Looking for a little advice

Clownfishgang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve always had issues with Cyanobacteria and not being able to get rid of it and have done chemiclean treatments, I also run uv and change socks every 3 days. My nitrates are at 10 and p04 at 0.05, what are some ways I could get rid of this if it is Cyanobacteria. Any help is very appreciated.

E47C3FD9-07CA-4DE9-82BC-C5069D482176.jpeg

JAC-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say if it is cyano from the picture, but how long has it been an issue for you?
I typically only have any issues when making big changes or on tanks that haven't stabilized and matured yet.

Microbacter7 has been all I've used in the past to fight it. The thought being competing bacteria to out compete it.

I may have just been one of the lucky ones though.

OP
OP
Clownfishgang

Clownfishgang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It
I can't say if it is cyano from the picture, but how long has it been an issue for you?
I typically only have any issues when making big changes or on tanks that haven't stabilized and matured yet.

Microbacter7 has been all I've used in the past to fight it. The thought being competing bacteria to out compete it.

I may have just been one of the lucky ones though.
It comes and goes but never really goes away and I have never used microbacter may have to get a bottle to try out.

OP
OP
Clownfishgang

Clownfishgang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look like only cyano to me, maybe a bit of a dinoflagellate issue, although the picture isn't ideal. If it is dinos, I found the best treatment for that is adding copepods and dosing phyto once or twice a weeks for a while.
I may have to try to pull some out and look under a microscope but it has a reddish color to it, that’s why I thought it was cyano

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have to try to pull some out and look under a microscope but it has a reddish color to it, that’s why I thought it was cyano
You could be right. I've seen dinos take on a rusty color in higher light areas, so it's hard to say. I've also seen cyano in different shades of red, green, orange, and purple. The bubbles are a red flag to me for dinos, but obviously cyano can have those too when it really takes off.

OP
OP
Clownfishgang

Clownfishgang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could be right. I've seen dinos take on a rusty color in higher light areas, so it's hard to say. I've also seen cyano in different shades of red, green, orange, and purple. The bubbles are a red flag to me for dinos, but obviously cyano can have those too when it really takes off.
If it is Dino how should I go about treating it, should I do a black out and I thought Dino only comes around with bottomed out nutrients

OP
OP
Clownfishgang

Clownfishgang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is Dino how should I go about treating it, should I do a black out and I thought Dino only comes around with bottomed out nutrients
I’ve also noticed in the morning when lights come on it’s not as bad and through out the day it gets worse on the sand bed by night fall the sand is usually covered

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve also noticed in the morning when lights come on it’s not as bad and through out the day it gets worse on the sand bed by night fall the sand is usually covered
That's pretty typical for dinos, they usually recede at night and come in full force as the day goes on. Like I said before, the best thing I've experienced for dinos is adding copepods and then dosing phytoplankton for a while. Adds some biodiversity to outcompete as well as introducing pods that may eat it.

OP
OP
Clownfishgang

Clownfishgang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty typical for dinos, they usually recede at night and come in full force as the day goes on. Like I said before, the best thing I've experienced for dinos is adding copepods and then dosing phytoplankton for a while. Adds some biodiversity to outcompete as well as introducing pods that may eat it.
Ok I’ll give it a shot and see if it helps. Thank you

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back