ryan reynolds deadpool GIF

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings to all!
Been keeping mostly African Cichlids for 20 years. My itch for moving to Salt may finally get scratched this year! I have been researching and soaking in saltwater info for months now and I'm finally ready to take the plunge into the deep as soon as the money is right.
Anyone with "if only I knew _____ before I set up my first reef tank" is welcome to join the conversation!

Thanks.

Welcome! Glad you joined.

This is a great reference book type article:

"If I only knew..." coral dips don't actually kill anything (except Bayer, which is 4th type of dip (pestacide) BRS 'best of video doesn't even discuss), so enhanced our dip processes to multiple dip types and GENTLY shake coral thru entire phases to dislodge anything irritated enough to fall off, remove plug and either put on new plug or directly onto rock in our tank (yes, softies must go into acclimation box with low flow settled onto assorted rocks so it (eventually) gets attached to new rock so it has frag plug like replacement so we can attach directly onto rock in our tank).

"If I only knew..." hydrogen peroxide trying to kill green hair algae growing on coral would kill more coral than the green hair algae killed coral... and the hydrogen peroxide 'death creep' was horrible...

"If I only knew..." Vibrant will take three months+ to kill green hair algae and all the other types of algae will first die so try to pull out as much algae as possible to make the weeks & months pass faster and let the Vibrant get to the hard stuff sooner

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome !

I’m just like you, I transferred to saltwater after 40+ years of freshwater.

What I find the biggest difference in the two world is diseases. In freshwater, treating diseases isn’t so hard for the most part, and doesn’t even happen that often if you know what you’re doing.

In saltwater, disease seems common and can wipe down a tank quickly. And since fish are so much more expensive, it’s not something you want to be careless with. Also, the meds you need to use are incompatible with corals, which makes it even more complex. I am just starting to understand this part and I have a lot more research to do.

MeanGreenStompa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, as someone who's recently also made the pilgrimage from fresh to salt, some experiences I've had:

Plan out your rockwork carefully and look at the videos on creating 'negative spaces', I piled my rock high and left myself with far too little space for coral placement.

Get an auto top off and reservoir, it will save you a lot of headache and help you reach balance much faster.

add a few pieces of seeded live rock, ensure it's pest free from aptasia and bryopsis and so on, to the rockwork (I also added Dr Tim's bacteria and microbacter 7.

ForTheLoveOfCoral21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, Reef2Reef is by far the best place for information and help when it comes to reef keeping. There isn't anything even remotely close to the information this site offers.

Glad you made it here!

R.jpeg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%

Back