Long Tentacle Anemone

H2ONUT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
i got this long tenticle anemone at the LRS and it was all white and purple as you see it on the left hand side. I put it in a colander with the clowns overnight and the hosting went well. Put them in the tank and the anemone moved out of the light right away. it seemed listless so I fed it bits of conch, clam, scallop with drops of vitamarine. And it seems to be doing well ... except now it is turning brown on the sunny side. I assume this is zooxanthellae. the anemone seems to be turning and sometimes Fans itself over the entrance to it little cave ... I guess to get more light. At night it sometimes turns into a golf ball.
.... any thoughts on this behavior
and it was a beautiful color when I got it

42EB3CD4-6604-4F5F-8DC0-60A647CF17EE.jpeg 7E3B187F-6423-4606-B201-6D8DAC3A26D2.jpeg

Last edited:

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
brownish is it's natural color. What you bought was a bleached LTA. Allow it to find a place it is happy and leave it be. Any attempt to put it where you want it to be will only stress it out and make it move.

OP
OP
H2ONUT

H2ONUT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
brownish is it's natural color. What you bought was a bleached LTA. Allow it to find a place it is happy and leave it be. Any attempt to put it where you want it to be will only stress it out and make it move.
Thanks!
No intention of trying to move the anemone ... it is very happy right where it is .
I was pretty sure that the brown was the natural color for a healthy anemone with with zooxanthelae but wanted to verify all was well ...

it seems to be turning so that more of the blueish tentacles come into the light. Very cool

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to help!

As to feeding - small chunks of something meaty about once a week is generally plenty. It will also happily accept food particles brought to it by the currents when you feed. Attempting to feed too much/too often will just increase the waste produced in your system and potentially lead to algae issues.

OP
OP
H2ONUT

H2ONUT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to help!

As to feeding - small chunks of something meaty about once a week is generally plenty. It will also happily accept food particles brought to it by the currents when you feed. Attempting to feed too much/too often will just increase the waste produced in your system and potentially lead to algae issues.
Algae issues I’ve got
But yes I feed about once a week now that the anemone seems to be feeling better. Thanks!!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 52 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.1%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%
Back