Looking for a GFO Reactor for a All in one tank...

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As title states. I think it’s time for a GFO reactor. I have a Nuvo 40 AIO tank, I’m not interested in getting the IM one, kinda looking into something that’s HOB or I can place next to it.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 little fishies makes one you can hang off the back.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's more that a reactor forces water through (active) vs where a bag, water passing over and around (passive). Also with a reactor, you can control the flow whereas with GFO, slower the better.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s it more efficient to have a GFO reactor? For the tumbling and what not?
For an AIO, a reactor is much more difficult. Not impossible but I’d try a media first and test results.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For an AIO, a reactor is much more difficult. Not impossible but I’d try a media first and test results.
I’m going to place the pump into the chamber next to my media chamber and adjust my ATO for the difference in water height. I’ve seen it been done.

I have a media basket and some media bags in there and I hate it. All it does it create dead spots and gather **** in the chambers

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ended up buying this.

082450A3-F7FE-4BDD-AF1D-00F73E2979B6.png

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just bought the Innovative Marine Minimax Media Reactor for my Nuvo 10 to use w/ GFO. Its only been a week but its been working out great so far

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just bought the Innovative Marine Minimax Media Reactor for my Nuvo 10 to use w/ GFO. Its only been a week but its been working out great so far
Was going to suggest the @Bulk Reef Supply mini reactor. Worked great in my biocube for GFO, and the mj1200 pump is perfectly small for AIO's.

Was going to go with the Mini but I really want to just run carbon and GFO at the same time and call it a day.
Tired of the media bags

Mtb_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As title states. I think it’s time for a GFO reactor. I have a Nuvo 40 AIO tank, I’m not interested in getting the IM one, kinda looking into something that’s HOB or I can place next to it.
Bulk reef supply makes a pretty good reactor. But in my opinion gfo should be avoided in a small tank like that, it just works too well and and having 0 phos can lead to some problems much more difficult to deal with. But to each his own. Good luck!

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulk reef supply makes a pretty good reactor. But in my opinion gfo should be avoided in a small tank like that, it just works too well and and having 0 phos can lead to some problems much more difficult to deal with. But to each his own. Good luck!
The other reason I suggested non-GFO. (didn't state it)..is that it's a bit more forgiving. I have a 40 gallon and just dropped 3 tbsp in a bag at the bottom of the cup and it very gradually reduced phosphate from .1 to .05 then .03 for a couple of weeks, then just replaced. No muss, no fuss, easy peazy nice and easy. But as you said...to each his own. Currently seeing if Phosphate RX is worth the trouble. Yes, I'm anti-reactor if I can do things another way. :)

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why avoid GFO for SPS and why it’s the devil
Because it strips too much out... phosphate and nitrate for that matter are essential for keeping SPS. Unless you have high phosphates there's absolutely no reason to run GFO... and even then there are better methods for removal.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back