Look where I found 2 Baby Maxima Clams!!!!!!!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have 1 left of the 2 snails that I got from a fish store that are host to a maxima clam as well. He seems to be doing ok although the other one died when I had to treat for dino's. At least one survived so I am happy. Like you said about when the snail dies .....I also will make sure to place the clam in a proper spot to make sure he lives a long life. Nice hitch hiker for free in my opinion.
You mean a bivalve attached to the snail shell. Maybe an oyster. Tridacna clams attached with basal threads which they can let go or easily cut. The shell of a Tridacna clam does not fused on to the snail shell like in the OP’s picture.

If I indeed have a hitch hiker Tridacna clam, I just cut him off of the snail shell and put him under optimal condition to give him the best chance to grow.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome! My blue tuxedo urchin actually has a coral polyp on it that it picked up in it’s travels around the tank.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree and it was my first thought too, most likely some kind of oysters, estimating from the attached shell.

OP
OP
Phil D.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to rain on your parade, but while you may have clams on the snail shell, these are the non photosynthetic clams, not Tridacna clams. Your clam will slowly died in your tank because there are not enough particles in a normal reef tank to feed them.
Your pictures are not clear enough, but with a clearer picture, we all can see that these are not Tridacna clams.
Unfortunately, you are right. I got a closer look when the snail was on the glass and they look like scallops.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, was cleaning my tank yesterday and saw an Astrea snail that the shell looked totally WEIRD! Got a flashlight to get a better look, and HOLY CRUD! it has 2 baby maximas attached! They both reacted well to the light, (closing when shadowed), so hopefully I'll be able to get them put in a good spot when the snail finally dies.
Have any of you folks seen this before??

-2652941548453605284.jpg
This is awesome!!!!!
1567610844022.gif

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sure. Kill the snail to keep him from killing the TWO Maxima. That is nearly 100.00 worth of clams. Are the clams yellow? Or ultra? Ultra Maxima got to worth near 100 each even at those size.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 42.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back