Table of Contents::

#33 Drilling tank
#51 Overflow placement
# 76 Flextube attempt/draft
# 81 Drilling return
# 94 Inside view of MDF stand
# 104 Plumbing attempt #276 with rigid PVC and 45's
# 114 Plans to modify mdf stand
# 118 Ply top - Stand modification part 1 for support DONE.
# 125 Plumb attempt before glue/paint
# 143-48 Plumbing fails
# 162 Plumbing DONE (overflow lines)
# 169 LED tape lights and shelving installed, inside stand.
# 173 Plumbing Done (return line)
# 213 Nanobox Quad on, RFG Nozzle modifications, overflow box plumbing,
# 213 Controller / equipment cabinet started.
# 235 City Water Quality Reports
# 241 Reason #436 I regret this MDF stand - ATO container doesn't fit.
# 248 New ATO container
# 263 Vinnie
# 305

Original/Ancient first post:

Hello fellow aquarists. Welcome to my first build thread for my second reef tank. After spending 10 months reading, planning, being indecisive, and overthinking everything, I’m ready to bring my vision and plans to life.

I want to do everything right this time around. No cutting corners, no taking the easiest cheapest route, as I did with my first tank (20L with HOB filter/skimmer). Everyone always says to the newb “Research and go slow, then research more and go slower.” and I maybe took that advice too seriously.

Background / Planning Stage:

I purchased the Innovative Marine Nuvo Black 30L way back in 2017. My original plan was to simply transfer everything from the current setup and call it a day… But since the new tank/new stand will go in the same exact spot as the old one, that certainly complicated things and made transferring a huge daunting task. I put it off for weeks.

Then I splurged on a NanoBox Quad (happy birthday to me!) and it was all downhill from there...
_MYQUAD_Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 6.24.16 PM.png

Here it is empty and waiting in the living room.
IMG_E9493.JPG

(Aquatic Fundamentals stand from Petcosmart. Which I deeply regret doing, for many reasons… But more on that later).

At that point I thought, I’ve got a perfectly beautiful tank and a seriously awesome light fixture… everything else must be equally as nice. A bunch of HOB equipment won’t cut it. Back to the drawing board I went. After dragging my feet for weeks and letting my indecisiveness get the best of me, I decided to go for it:
Drill, plumb, and sump it.

Up until a few months ago I knew nothing about sumps, plumbing or drilling, or any sort of handy man type work. I’m just here for the corals and invertebrates. Geez, what have I gotten myself into? I certainly can’t document the previous 10 months of progress in this one post. But I’ve got photos to show, and tons of questions to ask. So follow along on this thread as I document the transfer and build the new tank!

The Equipments:

Display: Nuvo Black 30L - (36” x 15” x 12”)
Lighting: NanoBox Quad
Sump: Trigger Systems Ruby Sump 30 (25 gallons)
Overflow: Modular Marine Low Profile 1,200GPH
(with removable weir, custom 1" bulkheads, Bean Animal plumbing).
Return: Reef Octo Varios2 DC pump,
1" return line to 3/4” RFG nozzle in display
Biological Filtration: Established Live Rock (from my current 20L), and reefcleaners/marco dry rocks.
Substrate:___? Undecided. Tropic Eden Reef Flakes.... or Natures Ocean Black Sand.
Skimmer: Bubble Magnus Curve 5
Flows: MP-10 (x2). Jebao SW2.
Heaters: Cobalt Neo-Therm 100watt. Eheim Jager 125watt.
Heat Controller: InkBird
ATO: Tunze Osmolator 3155, ATO Reservoir Trigger Systems Crystal (5 gallon)
RO/DI: Spectrapure MaxCap 90gph 2:1 Manual Flush

A few key points / goals I hope to accomplish:

Inspiration / Biotope Theme Ideas:
- Lembeh Strait, Sulewsi, and Raja Ampat - two of the most biologically diverse marine ecosystems in the world. Equally fascinating and jaw-dropping beautiful.
- The Coral Triangle - the heart of the world's coral reef biodiversity.
- Indo-Pacific / general Indonesian theme, so as not to limit livestock choices too much.

