OP
OP
Livinlocal

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to add a little bit of information so I could look back on it.

So yesterday after noticing my coral spawning, I decided to take my filter socks out to see if it will populate my display. I know the odds of this are very slim, but I have had my green pocillopora spawn, and I have little colonies all over my tank haha. I plan on leaving the filter socks off for a few days, then putting them back in.

OP
OP
Livinlocal

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a few packs going out this next week! And a little inside look at my OCD hahaha

76A2B18D-8626-445F-A830-F863844DAAF8.jpeg

Merry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am gob smacked, this is absolutely beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing!

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely beautiful tank!! Thanks for sharing it with us:)

OP
OP
Livinlocal

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to share this info for anyone who may find it useful and to document our readings today.

So a friend came over with his Par meter so we could see what kind of par numbers my light fixtures are putting out with new bulbs (New 60” bulbs, 7 month old 48” bulbs). I had no idea what to expect for numbers but I’ll mention my light setup then the results.

So... one fixture is a 6 bulb 60” ATI with 4 blue blue, 1 aqua blue, and 1 coral plus. I also have a 2 bulb 48” no name fixture with 1 blue plus and 1 purple plus. This fixture is mounted in the canopy with the ATI but is mounted towards the front of the tank and centered since it’s only 48”. The picture will explain this better if it doesn’t make sense. The tank is 72” long

D92DEDB0-00F1-4265-B120-0FDC3F3F5A02.jpeg
B0327E9C-54A8-49EC-ADF3-00B79F77FFBD.jpeg

So as you can anticipate, the numbers would naturally be less near the sides as the ATI doesn’t span the entire width, but the number were still really good.

All of the sps in the top and center sections are getting 620 par, and the sps that are almost half way down are getting 450ish par, and the sandbed (barebottom) is getting 250 par. Even the corals at the very edge on top are gettin 380 par. Here are a few locations the par was tested.

7936FDD7-2EEB-414A-8338-55DC633DB999.jpeg

So pretty much all of my sps are receiving over 300 par, with 90% of my sps between 550-620!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful aquarium! It just looks super healthy. Thanks for showing the whole setup.

OP
OP
Livinlocal

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is something else I wanted to share today, and this is actually the second time I e seen this happen. If it happens again, I will have to move one of the corals. Coincidently the other day I saw somebodies thread asking if plate corals move around. Well I can confirm that they do, And if they don’t like their neighbors, they will go fight them LOL. This is the second time my plate has hobbled over to the hammers and is starting a fight ! What the heck!? Haha. Needless to say, I moved the plate back so we will see what happens by morning. Hopefully they can make up and be happy neighbors.

Also it’s not the flow moving the plate, the flow moves in the opposite direction. Please excuse the Cyano. I’m trying to figure out why it’s even here with such low nutrients. Any ideas ?

18D0F4EE-449A-4E26-B793-8C85FBB46A02.jpeg

A4FA4C7C-3A12-4FA8-8F57-AD5B530500FE.jpeg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyno bacteria can thrive in low nutrient systems were other organisms cannot which is why if you are low nutrient you may be having a few issues with it appearing.

There are many articles on it and below is quiet useful and may point you in the right direction.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/theory-on-nutrient-ratios-and-algae-bacteria.337339/

And I can also confirm plate corals move. Well mine does as well! It’s not started fighting yet but will keep an eye on him now.

Very nice system by the way and pictures.

OP
OP
Livinlocal

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyno bacteria can thrive in low nutrient systems were other organisms cannot which is why if you are low nutrient you may be having a few issues with it appearing.

There are many articles on it and below is quiet useful and may point you in the right direction.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/theory-on-nutrient-ratios-and-algae-bacteria.337339/

And I can also confirm plate corals move. Well mine does as well! It’s not started fighting yet but will keep an eye on him now.

Very nice system by the way and pictures.

Thank you for posting the link. I have heard that it can appear in the nutrient systems but I honestly haven’t researched it yet. My phosphates are pretty much undetectable, and The last time I checked my nitrates they were 0.25. From the little bit I do know, I’m assuming it might be my carbon reactor causing it because I’d run it 24 seven because of the soft corals I also have in my tank with my SPS. I’m gonna read that article just a few minutes, thanks again. And thank you for the compliments

OP
OP
Livinlocal

Livinlocal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone was wondering, I ship corals ! Here’s a couple packages going out to other members right now.
F2887A76-D141-4B2C-B4AE-BF17219AEB27.jpeg

Back