20230328_194938.jpg

They also carry dead torches. 20230328_194922.jpg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME how good the saltwater fish department of a PetCo is correlates to how much the person managing it cares. I have 3 PetCo stores within an hour of me, and one of them is awful, one is okay, and one has a really nice selection of healthy fish and corals.
I was talking to an employee at the nice one and as it turns out he was the one who ran it, and is also a reefer who has a passion for the hobby. How many PetCo stores have you seen that carry acropora, because that store is the only one I’ve seen.

Last edited:

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME how good the saltwater fish department of a PetCo is correlates to how much the person managing it cares. I have 3 PetCo stores within an hour of me, and one of them is awful, one is okay, and one has a really nice selection of healthy fish and corals.
I was talking to an employee at the nice one and as it turns out he was the one who ran it, and is also a reefer who has a passion for the hobby. How many PetCo stores have you seen that carry acropora, because that store is the only one I’ve seen.

Same here. I've been told they have to get certified by corporate to even have saltwater stuff. There are some in the DFW area that don't have saltwater at all and others have a few tanks and there is one that actually has a couple of bigger tanks off on their own that only have coral. Most of the coral is just the ORA stuff though, but good prices. All the fish I've gotten from my local petco have been real healthy. The only thing I find weird is their pricing. Some fish will be half of what the normal lfs charges and then some fish they are 20 to 30% more.

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing the scopas in that bad of shape really irks me smh. The Petco in my area had a clown trigger for sale awhile back. It was paper thin and lethargic, I asked an employee what they were feeding it? He said brine shrimp lol smh it’s almost criminal in my book to get those fish in and not provide the care they require. I almost on impulse thought about taking it home to try and save it but I just wasn’t ready for it. Very sad. Sufficed to say I’m not a big fan of Petco.

OP
OP
Rugops

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing the scopas in that bad of shape really irks me smh. The Petco in my area had a clown trigger for sale awhile back. It was paper thin and lethargic, I asked an employee what they were feeding it? He said brine shrimp lol smh it’s almost criminal in my book to get those fish in and not provide the care they require. I almost on impulse thought about taking it home to try and save it but I just wasn’t ready for it. Very sad. Sufficed to say I’m not a big fan of Petco.
It seems they do semi-good job. Everything else in their tanks is fine. Well, except a hawkish that has hole in the head.

OP
OP
Rugops

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. I have 2 more within 30minutes of me. None of them have coral or take care of them well but they do take care of fish well it seems. All of then are fat and happy it seems.

I have a mall petshop but they sell regular occelaris and percula clowns at like $50 each. They have really nice BTAs at $40 though.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. I've been told they have to get certified by corporate to even have saltwater stuff. There are some in the DFW area that don't have saltwater at all and others have a few tanks and there is one that actually has a couple of bigger tanks off on their own that only have coral. Most of the coral is just the ORA stuff though, but good prices. All the fish I've gotten from my local petco have been real healthy. The only thing I find weird is their pricing. Some fish will be half of what the normal lfs charges and then some fish they are 20 to 30% more.
which petco in dfw has saltwater? the one near me on beltline doesnt have any. Just curious to drop and see what they have

OP
OP
Rugops

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have like 3 Petcos near me. They all do freshwater REALLY well but the saltwater is like a hit or miss lol.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It has been a few years since I visited but one in Minnesota I went to had a frag tank with acros (lit by leds they don’t sell, ha!) and always nice looking fish with nicer prices. The manager was in the hobby though.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
which petco in dfw has saltwater? the one near me on beltline doesnt have any. Just curious to drop and see what they have

Several have saltwater. The one in Allen off 75 is supposed to be the "best" in the area. Not sure of exit street but there is a Target across the street from it. The one near me on Eldorado and Dallas North has a descent selection of fish, only a couple of corals. Not sure what is going on right now. I think they are going to do a remodel because they have had all their freshwater and saltwater fish on sale for the last couple of weeks and they haven't gotten anything new in. They remodeled the entire store except for the fish section earlier this year. The Lewisville store has saltwater and I went into a new one off 35W over in Ft Worth a few months ago and they had saltwater. I've heard Burleson has a nice Petco but I'm never down there since the good petstore down there went online only.

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was actually surprised at the one Petco store near me that cares saltwater, and the manager there is totally into saltwater in general. I asked a few questions and she seemed to be more knowledgeable than I would have otherwise expected. I honestly would not hesitate to buy something there. Tanks were clean, corals and fish were healthy and the selection was pretty decent.

craiglwright

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
South Dallas Petco's are terrible

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 103 57.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 53 29.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 64 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 31 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 53 29.6%
Back