Long term clownfish pair (like years together) suddenly killing each other

Goni Bananas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

So I have a pair of Spotcinctus clownfish that I've had for at least 4 years if not 5. They have been with me from a 28 gal to a 55 and In august, they were moved across the country into a 300-gallon. this entire time they've never even attempted to breed despite being massive clownfish easily over 4 inches if not 5. Still, they have always displayed normal hierarchy dominance behaviors. I've always thought it was weird that they never even tried but being designer clownfish I figured it was possible they were siblings and some instinctual aversion was happening. The male clown has always seemed more into breeding behavior but the female never reciprocated. Despite this, they always got along great and would spend most of their time together.

So this past Monday night I started a lights-out period for my tank to deal with some cyano. When I turned the lights back on I noticed immediately that the female was in rough shape. Lost scales, torn fins, the works. After some observation, I realized that it was the male clownfish doing the attacking. and it wasn't even just nipping he was clamping onto her gills and holding on. After seeing all this happen, it seems to me as though the male clown is trying to fight for dominance right? When I looked objectively, it does seem like the male has grown a lot recently and it is now similar in size to the female. The weird thing though (I'll attach a video but beware it's like 2 mins long. the male is the one on the left at the beginning of the video) is that I've seen both of them display submissive behaviors during these fights. The large female doesn't seem to be fighting at all and is completely submissive

It seems obvious that the answer is separation (luckily I'm setting up a nice planted refugium underneath so I can put her down there and she should be pretty happy. I'm just curious if anyone has ever heard of such a long-term pair suddenly having issues like this. The male was gigantic by male standards, by any other clownfish pair standards, he'd easily be a female.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

So I have a pair of Spotcinctus clownfish that I've had for at least 4 years if not 5. They have been with me from a 28 gal to a 55 and In august, they were moved across the country into a 300-gallon. this entire time they've never even attempted to breed despite being massive clownfish easily over 4 inches if not 5. Still, they have always displayed normal hierarchy dominance behaviors. I've always thought it was weird that they never even tried but being designer clownfish I figured it was possible they were siblings and some instinctual aversion was happening. The male clown has always seemed more into breeding behavior but the female never reciprocated. Despite this, they always got along great and would spend most of their time together.

So this past Monday night I started a lights-out period for my tank to deal with some cyano. When I turned the lights back on I noticed immediately that the female was in rough shape. Lost scales, torn fins, the works. After some observation, I realized that it was the male clownfish doing the attacking. and it wasn't even just nipping he was clamping onto her gills and holding on. After seeing all this happen, it seems to me as though the male clown is trying to fight for dominance right? When I looked objectively, it does seem like the male has grown a lot recently and it is now similar in size to the female. The weird thing though (I'll attach a video but beware it's like 2 mins long. the male is the one on the left at the beginning of the video) is that I've seen both of them display submissive behaviors during these fights. The large female doesn't seem to be fighting at all and is completely submissive

It seems obvious that the answer is separation (luckily I'm setting up a nice planted refugium underneath so I can put her down there and she should be pretty happy. I'm just curious if anyone has ever heard of such a long-term pair suddenly having issues like this. The male was gigantic by male standards, by any other clownfish pair standards, he'd easily be a female.

Thanks everyone!

Sadly this is not uncommon. When one wants to breed and finds the other unsuitable for any reason, they'll try to kill the other to allow another to take its place. What their species behavior doesn't account for is they are in an aquarium. After the hobbyist witnesses one fish kill another fish, we aren't to keen on giving surviving fish another fish 'friend'.

In the 300, it likely gave them enough space to cut down on enough aggression keeping one male so both became female.

Glad you separated them. Obviously never put them back together.

OP
OP
Goni Bananas

Goni Bananas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the hobbyist witnesses one fish kill another fish, we aren't to keen on giving surviving fish another fish 'friend'.

Hmm yeah that was kinda what I was afraid of. I was a little confused by this line, you think that the male would attempt to kill any new clownfish now? I was thinking of getting a baby spotcinctus for the little guy (soon to be gal) so there would be a huge size discrepancy and he could finally start breeding. The female since shes never been keen on it I wasn’t thinking I would get her another clown

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm yeah that was kinda what I was afraid of. I was a little confused by this line, you think that the male would attempt to kill any new clownfish now?
You might pick a winner, but what if the new Queen decides the tiny little (immature) Spotty is worth hanging out with? Might work, might not. GL!

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave the remaining male in your tank alone for a few months. I’m thinking he’ll change to a female at some point, then several months from now I would search out a small immature or definitely male clown of your liking and introduce using an acclimation box. Take your time. Goodluck.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back