Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drilling part 2 - The Return

Here we go again...
IMG_3960.jpg

Plumbing puttyed up.
20180321-IMG_7744-20.jpg

This part is always a huge sigh of relief.
20180321-IMG_7755-21.jpg

Jagged around parts of the edge but overall, good enough I'd say.
20180321-IMG_7791-22.jpg

20180321-IMG_7803-24.jpg

All drilling now complete.... Glad that's over.

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installing the Return plumbing in and on the display tank.

IMG_3983.JPG

IMG_3986.JPG

IMG_4007.jpg

IMG_4010.JPG

I'm not sure if it's high enough to prevent a good amount of back flow to the sump.

I can raise it by adding additional locline pieces, but unfortunately that will make the nozzle even more obtrusive than it already is.

Last edited:

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well done.
It is getting better every day.
Drilling is kind of nerve wracking. But with this result you seem like a pro.

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an idea... a possible solution to maneuvering around the stands center brace.

If I were to move the display tank about 7" to the left side of the stand, the overflow drains would make a clear shot down to the sump.

Yes? No? Recipe for disaster?? I have no idea how an off-center tank might eventually cause a stand to crumble due to the uneven pressure, but it seems possible or at least worth figuring out.

If it makes a difference, the stand is for 75-09 gallon tanks. My tank is 30 gallons.

IMG_4033.JPG

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it makes a difference, the stand is for 75-09 gallon tanks. My tank is 30 gallons.
IMG_4033.JPG
I do not see a problem at all in this.
30 gallon tank will weigh about 440lb (including water, sand, rock, tank, equipment) at the most.
That stand can take that, even if the tank is not in the complete center.

It will be more a visual issue, but asymmetrics has his virtues too. It would leave place to put an extra Two Hearted Ale when we come to visit. Lol

One question, does this stand has doors?

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not see a problem at all in this.
30 gallon tank will weigh about 440lb (including water, sand, rock, tank, equipment) at the most.
That stand can take that, even if the tank is not in the complete center.

It will be more a visual issue, but asymmetrics has his virtues too. It would leave place to put an extra Two Hearted Ale when we come to visit. Lol

One question, does this stand has doors?
Good question. Yes, I took the doors off temporarily so they don't get in the way while I'm working on the sump.

and wait a sec... how'd you know it is two hearted? it's in a cozey. either that was an insanely lucky guess or a bottle snuck in the background of a photo which is very likely cause there's usually one near by.... lol

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calling all sump pro's.... In need of serious help figuring out drain placement in the sump/filter socks/etc.

Here's the sump.
1ruby.JPG

As you can see I have one drain hole the leads to one of the filter socks. There was another hole for a second drain/bulkhead above the other filter sock but the previous owner of the sump hacked that part off - they said it made sock changing easier and the drain quieter.

I have a red piece of acrylic I'm thinking about gluing onto the sump and drilling a couple holes for the other two drains.
Sort of like these (minus this sock holder part):
!drain-bulkheads.png !drain-bulkheads-5_02239fd9-604d-4276-b753-27c512135aac_1024x1024.jpg

Or am I better off leaving the sump as is - not adding the piece of acrylic and leaving the drains unsupported? Would that really make sock changing easier/the drain quieter?

I've never used filter socks before and don't quite understand how they work in relation to drain pipe placement. I've seen sumps with drain pipes terminating inside the filter sock, and some with separate filter sock and drain compartments. I assume it's easier to change the socks without having a pipe in the way or one that needs to be removed every time the sock is changed. If changing the socks requires too much effort, I'm more likely to go longer between changes...

Next, I have to figure out where the second and third drains should go on the sump.

One drain will go through the hole to the sock on the left side. I'm guessing that will be either the main or secondary drain.
For the other two drains, options are:

-Both empty into the filter sock?
2ruby.JPG

-One into filter sock, and one right beside the sock?
3ruby.JPG

-One into filter sock, and one to the fuge?
4ruby.JPG

-Both into the refugium (second chamber)?
(I didn't take a pic of this plan, so an example from google...)
!ruby-drains-sump.png

A couple other things to take into account...
Internal overflow box bean animal plumbing isn't setup yet. So the main full siphon, secondary trickle, and emergency drains can be put in any order. Wanted to figure out sump possibilities before deciding for sure on the internal box plumbing.
The main and secondary drain will terminate 1" below the water line, the emergency about 1" above the water line.

