Longnose butterfly dropped dead...

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, here we go again. I purchased a pair of longnose butterflies in early January, both were eating well & healthy at the store, and both ate when I got them home. The day after, the suspected female dropped dead out of nowhere, no signs of disease, lumps, discoloration or anything.
And I've had a lone male in my tank since then. He's been doing great, eating voraciously and getting along with my other fish really well. However, yesterday I noticed he wasn't quite as willing to eat, and then about an hour ago I noticed some slight heavy breathing. I went back down to check a couple minutes ago and, lo and behold, it was dead in a crevice. No signs of disease, no aggression. He was a little underfed, but not disgustingly so. He did have a few ich spots a few weeks ago, which I dipped him for, but he seems to have recently shed them off. Some minor fin damage was also present, but it had begun recovering before the fish died.
This same thing happened last autumn to a Corallinus Rabbitfish, it was doing perfectly fine and then died overnight.
I'm not really asking for advice here, I'm just really getting tired of this. I'm sick of random deaths and hundreds of dollars being washed down the drain. I just wish I could get a grip on this tank for once.

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll add pictures in a bit. I just washed my hands and don't want to fish out the corpse with soap on my arms.

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, miracles do happen. I went to get the corpse from its hidey hole, but when I attempted to grab it out, the fish sprung back to life and swam to the front of the tank. it doesn't look great, it's covered in stings from my stupid Condylactis anemone, and it somehow lost nearly half it's weight in a single day. But it's breathing, and it's looking around. I've put in in my refugium for the night, and I'm going to be nursing it back to health down there.
That anemone is public enemy #1 right now. It's already cost me $700 in livestock, and I'm not about to lose another dime.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back