Looking at using cheap ebay LEd growth lamps for refugium. opinions welcome.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys, I'm setting up 2 refugiums, and I was going to just buy a CFL bulb and be done with it, but then I looked into growth lamps and found these on ebay:

E27 Red Blue 80 LEDs 3 8W Hydroponic Plant Grow Growth Light Bulb 220V New | eBay

Would these work? I'm planning to grow chaeto and caulerpa. I'm thinking that as prices go, these would pay for themselves over time and might actually give me better growth. My other option was just a regular 6500k CFL (which I didn't get great results from on my previous setup).

GratefulReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go to buildmyled you could get a 12 inch fixture for like 120$ obviously that led is much cheaper but you can customize your own lighting and get better quality leds.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Understood, but would the results be that much better? My fuge is hidden below my stand, so it won't be a display.

GratefulReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not a lighting expert by any means, but I would think the results would be day and night. That fixture you posted most likely has very low quality LEDs and only 2 colors. With the suggestion I posted you can get a better spectrum, with lenses and you could put frags in there to grow out a little before going into the DT.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheap Chinese Fixtures are what you get.

Please search their reliability.

Like skimmers and pumps many have tried the cheap route only to spend more in the long run replacing cheap equipment.

Lots of specific options out there

A bit of research out there as well but you my want to use a lot less red for the Marine Environment...

The Red may work well in Boulder Colorado growing "Tomatos" in ones basement for medicinal purposes. But this spectrum is not good for frags and not optimal for marine algae.

I have had great results growing Marine Algae with a 1:1 ratio of Cree XT-E Cool White and Royal Blue.

Bill

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cheap Chinese Fixtures are what you get.

Please search their reliability.

Like skimmers and pumps many have tried the cheap route only to spend more in the long run replacing cheap equipment.

Lots of specific options out there

A bit of research out there as well but you my want to use a lot less red for the Marine Environment...

The Red may work well in Boulder Colorado growing "Tomatos" in ones basement for medicinal purposes. But this spectrum is not good for frags and not optimal for marine algae.

I have had great results growing Marine Algae with a 1:1 ratio of Cree XT-E Cool White and Royal Blue.

Bill

Thanks, Bill. I did some more research after my last post on here, and I'm seeing exactly what you're talking about...it looks like red is actually better for flowering...which I won't need for macro...and blue is better for growth. Most folks are using either blue or cool white or a combination. I'm thinking of possibly trying cool white (6500k?) on one fuge and blue on the other. What do you think?

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run full spectrum cork screwy bulbs over my under tank refugium and grow algae just fine. IMO you should spend the $$ on something more fun for your system.

CoralFragZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won a 24" reef bright and it lights up a huge section in my fuge. Also think if residual value that you might pay a few bucks but subtract why you could get for it and that is your net cost. That is how I talked my self into 2 mp60 and 2 mp40s. Also I wouldn't use that much red even over a fuge. Look for 65K if your growing macro algae.

charlieborg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a led bulb like u would use in your house , 7 watts I be leave and it grows Cheeto great! Almost no heat either.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Back