Longhorn cowfish poison corals?

Fishflakes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a longhorn cowfish from my LFS after spending a ton of time researching them. I've held off buying one because I was afraid of the toxin they supposedly release if stressed or threatened. I finally caved and bought one since the tank I'm putting it in only has two oscellaris clowns, a midas blenny, and a red hawkfish in it, so it wouldn't be a huge loss If it happened. I did not think about corals though and I cant find anything to suggest corals would be in danger. Anyone have any experience with a boxfish toxin hurting corals?

OP
OP
Fishflakes

Fishflakes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The longhorn cowfish ate great the first day. Ate some frozen brine shrimp and half a sheet of nori that first day. Today it seems to be less willing to eat. It hasn't touched a new sheet of nori I set out, and it actually blew the shrimp away when I tried to spot feed him. He might just be getting used to the new tank I suppose, but i dont like to see a fish refuse food. Normally that's a sign of a problem in my experience.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Glad he seems to be doing better

tag62001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I mean. He ate great the first day I had him. Today he doesnt seem to want to eat. He might still be getting used to my tank I guess.
How's he doing? Did he come out of it and adjust?

Back where it all began

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and they are quite hardy. Mine eats like a pig. I feed Rods herbivore blend and seaweed pellets for all. My cowfish likes to hang out in my leather corals, type of camouflage. He’s never eaten anything but food. The poison factor is highly overrated as think what these tiny creatures have been through just to reach your tank. Mine is very tame and eats out of my hand.

tag62001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and they are quite hardy. Mine eats like a pig. I feed Rods herbivore blend and seaweed pellets for all. My cowfish likes to hang out in my leather corals, type of camouflage. He’s never eaten anything but food. The poison factor is highly overrated as think what these tiny creatures have been through just to reach your tank. Mine is very tame and eats out of my hand.
Thanks very much, I have a tiny one coming next week ( tiny as in .75"-1") very excited they and green Mandarins are my favorite and I have a biota mandarin lol so I can't wait.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back