OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reason #436 I regret choosing a MDF stand from PetCoSmart, instead of building one myself...

Turns out I can't fit the ATO reservoir into the stand without moving the sump over. This isn't an issue now, since the sump is empty, but once the tank is running and the sump is full, the ATO would be a huge massive pain in the bum to remove (for cleaning, or for whatever else I may want to remove it).

Options are:

1-Inside the stand (and never be able to remove it).

2-Next to the stand (and find a cabinet/chest to hide it in, OR paint the ATO container black to match the stand).

3-Behind the stand (this would require having the tank a couple more inches away from the wall, which isn't a big deal because it's already 4-5" from the wall bc of overflow/plumbing, but having it behind the stand would make it hard for me to access plumbing and everything back there).

4-Get a new ATO reservoir that fits under the stand without having to move the sump.

5-Other...?

I have no experience with ATOs so for those of you who do, what is most ideal?

Help me decide please ;-)

IMG_2612.jpg

IMG_2606.jpg

IMG_2441.jpg

IMG_2360.jpg

IMG_2362.jpg

IMG_2433.jpg

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow... this tank is gorgeous.

I love the stealthy mystique of the all tinted and black everything. Gothic. My kinda look.

Here for the trek.. amazing start and nice updates with pictures all the way through. I love ur stand too.
Thank you so much, I'm flattered. ;-)

All black everything. That's my kinda style. Plus a hint of antique industrial reclaimed/rustic - Haven't found a way to incorporate some of that style into this build yet, though...

Looking good! When do you plan on doing the transfer?
I am transfering my 90g into my new Nuvo 30l so we are kind of in the same boat lol
Thank you! Will begin the transfer/cycle process in about a month, or two (at most). Good luck to you with your transfer. Will be following along on your thread.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if it were me I'd go with option 5 and just build a new stand. Make it big enough for your sump, ATO Reservoir and add some equipment/controller space. But I'm crazy and enjoy spending money, I also enjoy building things sooo…..

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to hear you are closer to getting the tank wet, @samnaz

About the ATO thingy, I suggest to keep it next to the tank and find a furniture to cover it later. Keeping it inside the stand I always found it a pain as it limits the accessibility.
There was a thread somewhere about good ways to hide the reservoir, but I cannot find it anywhere.
The ATO system you have now is a good one. I used the same for a long time. It would be a waste to change it now.
You want the reservoir to be accessible, but away from direct light, for filling/dosing/maintenance.

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say 2 as well. I've seen some great tanks that have had a covered container next to the stand. When I planned my current tank, I designed the stand so everything fit compartmentalized inside, including the top off container. I really wish it was bigger now that I've run the tank through all seasons, I pretty much have to fill it up every 4 days. Also, being under the stand, I have to siphon top off water into it, easier than taking it out, which I can do. It would be awesome if I could just dump it in.

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After much consideration and thumb twiddling, I decided on placing the ATO reservoir next to the stand. Then I made a somewhat impulsive decision to get a new reservoir in black instead of taking the time to paint the one I have. Plus it's narrower and deeper, so less obtrusive, yet still holds 5 gallons. Plus plus, it's beautiful.

(pics from ebay cause I haven't taken any yet, it is actually much better looking and sleek in person)
s-l1600-2.jpg

s-l1600-3.jpg

I think if it were me I'd go with option 5 and just build a new stand. Make it big enough for your sump, ATO Reservoir and add some equipment/controller space. But I'm crazy and enjoy spending money, I also enjoy building things sooo…..
Josh, you have wildly underestimated my building capabilities (the only power tool I own is a drill) and most importantly, as much as I would enjoy throwing more money at this build, that's not an option (and that's not cause my wife said no, it's cause I just don't have any lol).

Nice build...exciting! Have you done the transfer yet???
Thanks so much Idoc, your build thread is still one of the best I've read, I learned so much.

Unfortunately, the tank is still waiting for water.

My family owns a small business and we decided to hugely upgrade to a 60,000 sq ft DUMP, so we have been working our ***** off fixing it up, working double overtime. By the time I get home I'm so wiped - not used to manual labor all day everyday (I'm a bookkeeper). I haven't touched the tank in weeks... :rolleyes:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Heck of a reservoir. This will be an exciting and beautiful build. I will forever admire those who buy the best equipment possible and plan accordingly

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heck of a reservoir. This will be an exciting and beautiful build. I will forever admire those who buy the best equipment possible and plan accordingly
Thanks! I have high hopes for the finished product. Truth is, I learned by doing the exact opposite - little planning and low quality/low cost equipment. Which worked perfectly fine I suppose, but could be so much better. Plus, the planning is a huge part of not only the excitement but the pride I feel when I see the hard work executed.

An industrial/goth display fuge. That could be really cool.
Love the idea but I’m at a loss when it comes to how, as there is no black colored macro algae as far as I know! Next best is red, which I already plan for my sump fuge to be mostly red macro algae.

OP
OP
samnaz

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are black sponges and NPS tube corals.
Ah, yes! I prefer sponges over algae anyway, and I even have one already growing in my current display tank in the shadows. The only black NPS coral I’m aware of is black sun corals, any others?

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, yes! I prefer sponges over algae anyway, and I even have one already growing in my current display tank in the shadows. The only black NPS coral I’m aware of is black sun corals, any others?
I cannot think of any others off hand. Would be awesome to have a black acropora or a black anemone.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back