OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Questions regarding return plumbing for ya'lls...

Original plan was one return - using 1" PVC, 1" bulkhead and converting to 3/4" loc-line within the tank, somethin like this:

IMG_3296.JPG

IMG_3295.JPG

(will be drilling the tank for this... if that's not obvious)

I'm thinking twice about this now that those neat random flow nozzles are hot on the market. They've even got one for 1" pvc, so that's handy. Not to mention way less obtrusive. I'm considering this one...
Vivid Creative Aquatics Random Flow Generator for 1" PVC
rfg100_0179---copy.jpg

Sold out on BRS so they must be all the rage? not many reviews though.

Thoughts? Experiences?

FTS....(lol)
IMG_3294.JPG

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still looking for others reviews/experiences with the Vivid Aquatics RFG if anyones got em.

Last edited:
OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look how many brittle stars I found/salvaged from my AquaSD order!
IMG_2734.jpg

Put them all in my tank never to see them again. I spend a lot (seriously A LOT) of time watching my tank. Are they hiding or dead?

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

anomeda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tha's fun to hear that you liked it! I hope you will like the new setup as well.

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great build, i am in the process of a build also and am following along. keep up the good work and i like the attention to the plumbing ! i am going to make my plumbing part of the fish room display so planning to do alot of what you are doing...

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great build, i am in the process of a build also and am following along. keep up the good work and i like the attention to the plumbing ! i am going to make my plumbing part of the fish room display so planning to do alot of what you are doing...
thanks for looking! I will follow along yours as well :)

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I totally screw up with the overflow placement? I'm worried the water level will be much lower than I would have liked.

The very top of the weir teeth are at least 1/2" below the tank rim. Which means the water level will be even lower - about 3/4" to 1" below the rim. If the tank wasn't only 12" shallow, I wouldn't fret over an inch, but it is, sooo...

IMG_3469.JPG

Anything I can do at this point? I'm assuming no.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on how much flow you will have through the return pump, you assume the water level to be around middle of the weir teeth.
Take in account some changing level due to wavemakers, i would say you are good to go.

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on how much flow you will have through the return pump, you assume the water level to be around middle of the weir teeth.
Take in account some changing level due to wavemakers, i would say you are good to go.

well darn, that's sort of a bummer. Assuming the water level is around the middle of the teeth, that puts it over 1" from the tank rim, much lower than I would have liked. Nothing I can do about that now so oh well. Thanks for the input, appreciate it.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Practically it is not a good idea to have the waterlevel less than 1" from the tank rim.
And you can still adjust this by playing with the return pump flow and/or gate valve in the overflow pipe to the sump.

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. It is the 1200 gph box, and I asked the guy to upgrade to 1 inch uniseals. Just to be on the safe side, and in case I ever go bigger and need to move more water. I do have it plumbed bean animal, except I don't have the elbows on the ends of the pipes. It's essentially just 3 bare ended pipes. I did order a flat grate for the main drain, and the elbows for the others but I found that they don't fit. And I got the wrong size grate. As of yet, I don't see any real reason why I would need those other parts though as it runs completely quiet as is unless I'm missing something. I'm using a trigger emerald 26 sump and a Vectra s1 return pump.
Couple more questions for you. Are the return outlet nozzles random flow generators? And do you know the height of your overflow standpipes by any chance? I noticed your tanks water level looks dangerously high in the photo you posted, but maybe it's just the angle of the photo.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vivid Creative Aquatics Random Flow Generator for 1" PVC. Sold out on BRS so they must be all the rage? not many reviews though. Thoughts? Experiences?

I bought one and stopped using it. I ran it for a few months and while it works, I thought the size was too obnoxious on my small 34 gallon Reefer 170. Here are some pics of when it was on the tank, #1 & #2, and the look when it's off.

I am probably the only person that doesn't like it. There are lots of fans of the nozzle on the large 'Show off Your Reefer Thread'. It might work better on your tank because it's offset on the side and the background is all black. Potentially the one BRS is selling is a straight connector rather than their original 90 degree bend to get it lower in the water line.

EDIT: The one I have is "3/4in RFG Nozzle With Red Sea Reefer Adapter - Single", I'll mail it to you if you want it. It's been sitting in the extras box for months.

spartanman22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice build! One suggestion, and I may be coming in a bit late for this, but I attempted painting my PVC piping in the past because I'm OCD and everything had to match. I used Krylon Fusion and the pieces of PVC that were submerged (return pump piping mainly) over time flaked paint off. I never noticed any negative impact on livestock, but on occasion there would be little paint flecks flowing around. Just something to consider. On all builds since then I have ordered colored PVC piping from BRS or Home Depot. Just my $0.02, otherwise looks like you're going to have one sweet tank there! I've been long debating ditching my long and shallow office AIO and going with a long and shallow drilled tank with a sump.

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one and stopped using it. I ran it for a few months and while it works, I thought the size was too obnoxious on my small 34 gallon Reefer 170. Here are some pics of when it was on the tank, #1 & #2, and the look when it's off.

I am probably the only person that doesn't like it. There are lots of fans of the nozzle on the large 'Show off Your Reefer Thread'. It might work better on your tank because it's offset on the side and the background is all black. Potentially the one BRS is selling is a straight connector rather than their original 90 degree bend to get it lower in the water line.

EDIT: The one I have is "3/4in RFG Nozzle With Red Sea Reefer Adapter - Single", I'll mail it to you if you want it. It's been sitting in the extras box for months.
Well shoot, I just got one today. How’s that for timing? I appreciate the generous offer though. I got the 3/4” and it’s definitely larger than I hoped it would be. My tank is only 12”H x 14”W, and the nozzle is about 5” That’s taking up some serious real estate, less room for coral and I’m not down with that. Tanks small enough as is.

Maybe I can build a scape around it somehow to make it less noticable and obtrusive. We shall see...

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is only 12”H x 14”W, and the nozzle is about 5”.

Alternative Reef makes those ceramic magnet rocks to hide MP10s, you could do something similar. Once mine got covered in coralline it got more distracting to my eye, but I could have soaked it in vinegar.

I'm considering ordering a longer version of your tank, so I'm really interested in following your build!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back