General Livestocking Plans:
Coral - Mostly LPS and SPS. Lots of Euphyllia. (Strictly aquacultured corals only).
Invertebrates - Lots of em.
Fish - Wartskin or Painted Angler / Frogfish, a Lionfish, a Mandarin (Biota/ORA)or a Starry Blenny.

(Original post edited to add progress photos and updates below)

PHOTOS

February
IMG_3279.JPG

March
IMG_4033.JPG

April...
(Stand modification part one for support, a ply top.)

3519D3FC-5570-4F16-B8E3-0B7A6D3DDC53.jpeg
5C166AB4-83DA-4F1A-8D89-2A79CFE69F00.jpeg
59E772EB-A74D-4AB3-9013-1BB0FECD3648.jpeg
C14A71A3-CFAE-447E-9CDE-4156EFD17C85.jpeg
87EE6C66-BDCA-4525-B709-B830A3E1845E.jpeg

Plumbing and more

D957E65D-90A1-4A13-BFB7-08EB37081437.jpeg
7B0C81F3-79A8-4F93-A8B6-8893242BB9BD.jpeg
18B46F92-A542-41C8-80AF-7EC385F32C9E.jpeg
1F89F087-D2FF-4E10-97A6-320757096DB0.jpeg

A2A1BA5E-89E5-4FFC-8137-9D38E8FC8B21.jpeg
ADD303C5-63FD-4927-800E-2004BB152860.jpeg
BF85B591-A0DB-4BE7-8BC6-3E51C8F8CA75.jpeg

Let there be light...

DD4C6642-74C0-4E73-A504-CD2CFB8DB444.jpeg
3D3078C6-772A-4875-826B-AF06CBDF1733.jpeg

TO BE CONTINUED .....

Last edited:
OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's late November aka time to BUY STUFF!

Now's the time to decide what I'll be doing for filtration purposes (mainly carbon) for the new tank. I'm currently using bags of ChemiPure Elite in an Aquaclear hob filter. The new tank will have a Trigger sump with two platforms, one for foam and one for other types of filtration such as carbon, rubble rock, etc.

Should I continue using bags of Chemipure Elite? Obviously this is the easiest method but I'm unsure if it will be sufficient enough. Everyone seems to use a reactor for carbon. Is that necessary for a such a small setup?

I'm considering setting up the BRS Mini Reactor. Thoughts? Opinions?

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build you got there.
As for your carbon question a reactor is definitely better but if a bag works find than that's fine. one way to check is to compare one glass of tank water to RODI water and getting a visual of how much color difference there is then running carbon in a bag for couple days and comparign again to see if carbon is making a difference. if it is then you're fine.

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build you got there.
As for your carbon question a reactor is definitely better but if a bag works find than that's fine. one way to check is to compare one glass of tank water to RODI water and getting a visual of how much color difference there is then running carbon in a bag for couple days and comparign again to see if carbon is making a difference. if it is then you're fine.

If I could perform that test now I would, unfortunately the tank isn’t setup yet. It won’t be for a few weeks.

I’m a sucker for a good sale... 30% off is hard to resist.

What about a bag of BRS Rox carbon versus Chemipure? I wonder which would be the better option.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say just go for the reactor :)
I haven't tried those so can't help here so better wait for some input or maybe try one a t a time and decide which one you prefer...

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question about how to connect RO/DI unit to faucet…

I have an extra sink in my bathroom that I never use, and I’m considering dedicating it to RO/DI use only so it won’t matter if the connection is permanent.

Problem is, my faucet does not have threads. All of the sink adapters I’ve seen have threads, so how on earth can I connect anything to it?

