Longfin bannerfish - to add or not to add?

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

My tank still looks a bit empty as I am gradually adding fish, and so I am thinking of adding a Longfin Bannerfish to my tank along with my Blue Tang, Foxface, damsel and Clowns. I also have various soft corals and inverts in my tank.

I love the colour and shape of a Moorish Idol (looks liek freshwater Angels) but they are v expensive and from what I have read v hard to keep. A Longfin Bannerfish, which look fairly similar, seems a cheaper option and easier to have:

bannerfish.jpg

Can anyone here tell me of their experience with this species of fish and any advice?

Thanks

Scott

OP
OP
S

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its only a 30g. I was looking at a juvenile, so once it grew too large i'd exchange it at my store.

I have a Foxface, a Blue Tang (very juvenile), 2 Clowns , a Spotted Mandarin, a Gamma and a Dwarf Damsel.

Corals; Duncans, Zoas, GSP, Zenia and a Sea Fan. Would a Bannerfish eat any of those?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, for a long time I was absolutely infatuated with these fish and seeing a pic of it reminds me that I still am. They’re absolutely beautiful fish, I know, and I would love to have one, until my common sense and considerations for size won out.

They get large, they get to 10” and considering your list of fish in your 30 gal (I know you plan to upgrade) I wouldn’t put any more. Also, the Longfin is not reef safe and after thinking about it I gave up on it deciding that I didn’t to lose any corals. H. Diphreutes is the more reef safe variety but not the easiest to come across and juveniles are often had to tell one from the other. I’m not sure if H. Diphreutes are smaller, some sources seem to believe so, but I need more confirmation on this one.

If you are going for a reef and want to keep butterflies as a group, everything I’ve heard seems to suggest the Yellow Pyramid and Zoster as the best options. They can be kept singly, or in a small group. Still pretty hardy as far as I know as long as you get them healthy from the beginning.

Good luck! I’d still love to have Heniochus one day.

OP
OP
S

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going for a reef and want to keep butterflies as a group, everything I’ve heard seems to suggest the Yellow Pyramid and Zoster as the best options.
Wow I like the look of the Yellow Pyramid!
Thanks I have taken the advice and decided not to go for a Bannerfish until if and when I get a much larger tank.

Scott

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 53 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back