Long Nosed Hawk in QT was stuck in impeller

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was inside the suction of an Aquaclear Powerhead that can be added/removed from the pump. There is a grate that prevents actual contact with the impeller, but when I came down to the tank this morning he was missing. I found him bent into a U inside the pump suction ben t into a U. I initially thought he had died and been sucked up there, but as soon as I removed the fitting he shot out of there like greased lightning. He hasn't eaten and is lying about on his side, kinda belly up at times. He is already in QT on day 12 of copper treatment and medicated food. Is there anything else that I can/should do for him besides wait and see? He WAS doing great... has been eating really well and gets along with his tank mates...

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it has any injuries, scratches, etc. that look like it needs attention, consider a 90 minute bath in an acriflavine product like Ruby Reef Rally. It has both antiseptic and antibiotic qualities that can help a fish's immune system to do its work.

OP
OP
Grigs

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx, Big G. I cannot detect any physical malady. I suspect that we will have to wait it out. I have RRR ready to go. If he is still in a funk in the morning I'll give him the bath.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Please update with his condition. Wishing him a speedy recovery!

OP
OP
Grigs

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:(

He was down for the count this morning. Not that shocked, I guess. He had a bit of a kink to him when he came out for the first half hour or so. Gave him a good look when I pulled him out this morning. No external signs of physical trauma. Could have been internal damage from being folded for up to 8 hrs or maybe it was just too much stress. I'm leaving that stupid cap off going forward, though.

Thanks for the support, gang.

steallife904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that sucks. I have a longnose that's about 8 years old. Let me make you aware about them though incase you decide on another one... Mine became extremely aggressive as he got older. He makes it H*ll now to add anything to the tank. Thought about removing him but have had for so long just decide to work around it best I can. I was never aware back in the day when I got him how aggressive they can be.

OP
OP
Grigs

Grigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that sucks. I have a longnose that's about 8 years old. Let me make you aware about them though incase you decide on another one... Mine became extremely aggressive as he got older. He makes it H*ll now to add anything to the tank. Thought about removing him but have had for so long just decide to work around it best I can. I was never aware back in the day when I got him how aggressive they can be.

Wow, thanks for the heads up. Perhaps I assumed that the aggression being referred to during my research was towards other hawks. Had not seen indication that they got aggressive to other tank mates... Appreciate you sharing your experience!

Jurgen Frenz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was inside the suction of an Aquaclear Powerhead that can be added/removed from the pump. There is a grate that prevents actual contact with the impeller, but when I came down to the tank this morning he was missing. I found him bent into a U inside the pump suction ben t into a U. I initially thought he had died and been sucked up there, but as soon as I removed the fitting he shot out of there like greased lightning. He hasn't eaten and is lying about on his side, kinda belly up at times. He is already in QT on day 12 of copper treatment and medicated food. Is there anything else that I can/should do for him besides wait and see? He WAS doing great... has been eating really well and gets along with his tank mates...
That happened to my Thunder Maroon clown but with time and good feeding he was able to recover. He sill has deformed swimming movement but he’s thriving.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back