Long Green Strand Thing on Live Rock?

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly, please disregard the cyano. Been battling it for a while and it's getting better.

Second, what in the heck is this stuff? It's dark green strands, maybe 1/8" in diameter. Dark green, but some strands have a bright green center. There's more of it elsewhere, but this is the biggest piece.

For reference, this chunk of rock was purchased from my lfs, already aged with coralline, spent some time in my DT, and is now sitting in a large plastic bin with a bunch of other rock and an eel. Showed up soon after the cyano started going away.

DSC_0817.JPG DSCPDC_0000_BURST20200607131537181.JPG

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I wonder who wrote that?

Almost completely harmless in my experience, it will almost certainly perish in your reef tank or if it survives, you may only have a few stalks. It's like halimeda, few hobbyists are able to keep it long term successfully.

Chickenzown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I wonder who wrote that?

Almost completely harmless in my experience, it will almost certainly perish in your reef tank or if it survives, you may only have a few stalks. It's like halimeda, few hobbyists are able to keep it long term successfully.

Careful with Neomeris Annulata, although it usually does not survive in tanks, it occasionally thrives and with completely take over your aquarium (I know this from bitter experience). I had a couple of strands on a piece of live rock and thought it looked nice, which is does... then it exploded and overran my entire tank. It thrives in SPS / low nutrient conditions.
I would remove it rather than take a risk.

NA_zps7c4620ad.jpg

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeez, yeah, looks nice but don't want that.
It's still there but not growing. The tank it is in is definitely nowhere near sps quality.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Careful with Neomeris Annulata, although it usually does not survive in tanks, it occasionally thrives and with completely take over your aquarium (I know this from bitter experience). I had a couple of strands on a piece of live rock and thought it looked nice, which is does... then it exploded and overran my entire tank. It thrives in SPS / low nutrient conditions.
I would remove it rather than take a risk.

NA_zps7c4620ad.jpg
That's amazing- I've only seen two or three tanks ever where it seemed to proliferate! You really drew the short end of the straw! Did you happen to have a calcium reactor running by any chance? On one of the tanks where it was spreading, they were having to maintain pretty high levels of calcium, otherwise the growth would stop- 2 part wasn't even keeping up (they were trying to grow the plant).

Andrew Zimmerman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an infestation of the stuff before. I had to go to extream measures to get rid of it. The most noticeable thing that worked was to raise my nutrient levels.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 122 58.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 30.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 36.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 16.4%
  • Other

Votes: 62 30.0%
Back