Look what I found growing in my weir, what is that thing?

EmptyWallet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved some furniture last night and for the first time in a year or so, exposed the side of the tank, including the weir and discovered this magnificent creature - but what the heck is it (about the size of a medium pizza)

I understand all the little white tiny 'things' are siliceous sponges, is that just a giant one forming?

sponge.jpg

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved some furniture last night and for the first time in a year or so, exposed the side of the tank, including the weir and discovered this magnificent creature - but what the heck is it (about the size of a medium pizza)

I understand all the little white tiny 'things' are siliceous sponges, is that just a giant one forming?

sponge.jpg

That is definately a sponge. Not sure on the type though. Doubt it's one of the smaller ones turning into a giant colony. Most likely something totally different.

It sure is cool looking!

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
towards the edges of the photo I see some smaller ones of the same type as the big one. It's *so* hard to transplant sponges. You can't expose them to air at all. Maybe you could get one of the smaller ones out though..

OP
OP
EmptyWallet

EmptyWallet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
towards the edges of the photo I see some smaller ones of the same type as the big one. It's *so* hard to transplant sponges. You can't expose them to air at all. Maybe you could get one of the smaller ones out though..
It is in my weir, perhaps I can 'stuff it down' the outflow pipe into the sump that way - what could go wrong? (lol). Failing that i'll serve it to my Moorish Idol for his b'day, he loves the little selacious sponges !

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bryozoans are brittle like potato chips, sponges are like wet potato chips (Science is so precise!) I don't think your Moorish idol will eat a Bryozoan, but a sponge will disappear like a can of Pringles.

Are you using natural seawater in that tank? Likely planktonic hitchhiker from the fouling community.

OP
OP
EmptyWallet

EmptyWallet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nah I use synthetic salt, but suspect the first siliceous sponge came in with some live rock in the early days. I'll give it a prod tonight but I'm certain it will be soggy/squishy not brittle/hard

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back