Looking for a lens to take photos of reef

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so now my tank is finally accepting acro frags. And tank is looking clean and I think I finallllly crossed the bridge and on a good path. I'm looking for a lens to take some cool shots of fish and maybe lps and acros. I have starphire glass. Not sure if I'm able to take good photos through glass or I have to have top down.

I been decided on the canon macro 100x d2.8 IS for like $1200. But only because I saw someones photos with it. It was legit. I know nothing about photography. So I'm just researching. Maybe someone can school me on what some stuff means.

My girlfriend has a camera. Nothing special. Nothing expensive. It's a canon eos m6. So lens will definitely be more expensive than her camera. I already bought the adapter needed to use the macro lens. Anybody that is familiar with photography stuff especially in reef situation willing to spend a little time helping us out. We would appreciate it.

supernanoguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quality camera stand is always a good idea. I’m not specifically familiar with reef setting photography but I do have a background in production. A soft back light for fill may be a good idea as well. Lens wise, anything 100x macro will be plenty (overkill) imo. There can be issues with expensive lenses not performing well on cheap bodies but maybe you won’t experience that. Not sure your intended use for photos be it recreational or otherwise. Practice and patience is always key to photography. Otherwise enjoy and don’t forget to share those macro shots here!

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well for now to learn. All I got is the eos m6. I'll get a nice lens. If I ever learn and figure it out as my reef grows. I can always buy a better camera.

Ya looking at tri pods but trying to learn how a tripod works for through the front panel glass shots. Won't camera be to far away the way a tripod sits? I read the lens should be super close to the glass

supernanoguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well for now to learn. All I got is the eos m6. I'll get a nice lens. If I ever learn and figure it out as my reef grows. I can always buy a better camera.

Ya looking at tri pods but trying to learn how a tripod works for through the front panel glass shots. Won't camera be to far away the way a tripod sits? I read the lens should be super close to the glass
You need an arm extension for the tripod. That will allow you to move the camera up to the tank and lock it into place. (I’m envisioning an adapter you hang on the edge of your tank for stability or as the tripod itself). Patent pending.

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if you haven’t purchased yet. Buy used. The equipment loses it’s resale value almost immediately.
Do I need to be worried about used if it was dropped or so. I'd love a used canon macro 100x f2.8 IS. New 1200. I'd love to get a used one if it's fine

supernanoguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
180 day warranty.

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh they have it for 700s. Not bad!

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thinking about the actual shots. Would it not be better to have the manual focus option? That lens is auto focus. I could see that being an issue with coral movement from flow.
Heck if I know. Lol. I already bought the adapter for her m6 camera like 8 months ago sitting here in box because I was planning on buying this lens but no idea why lol it's just what I chose from reading on here lolol

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think any of those lenses would be awesome. But spend the money once. I’d look for a lens with optional manual focus.
Sure it doesn't have that option? Do they have this lens in manual version. Let me do some dang research. Such a darn noobie

Focus Adjustment
Inner focusing system with USM. Full-time manual focus available.

supernanoguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I’m just getting off the descriptor they have for focus type. Maybe it does have a manual option. I’m not too familiar with photography lenses. o_O

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I’m just getting off the descriptor they have for focus type. Maybe it does have a manual option. I’m not too familiar with photography lenses. o_O
I see MF ;)
All good I don't even know what focus is. Lol or ISO or any of this. Literally I'll have to learn it all before I even snap a pic lol

Canon-EF-100mm-f-2.8-L-IS-USM-Macro-Lens-1.jpg

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just putting it out there. Other manufactures make very good lenses too. I shoot primarily Canon equipment but in a cash pinch I would consider other reputable brands. Sigma and Tamron are two other brands I do own and use.

This is a new release, the previous version can be had at a bargain price of $570.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/806377-REG

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/330643-USA

Last edited:

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats in the new lens, a macro lense is indeed a great addition for corals pictures. It doubles as a great lense for portraits as well and for fish shots in a wide tank, you'll have to shoot a but farther from the glass though.
Checkout the articles in the stickies on this forum and they'll help a lot in understanding the basics as well as getting started with the new lense. I've been shooting tank pics for more than 20 years and macro lense had a steep learning curve for me in focusing and compositions.
Make sure to post pics you take when u get the lense, so you get feedback on how to improve.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 92 52.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.7%
Back