Loki's Nem tank

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just drilled my nem tank and installed an overflow and a sump. It is a 28 gallon bowfront from marineland and it now has a 10g sump. Since I now have an overflow I have something else to be concerned with for the nems. The teeth!! So I am wondering what is the best way to put this stuff (picture below) in front of the teeth to prevent my nems from getting chopped up? I have two sheets of it and intend to put the other in front of the drain.

a6934819-16f7-b1b9.jpg

a6934819-1705-9180.jpg

For lighting I have a brand new 4 bulb TEK T5 fixture.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Loki

Loki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now for question number two. This is my first time working with tubing as I have always used PVC on my other tanks. Do you guys have any advice foraging the drain quiet? It is one 3/4" hole for a drain and one 1/2" return. I am using a mag 3 for my return pump.

I plan to cut the tubing so that it is just above the water level (like I would do with PVC), but I am concerned that it will have a tendency to move around and may even come out of the sump. Any ideas on how to secure the hose?

a6934818-1812-6ca7.jpg

bige

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use one of the tubing magnetic kits. They hold tubing and are magnetic. Personally, I don't think your nems will wonder to your over flow. I know it happens but not that often.

OP
OP
Loki

Loki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had it happen last night :(. It was split in three places. It's still alive but it's not looking like a good outcome for the guy.

I will look into those magnets. Thanks!

Anyone else?

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temporarily you can stick a short length of airline tubing in the drain and it should stop. I have three in the drains of my frag tank. Lol

OP
OP
Loki

Loki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temporarily you can stick a short length of airline tubing in the drain and it should stop. I have three in the drains of my frag tank. Lol

I'll give this a shot. Thanks.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off it is gurgling because the water level is right at the top of the bulkhead causing mixing of water and air... Also you will get the air gurgle amplified when it hits the sump.

I see you have an elbow on the back of the tank going directly to the tubing. You need a place for air to escape, so create an "external durso" style device. Switch the elbow for a PVC T. Put a short piece of PVC on the top part of the T and cap it. Drill a hole in the cap and add a length of air line tubing down the hole. Attach the hose barb to the bottom of the T and run the hose to the sump.

My old 75 Gallon ran this way silent for years. I did add another tube through the bulkhead and down which made it even quieter. (Backup in case the other air line plugged up)

Now for in the sump you are getting the gurgling, splashing, and tube moving. I have a solution for that. See the picture below. Build it out of PVC slightly larger than the hose. Height is dependent on the sump. On the top part of the device place a cap and drill with air line, just like you did on the overflow described above. You can hang the air line over and zip tie it to the device if you'd like.

GurgleRemover.jpg

This gives you a more rigid drain to work with in the sump and helps prevent air bubbles too. It worked for me so I figured I'd share.

OP
OP
Loki

Loki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing! I went to lowes and they don't have a threaded 3/4" T so I will mess with it later.

On a side note. Now for some reason it will not drain fast enough for it to even gurgle. I would rather it gurgle than not be able to run the water through the sump.

This is turning into the worst upgrade ever :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back