Looking for a little advice/suggestions/criticism - Nano Reef

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been keeping my current tank for over 2.5 years. I’ve had some major ups and downs for sure, and currently rebooting this little nano. If you’re interested below is my most up-to-date thread. You can see where it has come from to a current look. Well below is a current look but you get the idea.

6C8E95E1-3130-46AA-AEDF-EB41E42FF90C.jpeg

Anyway I’m not sure this is the right forum or not. If not, mods will you please move. Lately I feel my tank is missing something. I’m wanting this little tank to be nice and full eventually and I understand it will take time. So trust me I’m not looking for a quick fix. What I am looking for is a coral suggestion for the upper portion of my rockwork. The gorgs just don’t look right there and they have been moved behind the candy cane coral colony. I had a Duncan up there but it has closed up and decided not to open again for almost two weeks now. So I have no idea what’s going on with it.

I’m looking for something with “height” to fill in some space at the top of the tank. My eyes tell me birdsnest, but my brain says “no man you don’t wanna deal with that”. See I don’t want to chase numbers, or dose. Ideally I would prefer just to do water changes and let it be. I also feel like my tank wouldn’t have enough flow for those SPS as I’m not running a powerhead, just an upgraded pump and spinstream nozzle.

I also want to stay away from anemones. Something about them give me anxiety. Afraid they will walk and sting everything.

I love euphyllia but have been burned before. Loosing all my torches to BJD. Something says a nice torch colony up top might look great but what could I put on the sides that wouldn’t get stung. I just feel like moving the two hammers up top and filling out below them. Favias, zoas, something else?

Argh..... the trials and tribulations of a nano tank.

So what say you? What would you do and why? Lay it out and give me some ideas/encouragement. I love this hobby but just stuck with this moment in time with my tank.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along I am asking a similar question about the top rocks of my nano. I have some sps and am considering adding more but dread dosing a bit. If Japanese pink nepthea wasn’t so expensive I might do that, maybe with some neon green sinularia as well.

I have a Goni that I got from a local reefer but I can’t comment yet on how easy it is long term

Last edited:

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Nanos I'm thinking about getting one for my son's room maybe one big anemone in the pile of skunk clowns

Rilo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another euphylia of the same species that you have in the tank so that they can grow together and not sting each other but a different color. I think it'd look cool once all three grow out.

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along I am asking a similar question about the top rocks of my nano. I have some sps and am considering adding more but dread dosing a bit. If Japanese pink nepthea wasn’t so expensive I might do that, maybe with some neon green sinularia as well.

I have a Goni that I got from a local reefer but I can’t comment yet on how easy it is long term

How many sticks are you keeping? Are you seeing growth and happiness out of them without dosing? What salt are you using?

Another euphylia of the same species that you have in the tank so that they can grow together and not sting each other but a different color. I think it'd look cool once all three grow out.

It's hard to see but there are three different hammers in that pile. A purple tip, blue, and yellow hammer. However I do like the idea of adding more hammers.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say give birdsnest a try. My first SW tank is now just 9 months old and I started off with mostly softies and some hammers. I added a small birdsnest about a month ago and it's doing fine and exhibiting some new growth. I've made no changes to my maintenance routine, and to be honest, don't even monitor it that closely.

A couple weeks later I added a small stylophora and it's doing well too. They don't really seem to be too picky.
IMG_20190901_150346622.jpg

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say give birdsnest a try. My first SW tank is now just 9 months old and I started off with mostly softies and some hammers. I added a small birdsnest about a month ago and it's doing fine and exhibiting some new growth. I've made no changes to my maintenance routine, and to be honest, don't even monitor it that closely.

A couple weeks later I added a small stylophora and it's doing well too. They don't really seem to be too picky.
IMG_20190901_150346622.jpg

Posts like these make me want to give it a try.

Patrick.S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank and I used to have a small toadstool up there. Now I have some sps and euphillia up top.

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Posts like these make me want to give it a try.

A purple pocillopora would look nice. They are thicker and grow faster than some other types. I have no issues with mine and you know how I run my tanks. :)

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many sticks are you keeping? Are you seeing growth and happiness out of them without dosing? What salt are you using?

It's hard to see but there are three different hammers in that pile. A purple tip, blue, and yellow hammer. However I do like the idea of adding more hammers.

I have a green birdsnest since last September/October, a monti setosa that came with the tank and a purple stylo that I got free in June and which was pretty bleached out when I got it. I also have a purple monti cap. I change 4 gallons a week using Red Sea blue bucket and I have an A80 at 70% or so. The birdsnest has grown well and fast, had good color but could be better (some whiter patches lower on the frag. The setosa is a slow grower but has recently picked up speed. The stylo got better at first but suffered when I left for vacation for 3 weeks. The monti cap grows very fast - I would not recommend purple for a monti cap, I wish I had an orange, pink or red one instead for more vibrancy.
I think long term having lots of sps would necessitate dosing. I’m considering adding a montipora digitata and/or a pink stylo or more birdsnest. I’m also considering putting hammers or toadstools and other soft corals on top so I don’t have to dose. I almost want to do Xenia but I’ve been scared off!

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A purple pocillopora would look nice. They are thicker and grow faster than some other types. I have no issues with mine and you know how I run my tanks. :)

Cool. Yes I know and that gives me confidence. Liking the look of the sour apple and birds of paradise birdsnest as well.

I'll probably have to add some sort of powerhead if I go this route.

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. Yes I know and that gives me confidence. Liking the look of the sour apple and birds of paradise birdsnest as well.

I'll probably have to add some sort of powerhead if I go this route.

Any of those would look nice......They definitely like the flow.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking a nice toadstool as well. They really take up some space and would add height. Love the suggestions that u break the ice some some birdsnest too though! Very nice looking tank.

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of those would look nice......They definitely like the flow.

If I go this route I might get a small jeabo powerhead. That is if it doesn't work out, I haven't broke the bank with a powerhead purchase.

I was thinking a nice toadstool as well. They really take up some space and would add height. Love the suggestions that u break the ice some some birdsnest too though! Very nice looking tank.

Thanks!

Rilo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A green one could be nice.

I also had birdsnest in my 40b reef. I never dosed and did water changes once a month if at all. They died when gha took over but thrived before gha.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back