Locally Purchased Tang Dead before Home

Surf985

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Forum Friends!

I purchased a Powder Blue tang from a local store this evening. It was fat and happy, so I figured I had a decent shot. I made a fairly large purchase including 2 lobo colonies, so the fish ended up getting bagged while I was talking colony prices with the owner. Didn't think much of it - they're fairly reputable and I've had all good experiences. Besides, the bagger is essentially the shop manager.

When I get home, I pull the bag out and see the fish on its side acting erratic. A white "stress spot" has appeared just under the dorsal fin, and it's only swimming on one side or straight up and down (occasionally gulping air or spitting water at the surface while swirling itself through the tank). I notice a bulge on the side closest to the surface, so some quick research here says it's likely either swim bladder damage (didn't have that in store - was healthy and well observed) or that it possibly had head trauma getting caught. A few hours later (3 or 4) and the stress spots literally look like the blue is being poured out, and white lines are streaked down its body as it's now lying on the bottom of the tank content to die. (To clarify, this is not ick spots. Similar color loss to my foxface when startled, though far more extreme and obviously begging for death).

As a note, the Tomini I purchased - so far - is perfectly fine. Shy. But fine.

I understand most saltwater fish aren't returnable. I understand typically I'd have responsibility to take care of it, and that failure is usually on me with an in store purchase. In this case, what should I do? The fish was fine in store, but after a short drive home, it's suddenly in noticeably poor condition still in the bag. Quarantine essentially just confirmed it was rapidly chasing death. The store closed shortly after I got home, so I couldn't call tonight. Would you call in the morning and ask the owner for a refund? I'm assuming that's a waste of time given it'll be 15 hours later at the least, and he did knock off $20 or so since I had such a big purchase. Or do I just accept the loss and assume a $70 store donation and watch like a hawk next time?

Getting a bit frustrated with this hobby and appreciate your thoughts and maybe some encouragement too.

Last edited:

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would call and explain, and see what they are willing to do,,, some will give you store credit for their cost of the fish..

Some fish experience PTSD and dont make it home.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Quick thing to consider - often fish get put in bags and swim straight to the bottom corner to "feel safe". Then, that bag gets put in the shopping bag and the fish can get caught in the corner and get pinched and begin to suffocate. This can cause irreversible stress/damage and the fish may never recover. Unfortunately I've lost two fish this way. Since then, I always put the bags on their side instead of standing up in the bag.

In answer to your question, contact the fish store and ask. You never know what they'll tell you. I've even had Petco offer me a 50% refund.

Pneumatic_Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was netting a Tomini for a customer once. Green Anthias in the same tank got so stressed from the net being in the tank he swam erratically, froze up stiff, sank to the bottom and died. All within maybe 15 seconds. Like a heart attack. Craziest dang thing.

Some fish really over stress themselves in the process. Depending on how he was netted/bagged I’m sure it was a factor.

I’d take pictures/videos with time stamps on them. Just a little extra CYA when you call tomorrow.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was netting a Tomini for a customer once. Green Anthias in the same tank got so stressed from the net being in the tank he swam erratically, froze up stiff, sank to the bottom and died. All within maybe 15 seconds. Like a heart attack. Craziest dang thing.

Some fish really over stress themselves in the process. Depending on how he was netted/bagged I’m sure it was a factor.

I’d take pictures/videos with time stamps on them. Just a little extra CYA when you call tomorrow.
that doesnt surprise me,, but its crazy,,, my maroon still has ptsd from being transferred from my DT to my frag tank

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey Forum Friends!

I purchased a Powder Blue tang from a local store this evening. It was fat and happy, so I figured I had a decent shot. I made a fairly large purchase including 2 lobo colonies, so the fish ended up getting bagged while I was talking colony prices with the owner. Didn't think much of it - they're fairly reputable and I've had all good experiences. Besides, the bagger is essentially the shop manager.

When I get home, I pull the bag out and see the fish on its side acting erratic. A white "stress spot" has appeared just under the dorsal fin, and it's only swimming on one side or straight up and down (occasionally gulping air or spitting water at the surface while swirling itself through the tank). I notice a bulge on the side closest to the surface, so some quick research here says it's likely either swim bladder damage (didn't have that in store - was healthy and well observed) or that it possibly had head trauma getting caught. A few hours later (3 or 4) and the stress spots literally look like the blue is being poured out, and white lines are streaked down its body as it's now lying on the bottom of the tank content to die. (To clarify, this is not ick spots. Similar color loss to my foxface when startled, though far more extreme and obviously begging for death).

As a note, the Tomini I purchased - so far - is perfectly fine. Shy. But fine.

