coral_crinoid_chimney_787med.jpg

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
istockphoto-843510116-612x612.jpg

Welcome to the salty side of life! If you're keeping your heater(s) in the sump like most folks, you may need to increase the temp on the heaters slightly to maintain the desired temp in the tank. Where are your heaters? Do you have a separate temp probe?

OP
OP
D

Drake1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One temp probe for the system. I don’t see a good reason to not keep a consistent temp through the whole tank
Another ? I have is do I still need a hang on filter system when I have a sump/ refugium ?

OP
OP
D

Drake1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refugium are entirely optional in any sense. I have a 6 year old sps tank with no refugium at all
I would just like to have the DT with no filter system up top, I guess that’s my real ?

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a display tank with rocks and flow is entirely possible. You just have to manage your expectations. Less light. Fewer fish. Lighter feeding.

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do and I think most of us keep our heaters in the sump to keep them out of the DT. So then your water all should be the same temp.

I keep one heater in the sump and one in the tank just in case the return pump fails and the sump heater becomes useless.

Another ? I have is do I still need a hang on filter system when I have a sump/ refugium ?

No, the sump replaces the hang on filter system. Anything you would normally put in a HOB filter now goes in the sump plus you should have room for additional equipment like a heater, (or two) a skimmer and or reactors and such. Depending on the size and how many chambers you have you can fit a lot in the sump. I have a 40 gallon sump with 5 chambers and keep two large Marine Pure bricks and plenty of Marine Pure Balls as well as a few pieces of live rock, I have a Refugium, a large protein skimmer, a heater, a pump for my UV sterilizer, my return pump and several probes for my Apex system and 2 filter socks and 2 filter cups full of filter floss. I do not use a reactor yet, but keep my carbon in a mesh bag in the first chamber of the sump.

It is really up to you and what your goals are for the tank that will determine what to keep in the sump. Ask lots of questions and do some research and you will save some money getting what you need instead of buying things you will end up not using or replacing.

Good luck and WELCOME TO R2R!!! ;Happy

OP
OP
D

Drake1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep one heater in the sump and one in the tank just in case the return pump fails and the sump heater becomes useless.

No, the sump replaces the hang on filter system. Anything you would normally put in a HOB filter now goes in the sump plus you should have room for additional equipment like a heater, (or two) a skimmer and or reactors and such. Depending on the size and how many chambers you have you can fit a lot in the sump. I have a 40 gallon sump with 5 chambers and keep two large Marine Pure bricks and plenty of Marine Pure Balls as well as a few pieces of live rock, I have a Refugium, a large protein skimmer, a heater, a pump for my UV sterilizer, my return pump and several probes for my Apex system and 2 filter socks and 2 filter cups full of filter floss. I do not use a reactor yet, but keep my carbon in a mesh bag in the first chamber of the sump.

It is really up to you and what your goals are for the tank that will determine what to keep in the sump. Ask lots of questions and do some research and you will save some money getting what you need instead of buying things you will end up not using or replacing.

Good luck and WELCOME TO R2R!!! ;Happy
Thanks for the info, this is the biggest science project I’ve ever done, at least this time I’m not falling asleep in class ha ha !

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had crazy accurate probes or thermometers, I suppose you might see minuscule differences between the temp in a DT and the sump/fuge, but basically, they're gonna be the same temp regardless of what you set the heaters at... even if you're only running 1-2x tank turnover an hour.

If you're asking what you should set your heaters at, and suggesting that you plan to keep one in the sump and one in the display.... there are a huge number of choices and approaches.

OP
OP
D

Drake1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What temp should I keep my sump/ refug @ when my display is @ 76 deg
Hey I have another ? My protein skimmer dumps the clean water into my refug. That is okay right ? Because I’ve noticed that my chaeto is not doing well

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back