Can anyone tell me what to do here?
Additional, I like the idea to close the acrylic lid above the filter socks. Overflow pipes tend to create a lot of airbubbles in the sump which will cause a lot of salt creep.
If possible, I would even close the complete top of the filter sock section to avoid this salt water everywhere.
There will be 1 main (with gate valve) full siphon drain which needs to go to the filter sock. The additional drain and emergency can go any where in the same section of the sump where the filtersocks are. The additional drain preferably also in a filter sock.
The emergency will not be in use in normal operation.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and wait a sec... how'd you know it is two hearted? it's in a cozey. either that was an insanely lucky guess or a bottle snuck in the background of a photo which is very likely cause there's usually one near by.... lol
That bottle is in one of the earlier pictures... and not in the background at all.
The trout on the label caused me to check the bottle name and history. Lovely story.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look how many brittle stars I found/salvaged from my AquaSD order!
IMG_2734.jpg

Put them all in my tank never to see them again. I spend a lot (seriously A LOT) of time watching my tank. Are they hiding or dead?
Hiding.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Your build is looking good, the sump looks brand new and your skill with the drill in impressive. I see your thinking of offsetting the tank, That would be nice and leave room for a larger vase or something, the only concern would be the top sagging over time, is there a cross brace under the center of the top? you may want to consider doing doing that now regardless of tank placement. Is the top MDF or plywood? Im no expert on stands
But @jsker is a Cabinet Maker. The stand is designed to take all the weight on the Perimeter so you may need a little support in the center, what does the #reefsquad think.
Now about the Two Hearted Ale, It may be a Michigan thing but its my Favorite! Following along.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Your build is looking good, the sump looks brand new and your skill with the drill in impressive. I see your thinking of offsetting the tank, That would be nice and leave room for a larger vase or something, the only concern would be the top sagging over time, is there a cross brace under the center of the top? you may want to consider doing doing that now regardless of tank placement. Is the top MDF or plywood? Im no expert on stands
But @jsker is a Cabinet Maker. The stand is designed to take all the weight on the Perimeter so you may need a little support in the center, what does the #reefsquad think.
Now about the Two Hearted Ale, It may be a Michigan thing but its my Favorite! Following along.
I think you hit all of my question that I had when I first saw the thread.
If there is a nice solid support down the middle and the side are plywood not MDF would are good to go.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@samnaz would it be possible to get a picture looking up into the stand (seeing the verticals and the bottom side of the top? That along with the other pictures will help us get a view on stability with the offset tank. Also agree with @siggy on knowing if the top is MDF, plywood, or hardwood.

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand is made entirely of MDF.

I'm thinking of cutting a 3/4" piece of ply to size and laying on top of the current top, for added support.

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@samnaz would it be possible to get a picture looking up into the stand (seeing the verticals and the bottom side of the top? That along with the other pictures will help us get a view on stability with the offset tank. Also agree with @siggy on knowing if the top is MDF, plywood, or hardwood.

Here it is from the inside.... hope this helps

3D0153B5-1272-4F8F-BBF7-438E99466499.jpg

696A92A1-4B6E-4220-85CD-6108728887F0.jpg

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand is made entirely of MDF.

I'm thinking of cutting a 3/4" piece of ply to size and laying on top of the current top, for added support.
That would be my solution too, maybe 1/2" Baltic Birch ply will be good. Its a quality ply that normally doesn't sag. A woodworking store like Woodcraft sells it. Let's hear from the pro's on this one.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought is maybe screw and glue some thin ply UNDER the top. You Put a lot of work in your stand and setup, at least you will keep the aesthetics . Lets bug @jsker too see what he thinks and how to.

Rick Krejci

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installing the Return plumbing in and on the display tank.

IMG_3983.JPG

IMG_3986.JPG

IMG_4007.jpg

IMG_4010.JPG

I'm not sure if it's high enough to prevent a good amount of back flow to the sump.

I can raise it by adding additional locline pieces, but unfortunately that will make the nozzle even more obtrusive than it already is.

Now I'm not an expert, but I've seen the comment many times that the rubber gasket goes on the non-threaded side for bulkheads. Not 100% sure looking at the photos, but it looks like it's on the nut side on yours. Apologize if I'm wrong. Just want to bring it up just in case...nothing worse than the slow drip, drip, drip.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/installing-bulkhead-tips.34973/

And good on you with the Two Hearted...my main go to as well!

Last edited:

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I'm not an expert, but I've seen the comment many times that the rubber gasket goes on the non-threaded side for bulkheads. Not 100% looking at the photos, but it looks like it's on the nut side on yours. Apologize if I'm wrong. Just want to bring it up just in case...nothing worse than the slow drip, drip, drip.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/installing-bulkhead-tips.34973/

And good on you with the Two Hearted...my main go to as well!
Nice catch.

Yes this is 100% correct otherwise the water will follow the threads and you'll have a leak.

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through all this, tank is looking great. We are about in the same spot with our builds so it will be fun following along. Kuddos on drilling a tank for you very first time using a drill. I do a lot of DIY and stuff like that around the house and I'm still nervous about drilling a tank one day.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back