Photo of sink faucet:
IMG_1470.JPG

Garden hose adapter that came with the RO/DI unit:
IMG_1468.jpg

This Faucet Diverter Adapter Kit from BRS “fits virtually all kitchen faucets” but doesn’t specify how exactly. The description says it has 27 male threads so I’m assuming it must be connected using the threads?
200800-Reverse-Osmosis-RO-Faucet-Diverter-Adapter-Kit-Chrome-a_1.jpg

Another one from BRS, Chrome Faucet Diverter Valve "fit most standard faucets and can be adapted using an adapter ring (not included) if an oddball faucet is encountered". What adapter ring would I need?
sink_water_tap_valve-b.jpg

Last edited:

Phantom6966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the glass on the 30l have any kind of noticeable green tint to it? I just ordered one of these tanks because I really like the dimensions, but didn't realize until after I ordered that it isn't low iron.

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the glass on the 30l have any kind of noticeable green tint to it? I just ordered one of these tanks because I really like the dimensions, but didn't realize until after I ordered that it isn't low iron.
Not as far as I can tell. Looks clear as clear can be, to me, but I have never seen a low iron tank in person therefore have nothing to compare it to.

Phantom6966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not as far as I can tell. Looks clear as clear can be, to me, but I have never seen a low iron tank in person therefore have nothing to compare it to.
I'm hoping I won't be able to tell a difference either, or it will always bother me just knowing there's a difference. I've gotten mixed answers on it.

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would plumb under the sink with an under sink adapter and skip messing with the faucet altogether... you will want the 1/4" one for your spectrapure

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/john-guest-angle-stop-valve.html
200041-reverse-osmosis-ro-john-guest-angle-stop-valve--qc-grouped-a.jpg

Already got one of those on the way ;)

I'm hoping I won't be able to tell a difference either, or it will always bother me just knowing there's a difference. I've gotten mixed answers on it.
I mean, I'm assuming there is a difference. As long as you don't have it set up right next to a low iron tank, it shouldn't be noticeable or bothersome, hopefully. I think it's just beautiful. Then again, I only have a cheapo 20L to compare to....

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already got one of those on the way ;)

Smart girl, following along as I've seriously considered the nuvo black 30 with a sump for another build. It has a simple clean look to it Which is awesome. I wish I could get the SR Series in Canada though

Last edited:

Fence13

Over Thinker Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it's a smaller tank size have you thought about going with wet rock, or an already quarantined live rock type? Could cut down on any cycle/ issues you might run into.

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it's a smaller tank size have you thought about going with wet rock, or an already quarantined live rock type? Could cut down on any cycle/ issues you might run into.
Yep, I will be using some established live rock from my current tank to help seed the dry rock and cut down any cycle or possible issues. Not sure exactly how much live rock I will add initially or how long I'll leave it in before removing it... I have to look into that some more. Thanks for the tip!

So I got my tank in yesterday, and managed to get the glass drilled. If there is a difference in the glass between it and the nuvo fusion line I would say it's negligible.
20171213_205303.jpg
NICE! Your name doesn't sound familiar... which is strange cause I thought for sure I knew everyone on the forums doing the same/similar build I'm doing. Where's your build thread? On here or elsewhere perhaps? I would love to follow along if you've got one.

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow aquarists! Welcome to my first build thread for my second reef tank, which I’ve been working on for a while. I figured I better make a thread to help motivate me to get this project done.

After spending 10 months reading, planning, being indecisive, and overthinking everything, I’m ready to bring my vision and plans to life.

I want to do everything right this time around. No cutting corners, no taking the easiest and cheapest route, as I did with my first tank (20L with hob filter/skimmer, thread here: https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/381325-samnazs-20l-upgrading-to-im-nuvo-black-30l/). Everyone always says to the newb “Research and go slow, then research more and go slower.” and I maybe took that advice too seriously.

Background / Planning Stage:

I purchased the Innovative Marine Nuvo Black 30L way back in January 2017.

My original plan was to simply transfer everything from the current setup and call it a day… But since the new tank/new stand will go in the same exact spot as the old one, that certainly complicates things and made transferring a huge daunting task. I put it off for weeks.

Back in January, I also purchased an Aquatic Fundamentals stand from Petcosmart. Which I deeply regret doing, for many reasons (28”tall= too SHORT, tiny doors, impossible to see inside, it’s ugly)… But more on that later.

