OP
OP
th365thli

th365thli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See if still doing this in the morning. PraziPro will be the treatment if treatment s necessary
Thanks guys, hopefully it makes it through the night. If symptoms continue, if I were to treat the main display with prazi i would stop UV and remove skimmer cup to let it overflow, and remove carbon?

I should have some ruby reef rally coming in tmrw. Would it be better to give it a bath in that?

OP
OP
th365thli

th365thli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shoot the longnose is now upside down.

What should i do?? @Jay Hemdal

Edit: It just righted itself, swam away, Same behavior, ugh I'll be embarrassed if it was just sleeping

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks guys, hopefully it makes it through the night. If symptoms continue, if I were to treat the main display with prazi i would stop UV and remove skimmer cup to let it overflow, and remove carbon?

I should have some ruby reef rally coming in tmrw. Would it be better to give it a bath in that?
Yes on all

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Edit: It just righted itself, swam away, Same behavior, ugh I'll be embarrassed if it was just sleeping
They will tread thru the water sideways at times. Allow it to destress and settle in. Try small amount of brine shrimp tomorrow and see if it shows interest
Assure the water flow is not strong as it will fight current and not swim in correct position

OP
OP
th365thli

th365thli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After more observation I deem this not regular stress. I've seen new fish stressed from aggression etc. None of that fit the case with this longnose butterfly. So i decided to act. I had similar symptoms with a flame angel and the next morning it died. I did a 15 minute methylene blue bath. The fish started piping so I cut it short from 30 minutes as recommended by humblefish.

I did a water change in my qt and put him in there. Attached a video. Still fast respiration but not as bad in the main tank. The qt still had some general cure in. I will monitor and probably dose 1/4th general cure or 1/4th prazipro. If conditions worsen I'll hope fervently the ruby rally pro arrives quickly tmrw.

Hear it is, it's upright now, slowly exploring the qt. The video should be clear. Still occasionally twitching. Also something on it's pectoral fin. can't tell what it is. There is an airstone and a wavemaker for surface agitation. If the prazi doesn't work then I'm out of ideas besides the ruby reef rally.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just seeing this - while LN butterflies will often swim along a surface, even upside-down, they don't sleep that way, hoping here that the fish made it through the night....

In the video, it looks like there is some redness on its snout, pretty common for these to damage their snouts during shipping/handling.

General Cure and Prazipro both break down pretty quickly. Depending on when you've dosed it, you may need to do a full redose.

Jay

OP
OP
th365thli

th365thli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just seeing this - while LN butterflies will often swim along a surface, even upside-down, they don't sleep that way, hoping here that the fish made it through the night....

In the video, it looks like there is some redness on its snout, pretty common for these to damage their snouts during shipping/handling.

General Cure and Prazipro both break down pretty quickly. Depending on when you've dosed it, you may need to do a full redose.

Jay

Last night I did a full dose. Should I redose full today?

Hes still swimming around but still breathing hard and piping

OP
OP
th365thli

th365thli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fox face i got yesterday looks fine, other fish healthy, I must've gotten bad luck again with this longnose

OP
OP
th365thli

th365thli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also wondering, if the prazi isn't doing much if it's a bacterial infection. I have neoplex, sulphaplex, and kanaplex. Should I consider dosing neoplex in the qt? It already has general cure in so I'll need to do a water change for kanaplex. Not sure about the others

OP
OP
th365thli

th365thli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish is now piping for air, breathing hard. I did another full dose of prazipro and increased aeration. Now just anxiously waiting for the ruby reef rally to be delivered. Have not started antibiotics yet.

I bought this store about two day after it was delivered to the LFS. In hindsight I should've waited. It was the only one, but in my haste I bought it quick. I either should've bought online from a trusted vendor or just be patient. I didn't inspect it closely enough at the LFS, at that time and right after I brought it home it was upright.

Considering my other tank inhabitants including the newly introduced Foxface (that one I acclimated from low low salinity), are active and eating, and my parameters as measured yesterday were in line, I'm reasonably certain this particular longnose just has something specific going on. Whether it be a parasitic or bacterial faction I'm not sure. It's been a tough couple weeks, losing an ornate leopard wrasse (sheer bad luck accident, got trapped under rocks, a regal angel that came with some infection, and now this longnose is having issues)

Last edited:
OP
OP
th365thli

th365thli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor guys passed away. The ruby rally pro finally came but he died during the bath. He was probably too far gone, lying on it's side gasping. If I had done the dip earlier when it was still swimming maybe it would've helped.

Losing fish is by far the worst part of the hobby. Need to mentally regroup. All signs point to a bacterial infection but I'm removing all live rock and inverts from the main display in preparation in case I need to treat it. My only hope is that it was not velvet.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I did a full dose. Should I redose full today?

Hes still swimming around but still breathing hard and piping
No - I misunderstood what you are proposing to do. You need to wait at least 3 days before a full redose (and water changes beforehand are always safest).

Jay

OP
OP
th365thli

th365thli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - I misunderstood what you are proposing to do. You need to wait at least 3 days before a full redose (and water changes beforehand are always safest).

Jay
Ahh.... no worries Jay, I think the fish was a goner from the beginning. The first dose of general cure didn't do much. Perhaps if I had the Ruby Rally earlier it might've helped. Currently moving all inverts to a holding take for fallow as I aim to treat the main display.

Back