Long time aquarist, new to salt

LokiDawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, ive decided to venture to the dark side. I'm a long time aquarist and have ran multiple planted tanks.. I currently run one Iwagumi themed themed thank with extreme grade blue bolts and bloody mary neocaridina.
I am awaiting my delivery of a red sea reefer deluxe 170. I will also be running a neptune apex Wi-Fi with automated dosing. (I thoroughly enjoy automation). I have a very time consuming job in the medical field so the cost is worth the ease. I purchased a vertex 130 skimmer for the sump (pretty much all that will fit in there). Comes with ATO. I have also purchased a sicce 2.0 for return. I already have a rodi system for my freshwater tank.
Any beginners advice and what my most important aspirations should be?? What is the biggest learning curve?

15475122184565256686534441357512.jpg

15475122673396403533147206938435.jpg

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank!
The biggest learning curve IMO is to keep it simple, don't try and save a few bucks by buying sketchy and cheap equipment, and avoid overreacting to issues that come up. When trying to solve an issue in a reef tank, change one thing at a time and then observe what that change actually does for a few weeks before making other changes. Corals react much slower to most changes than many people realize. Try to never get yourself in a situation where you had a problem and did seven things in an attempt to fix it and have no idea which one of those actually was the solution. If you do that enough over time you'll have a pretty good idea of what you're doing!

... And in the meantime surf around and find one or two people who have a tank that looks the way you invasion yours looking and follow their advice. It's really easy to be led down the wrong path with the avalanche of anecdotal and sometimes contradictory advice that you'll find online.

Scotty Buttons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! That's a awesome planted tank! I think the best advice here is to go slow and when you think your going slow enough, slow down more. If you have any questions just ask em here. The biggest learning curve for me was learning to keep stable water conditions if you want a reef. Ive heard the saying that in this hobby your not keeping fish and corals your keeping good water.

Happy reefing

OP
OP
L

LokiDawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I'm all aboit stable water parameters. Thats why I'm ok spending the extra 1200 for the neptune system. Id rather spend a little more now than end up spending the same on a looong learning curve. I know it's a small tank but that means the quality goes down way quicker than a larger tank. I'm so excited to start this adventure. I have as much time as I need . I made the stand and everything for that planted, and made sure I had every component before I started anything. I even put drawers into it.

Also, if there's any freshwater bee keepers let me know. I can ship for reasonable prices.

As far as sand and rock... What is the better live rock? What are the higher quality products in general?

Last edited:

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Your planted tank was awesome. You know about stability, this will be an easy transition! Plenty of info right on R2R for any equipment you may be considering. Biggest decision on rock is live or dry. I always do live, and pests do come with the territory, but the pleasant surprises make it worthwhile to me!

OP
OP
L

LokiDawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For "more stable" parameters, meaning I colonize my own rock... What is the best practice? And if the answer is wet, what is the best source?

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always loved the pacific live rock from Fiji, Marshall Islands, Bali, etc, but this is getting very hard to get these days. If I were buying some today I would get it from one of the Florida companies farming it like Tampa bay Saltwater. The amount of life is incredible, and I would quarantine it to get crabs and mantis shrimp trapped as well as observe for other issues.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, ive decided to venture to the dark side. I'm a long time aquarist and have ran multiple planted tanks.. I currently run one Iwagumi themed themed thank with extreme grade blue bolts and bloody mary neocaridina.
I am awaiting my delivery of a red sea reefer deluxe 170. I will also be running a neptune apex Wi-Fi with automated dosing. (I thoroughly enjoy automation). I have a very time consuming job in the medical field so the cost is worth the ease. I purchased a vertex 130 skimmer for the sump (pretty much all that will fit in there). Comes with ATO. I have also purchased a sicce 2.0 for return. I already have a rodi system for my freshwater tank.
Any beginners advice and what my most important aspirations should be?? What is the biggest learning curve?

15475122184565256686534441357512.jpg

15475122673396403533147206938435.jpg
That’s a beautiful tank very nice indeed

And welcome to R2R as well, it’s great to have you with us!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back