Lone Clown with frayed fin?

SaltyMermaid86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help with this? I'm not sure what would cause this. Hes the lone clown after my cat figured out how to remove my lid and I believe either got the other clown or he jumped and then she got him. Either say i cant find him. That was 2 weeks ago. I also have a blenny that barely comes out of his hole. The clown stays in his little cave and hardly ever emerges. He's also not eating. But he stopped after the other clown went missing. Up until then he ate like a champ. The other clown was being treated for intestinal parasites and obviously this lone clown was eating the medicated food as well. I'm not sure what is going on. There has been nothing to injure him. Its also the only fin that looks like this.

20220517_154837.jpg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post params.
More pics could help.
Some diseases can cause fins to have a frayed look.
Most likely the blenny gave him some bites though, they can be territorial.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A picture under white light would be helpful - I see nothing under your circle

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That the clown isn’t eating is really serious, and fin damage like that won’t cause a fish not to eat, so something else is going on here I think.
As mentioned, can you post water parameters? A short video of the fish under white light also really helps.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pics are of importance and under white lighting which will help Jay with accurate assessment.
Is this a new tank and a first fish?

OP
OP
SaltyMermaid86

SaltyMermaid86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep trying to post a video but it says file type invalid. I tested ammonia, nitrite and nitrate yesterday. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 8

OP
OP
SaltyMermaid86

SaltyMermaid86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to just get a video under white light but it won't post. So that's under Whites and of the fin. Not a new fish. Hes been in the tank for 3 weeks. Tank has been running since end of February.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I was trying to just get a video under white light but it won't post. So that's under Whites and of the fin. Not a new fish. Hes been in the tank for 3 weeks. Tank has been running since end of February.
Unfortunately, there is No fin in the picture which is under very good lighting and clarity.
I may see signs of brooklynella or secondary bacterial but keep working with Jay as i tend to stand back when one is working with another so as to not confuse you

OP
OP
SaltyMermaid86

SaltyMermaid86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, there is No fin in the picture which is under very good lighting and clarity.
I may see signs of brooklynella or secondary bacterial but keep working with Jay as i tend to stand back when one is working with another so as to not confuse you
Screenshot_20220517-165816_Video Editor.jpg

Can you see now? I'm so confused. In my photos from my view it shows perfect images of the fish and fin and its super clear. I'm sorry. I'm really trying to get good pictures. The videos still won't load. You see Brook? With him being white I can't see anything on him. His fins are spotless and black.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three weeks in a tank is still a very new fish in terms of possible disease issues.

The video would help show me the fish's respiration rate, and that can be a symptom of other problems. You can make that count yourself easily enough though: count the number of gill beats in 15 seconds, Do that four times and add them together. The breathing rate for this fish should be less than 100.

At this point, without a secondary symptom to refine things, I would have to say this is a bacterial fin disease (rarely seen without some sort of damage starting it off, but it can happen).

The treatment would be a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic in a treatment tank.

Jay

OP
OP
SaltyMermaid86

SaltyMermaid86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three weeks in a tank is still a very new fish in terms of possible disease issues.

The video would help show me the fish's respiration rate, and that can be a symptom of other problems. You can make that count yourself easily enough though: count the number of gill beats in 15 seconds, Do that four times and add them together. The breathing rate for this fish should be less than 100.

At this point, without a secondary symptom to refine things, I would have to say this is a bacterial fin disease (rarely seen without some sort of damage starting it off, but it can happen).

The treatment would be a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic in a treatment tank.

Jay
Ah ok. I will set my quarentine tank back up and get started. Thank you so much for your help.

OP
OP
SaltyMermaid86

SaltyMermaid86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Jay,

Could you recommend a good antibiotic to treat with? J was going to go with neoplex but now I'm not sure. I just want to get this right the first time.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay,

Could you recommend a good antibiotic to treat with? J was going to go with neoplex but now I'm not sure. I just want to get this right the first time.
Choosing an antibiotic for fish is always a guess. Most external bacteria on fish are gram negative. Neoplex is a good choice, but it is just a guess. Some people mix antibiotics to try and cover more bacteria, but you need to ensure they don’t duplicate coverage (like two different tetracyclines). Some people go with Maracyn 1 and Maracyn 2 at the same time.
Jay

OP
OP
SaltyMermaid86

SaltyMermaid86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Choosing an antibiotic for fish is always a guess. Most external bacteria on fish are gram negative. Neoplex is a good choice, but it is just a guess. Some people mix antibiotics to try and cover more bacteria, but you need to ensure they don’t duplicate coverage (like two different tetracyclines). Some people go with Maracyn 1 and Maracyn 2 at the same time.
Jay
Ok I currently have kanaplex and Metroplex along with focus. I dont think Kana is an antibiotic though. It does say it treats fungal and bacterial infections. Would this do or do I need to go ahead order an actual antibiotic?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I currently have kanaplex and Metroplex along with focus. I dont think Kana is an antibiotic though. It does say it treats fungal and bacterial infections. Would this do or do I need to go ahead order an actual antibiotic?
Kanaplex contains kanamycin, a gram negative antibiotic, so you can use that.

Metroplex and Focus won't help with this issue, and actually is REALLY difficult to dose properly.

Jay

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back