Looking for a decent (affordable) light for the fuge

rapid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey can i get some recommendations for a great growing light for chaeto and other macros. Please only recommendations that are affordable and by that i mean under 100 dollars?

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people report success with ordinary light bulbs with a grow spectrum. You piece together your own hardware and try to seal it up. Likely less than 20 bucks and your time.

gabrieltackitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Chaetomax is a good light for like $70-100 dollars.

dopey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the tunze light. I'm growing caulerpa.

Can post pics later but the grow has been absolutely insane. Started with a few patches on a rock I placed down there and now just ungodly amounts.

Truly been surprised at how fast it grew. Did not expect that much growth that fast. There is some pics in my build thread showing the first few weeks of growth, I haven't shared any after...it's a monster now

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Amazon "50w" COB UFO style light that keeps a 10" cube worth of chaeto/ulva/calerpa full and growing. It was under $20 a year ago. Zero complaints.

Edit: like this...
Amazon LED

Newbereef46

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a couple of these it's got red and blue all a plant needs only £10 all them big names can jog on not sure about you lot but I ain't got £100 to sit in a cabinet

15912889187052387606507616789005.jpg

iambenfields

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could power Los Angeles for a month with all the algae I grow in my sump and I have the cheapest gnarliest amazon LED bulb. I’m sure I could get spendier on some light to impress other reefers but I can’t imagine why I would.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size?

6500k GE T5s are great at growing algae, but they come in 18" at the smallest. For smaller, clip on light with a CFL (or LED) daylight bulb always grown chaeto for me as fast as I want it to.

IMO, lighting is the easiest thing about growing macro and chaeto... if the tank will grow it well, then any light will do.

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60 watt or 9 watt?

I don't usually see it specified. But if you get a 'grow light' as a specialty bulb at a hardware store they seem to grow algae. Since they are generally led probably in 5-15 watt range. The gist of it is, it does not take much to grow algae. Performance might be lower then a fancy high output aquarium setup, but likely enough to take in nutrients. People use these to grow vegetables and other things so they are adequate. Main problem I see would be the bulkiness of them.

You could also check amazon for a cheap led grow light, would be flat and as long as the spectrum is right would likely be just fine for a fuge. These can be really cheap, but more than a bulb setup.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back