A few more months later… I got a NanoBox Quad (happy birthday to me!) and it was all downhill from there...

_MYQUAD_Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 6.24.16 PM.png

Here it is empty and waiting in the living room.

IMG_E9493.JPG

At that point I thought, I’ve got a perfectly beautiful tank and a seriously awesome light fixture… EVERYTHING else must be equally as nice! A bunch of HOB equipment won’t cut it (also seems a bit risky to have ~40 pounds of equipment hanging on the back panel). Back to the drawing board I went.

After dragging my feet for weeks and letting my indecisiveness get the best of me, I decided to go for it: Drill, plumb, and sump it.

Up until a few months ago I knew nothing about sumps, plumbing or drilling, or any sort of handy man type work. I’m just here for the corals and invertebrates. Geez, what have I gotten myself into…?! It sure hasn’t come easy and it’s taken me a while but I’m enjoying every minute.

I certainly can’t document the entire previous 10 months of progress in this one post. But I have a lot more to say, more photos to show, and tons of questions to ask.
So follow along on this thread as I document the transfer and build the new tank!

A few key points / goals I hope to accomplish:

Theme Ideas / Inspiration:
- Lembeh Strait, Sulewsi, and Raja Ampat - two of the most biologically diverse marine ecosystems in the world. Equally fascinating and jaw-dropping beautiful.
- The Coral Triangle - the heart of the world's coral reef biodiversity.
- Indo-Pacific / general Indonesian theme, so as not to limit livestock choices too much.
- Other inspirations include literally hundreds of reefs I’ve come across on the forums. Too many to list. If you have one, I’ve probably seen your thread so thanks. (Yes I have spent more hours browsing reefs than I am willing to admit)

General Livestocking Plans:
Coral - Mostly LPS and SPS. Lots of Euphyllia. (Strictly aquacultured corals only).
Invertebrates - Lots of em.
Fish - None. Very unlikely I will add any fish. IF I did it would have to be a Wartskin or Painted Angler/Frogfish, a Lionfish or a Starry Blenny.

+ All the livestock that will be transferred from my current tank (too many to list).

Equipment List: (as of 11/5/17)

Display: IM Nuvo Black 30 Long - ( 36” x 15” x 12” )
Lighting: NanoBox Quad
Rock: Dry Reefcleaners and BRS, and Live Rock (a piece or two from my current 20L)
Substrate: _______? Undecided. (I have a bag of Caribsea Special Grade Reef, but I might try Tropic Eden Reef Flakes instead)
Overflow: Modular Marine 1,200gph with 1" bulkhead drains x3
Return: 3/4” Glass-Holes Kit
Return Pump: ________ ? Not sure yet.
Sump:
Trigger Systems Ruby Sump 30 (25 gallons)
Skimmer: Bubble Magnus Curve 5
Wavemaker: Jebao PP-4 x2
Heater: Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm 100w
ATO: Tunze Osmolator 3155, Trigger Systems Crystal Reservoir (5 gallon)
RO/DI: Spectrapure MaxCap 90gph 2:1 Manual Flush

Established on: TBD

Nice build!! I just bought my son the IM Nuvo 20 gallon. Cycling now. He loves my 90 gallon and really wanted to start one for himself.

I will follow along for ideas and inspiration!

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to my first frag swap at the end of this month. It's one of the largest swaps in the country and needless to say, I won't be leaving empty handed. My current tank is already covered with frag racks, I simply don't have the space for more... and I plan on going frag crazy at this swap. Only comes once a year and I'm not putting this build off for another year. Soo....

My (insane) goal is to have the new tank setup by the end of the month.

Lots to do...
  • Decide on tank location.
  • Drill tank for overflow and return.
  • Finish painting PVC pipe and fittings.
  • Buff scratches from sump.
  • Finish painting/waterproofing stand with glossy top coat.
  • Assemble stand.
  • Set up equipment - sump, skimmer, reactor, ATO, etc.
  • Put up motion activated lights in stand.
  • Conceal all wires.
  • ...and much more I won't bore you all with.

I only have THREE WEEKS. Time to get moving.

Back