Looking for a cheap pump that can handle high head pressure

HeyJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a cheap submersible pump that can go up 8 feet and then over 10 feet. This will be used just to get water change waste to a drain across the room.

Any recommendations for a cheapo Amazon pump?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I need a cheap submersible pump that can go up 8 feet and then over 10 feet. This will be used just to get water change waste to a drain across the room.

I have one in the marketplace ads

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

A couple questions -

1. It depends on how much water you want to move how quickly. I.e. Some people are changing 100 gallons in an hour, some are changing cup every day.
2. How are you planning to use this pump?i.e is it going to be in place (i.e. in your sump) constantly - or just intermittently.
3. I would make sure whatever pump you get - it should be 'marine safe'. If it were me, I would not be looking for 'cheap' - but rather something thats aquarium and salt-water safe - (see #2)
4. I bought a SICCE pump - if you go to their website - it tells you the head and GPH as well as the fittings to use for each pump.
5. Lastly - if you're wanting a less expensive version - there is often used equipment for sale - that you could use.

OP
OP
HeyJay

HeyJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple questions -

1. It depends on how much water you want to move how quickly. I.e. Some people are changing 100 gallons in an hour, some are changing cup every day.
2. How are you planning to use this pump?i.e is it going to be in place (i.e. in your sump) constantly - or just intermittently.
3. I would make sure whatever pump you get - it should be 'marine safe'. If it were me, I would not be looking for 'cheap' - but rather something thats aquarium and salt-water safe - (see #2)
4. I bought a SICCE pump - if you go to their website - it tells you the head and GPH as well as the fittings to use for each pump.
5. Lastly - if you're wanting a less expensive version - there is often used equipment for sale - that you could use.

Basically, I'll be dumping the old water during water changes to a Brute trash can, 20-30 gallons at a time every two weeks. Just looking for a convenient way to empty that to the drain at the other end of the room.

In this case, cheap is king. The pump won't ever be in the tank or used for any other purpose. Although I might just get the dolly made for Brutes so I can wheel it over. They are rated for 250 pounds.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Basically, I'll be dumping the old water during water changes to a Brute trash can, 20-30 gallons at a time every two weeks. Just looking for a convenient way to empty that to the drain at the other end of the room.

In this case, cheap is king. The pump won't ever be in the tank or used for any other purpose. Although I might just get the dolly made for Brutes so I can wheel it over. They are rated for 250 pounds.
You could consider this (what I do), buy a 'python' use that to siphon off the water into your laundry tub. Then to refill the tank - put your pump (whatever you buy) into the water and pump it back to the tank. I use clear PVC tubing to do this - but it takes about 30 minutes to change 40 gallons - with no lifting. It allows you to clean the substrate, etc and dump the water. Hope this helps

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Jeboa DC as a basement pump, turned down to 40% I think a 8000 series

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use US/EU patent-stealing business-hurting Chinese products (as opposed to legit Chinese stuff who honor other people's intellectual property), so I second the recommendation for Sicce and will add Laguna or Fluval to the list. Mag Drive are super powerful with good utility.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 136 60.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.9%
Back