I understand most saltwater fish aren't returnable. I understand typically I'd have responsibility to take care of it, and that failure is usually on me with an in store purchase. In this case, what should I do? The fish was fine in store, but after a short drive home, it's suddenly in noticeably poor condition still in the bag. Quarantine essentially just confirmed it was rapidly chasing death. The store closed shortly after I got home, so I couldn't call tonight. Would you call in the morning and ask the owner for a refund? I'm assuming that's a waste of time given it'll be 15 hours later at the least, and he did knock off $20 or so since I had such a big purchase. Or do I just accept the loss and assume a $70 store donation and watch like a hawk next time?

Getting a bit frustrated with this hobby and appreciate your thoughts and maybe some encouragement too.
way too quick not to be honored by pet store. Call them immediately even if closed for the night so you have it on your call list as documented.
Piched in bag, or trauma of being netted which especially yellow tangs suffer. Was there enough water in the bag ?

OP
OP
Surf985

Surf985

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pinching is a possibility and I may have just missed that. It was a little light on water - I had to keep the bag vertical while temp acclimating for it to have enough room to consider swimming upright. The bag was upright in my car so i don't think it went for any relevant period in too shallow of water. I'm new to tangs, so net stress could be it?

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What iis the store policy on fish? Most fish stores have them.

I have had fish die of what I think was heart attack before when bagging them. It can happen from stress/trauma

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many LFSs that I’ve been to, tape off the corners of the bag to prevent the possibility of fish getting caught there.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick thing to consider - often fish get put in bags and swim straight to the bottom corner to "feel safe". Then, that bag gets put in the shopping bag and the fish can get caught in the corner and get pinched and begin to suffocate. This can cause irreversible stress/damage and the fish may never recover. Unfortunately I've lost two fish this way. Since then, I always put the bags on their side instead of standing up in the bag.
Double bag then flip the bags over so the corners of the bag containing the livestock are now on the top. Even horizontal they can still get in a corner. Some stores do this, if not I request it.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double bag then flip the bags over so the corners of the bag containing the livestock are now on the top. Even horizontal they can still get in a corner. Some stores do this, if not I request it.
I think the point is, once the fish leaves the store, it is up to you to look after it.

Many perils await a fish once bagged, and many are not the fault of the LFS.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the point is, once the fish leaves the store, it is up to you to look after it.

Many perils await a fish once bagged, and many are not the fault of the LFS.
I realize that. I just stated how they should be bagged to prevent them from being trapped in a corner. Maybe it will help someone in the future, or may everyone already knows this and it was just another useless post.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, yeah, you asked for encouragement too! I have been out of the hobby for a couple years. I am looking forward to starting back up, but I know when I hit my first speed bump it will be difficult. Fish loss, ich, tank equipment failures are part of the hobby. At least your floor is not wet!

Tiki_Reef

My daily driver is a nano.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS is pretty good about things like this especially for returning customers, I talk to the owner all the time his view on this is "I collect 100 dollar bills not fish and if I have to eat a fish or 2 to keep customers coming back I will" any time I have had any issues he takes care of it. This particular store is a great place because he will order whatever you want and they quarantine the fish without any extra cost to the customer.

OP
OP
Surf985

Surf985

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it will help someone in the future, or may everyone already knows this and it was just another useless post.
Not at all. Actually, I think this may be one of the best unique and insightful threads I've seen on the forum for ME and something I hope helps others too. For me, this brings to light something I think most of us overlook when getting a new fish: We know you're supposed to do research before buying. Check compatibility and requirements. Observe in store for several minutes. Only buy from reputable stores. Watch it eat in store. Treat it like it's diseased and quarantine it after a mindful acclimation to reduce shock... All good steps, but I'd never really thought about transport. The store catches it, bags it, and you go home and then acclimate. I never really thought about that part because I just assumed it was a given from goldfish to any fish. That said, it shouldn't be, especially with the more delicate species. I think this was a good reminder that there ARE practices to catching fish that make a difference (net vs hands vs box - some are less traumatic than others) and we should make sure they're handled properly. Bag size and technique matter, too. Shoot, I'd NEVER thought to plan on bringing a bucket of my own, but that's a really good point, especially when buying larger fish like tangs. That'd be FAR less traumatic, and if you're doing your due diligence to plan fish purchases, having a transport setup is easy. I definitely appreciate the insight here from each of you. One more step towards boosting success!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize that. I just stated how they should be bagged to prevent them from being trapped in a corner. Maybe it will help someone in the future, or may everyone already knows this and it was just another useless post.
Not useless a great reminder

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back