Lobophyllia Flipped Over Onto Gonioporia?

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ugh... came home today to find my large Lobo somehow flipped over onto my Goniopora? I’m not even sure how this happened or how long they were like this but it looks like it’s been a while. I do have a very guilty looking Sand Sifting Starfish, but I don’t know if he could have done it.
Obviously, they’re separated now but is there anything I should do?
The Lobo looks like nothing even happened, the Goni looks like the large portion that was touching the Lobo is probably beyond saving at the moment. The polyps retracted, so maybe they’ll survive but the tissue on the skeleton is definitely burned.
Any suggestions, condolences, similar experience stories welcome! Bleh... sad day for my Goni... of course it’s my fave in the tank too! :(

17FF1514-B252-4322-BC1B-E367A37E6283.jpeg 94844D6B-F05E-45E5-B55D-996F08B94AB2.jpeg B5FA74E4-40A5-4D8E-AD9B-2B98CF5B04F6.jpeg

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh... came home today to find my large Lobo somehow flipped over onto my Goniopora? I’m not even sure how this happened or how long they were like this but it looks like it’s been a while. I do have a very guilty looking Sand Sifting Starfish, but I don’t know if he could have done it.
Obviously, they’re separated now but is there anything I should do?
The Lobo looks like nothing even happened, the Goni looks like the large portion that was touching the Lobo is probably beyond saving at the moment. The polyps retracted, so maybe they’ll survive but the tissue on the skeleton is definitely burned.
Any suggestions, condolences, similar experience stories welcome! Bleh... sad day for my Goni... of course it’s my fave in the tank too! :(

17FF1514-B252-4322-BC1B-E367A37E6283.jpeg 94844D6B-F05E-45E5-B55D-996F08B94AB2.jpeg B5FA74E4-40A5-4D8E-AD9B-2B98CF5B04F6.jpeg
It will most likely be fine though. Once had a war coral burn two whole polyps off a bowerbanki, it rebounded somewhat quickly.

If you’re super concerned, give it a quick iodine dip.

Last edited:

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would somewhat disagree as my lobo has damaged corals in close proximity multiple times. There's a good chance that the Goni might die in that one spot. Id watch it for brown jelly as goni's are really susceptible. It does look like there is some damage curently.

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would somewhat disagree as my lobo has damaged corals in close proximity multiple times. There's a good chance that the Goni might die in that one spot. Id watch it for brown jelly as goni's are really susceptible. It does look like there is some damage curently.
I’m definitely going to keep an eye on it. If it looks really bad in the morning, I will definitely give it an iodine dip. What a bummer! :(

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m definitely going to keep an eye on it. If it looks really bad in the morning, I will definitely give it an iodine dip. What a bummer! :(
If it does get brown jelley act fast, If you need any advice dont be afraid to ask. I've battled brown jelly and so far I've been successful! The act sooner than later as brown jelley kills fast!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back