! Tried to leave plenty of room for swimming and sand with some floor rocks popping out while proving plenty of caves and hidey holes.

No glue/cement..... Probably a bit risky, but it's held up well and hopefully when the coralline comes in I won't have to worry about it anymore.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Tried to leave plenty of room for swimming and sand with some floor rocks popping out while proving plenty of caves and hidey holes.

No glue/cement..... Probably a bit risky, but it's held up well and hopefully when the coralline comes in I won't have to worry about it anymore.
I usually don't glue anything because I invariably decide to move some rockwork as corals grow, I want different flow, etc.

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update.

Diatoms in full bloom.

Added 1 yellow watchman goby, 4 margarita snails, and 2 emerald crabs.

Snails are getting after the diatoms slowly but surely.

Added 8 jars of copepods from algaebarn and some chaeto to the sump.

Apex salinity probe broke when attempting to calibrate it. Successfully re-calibrated pH probe.

Got a TM Hydrometer incoming, hopefully that makes testing salinity a better experience.

Not super keen on the filter socks. They work. When I had them out for a day when adding copepods a film and foam began to develop on the surface of the sump water. Putting the socks back in removed the surface scum. However I have to replace them all the time!

Not super excited about adding a skimmer. Would love to get the copepod population sustainable. Feeding live phytoplankton daily.
It's definitely doable. I'm at a stage where i have no mechanical filtration. Primary export method is caulerpa. Pods are healthy, minimal algae.

I did have to use filter socks at first while the system matured.

OP
OP
mpoletiek

mpoletiek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely doable. I'm at a stage where i have no mechanical filtration. Primary export method is caulerpa. Pods are healthy, minimal algae.

I did have to use filter socks at first while the system matured.
Will have to do some research on caulerpa. Thanks!

ColonelCrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You seem to be going at this very agressively for your first saltwater aquarium. May have missed something going through the thread but do you have experience away from this tank in reefing or did you just do a ton of research and go into this like a breacher(exactly what i tried to do but am constantly doubling back)

In my readings ive accepted i should not concern myself with trace elements for the first couple years unless i were dumping a bunch of money onto massive colonies to add but i am just starting with a few frags and plan to add maybe 1 or 2 a month until i have everything i hope to establish into the habitat i envisioned at the beginning. I am hopeful this will allow everything to settle in(mostly wallet) and the water to stabilize between and monitoring to be consistent and easier to track the effects of water changes.

Really curious what your plan is for populating the tank and think that might help some of the experts give you more direct advice in helping you. If thats what youre looking for.

Looking forward to more of your updates!!

ColonelCrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also as you have a nice mixing station already and i am assuming live in Arizona for your water temp(here in florida even peak heat this past summer i was fine in not having to cool it) have you considered running it through a radiator? Obviously want to avoid copper but i imagine the P.C. market might have options available if you dont want to head down toa junk yard scrap a car and have a massive fan plowing around your mixing station versusaybe a couple 120mm fans that can maybe do the job even inline for your water changes

OP
OP
mpoletiek

mpoletiek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely dove into the deep end, but she's running smoothly now with stable parameters. Just gotta keep an eye on the skimmer and dosing reservoirs!

I'll update the original post eventually.

Hubert J. Farnsworth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mpoletiek

nice tank, i'd love a 165.4, but a 125.3 might be a little more likely for my next upgrade. either one doesn't seem to have much room in the cabinet for dosing containers. where are you stashing yours?

OP
OP
mpoletiek

mpoletiek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a parts list for the mixing station? Looks cool, something I'd like to have set up at my new house.
Unfortunately I don't.

Typical setup I'd imagine. The tanks I sourced from a local yard. Pipes, tubing, and fittings are typical.

Here are the parts worth mentioning:
Pump: Barracuda
RO/DI: 5 Stage waterbox (aquafx rebranded) with an extra RO cannister added.
Aquatek booster pump for RO/DI input.

Float valves, pressure switches where needed.

OP
OP
mpoletiek

mpoletiek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mpoletiek

nice tank, i'd love a 165.4, but a 125.3 might be a little more likely for my next upgrade. either one doesn't seem to have much room in the cabinet for dosing containers. where are you stashing yours?
You're right. There's literally no room in the cabinet.

I have my apex DOS system mounted inside, but the containers and my trident sit outside.

Here are some pics.... I need to top off my top off :D

Attachments

• 20230201_115139.jpg
    20230201_115139.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 20230201_115152.jpg
    20230201_115152.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 33

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back