Looking for a new 3d printer

firechild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an ender 3 that has worked near flawlessly for the last 4 years but it's starting to get a few issues and I think it's time to find a replacement so I'm looking for recommendations. Ideally, I'd want auto bed levelling, easy to change nozzles (I always found this a pain on the Ender) and a bed no smaller than the Ender 3 (220x220mm from memory). What's everyone else using and what are the standout pros and cons?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an ender 3 that has worked near flawlessly for the last 4 years but it's starting to get a few issues and I think it's time to find a replacement so I'm looking for recommendations. Ideally, I'd want auto bed levelling, easy to change nozzles (I always found this a pain on the Ender) and a bed no smaller than the Ender 3 (220x220mm from memory). What's everyone else using and what are the standout pros and cons?
@dantimdad and @Projects with Sam do a ton of 3d printing and may be able to provide some recommendations for you.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@dantimdad and @Projects with Sam do a ton of 3d printing and may be able to provide some recommendations for you.
I've been recommending the Ender 5 s1 to people lately because of its bang for the buck. Core XY with many modern features. It doesn't have hot-swap nozzles but not many do; You may need a 3rd part hot-end for that.

If you have the scratch and want more, look into the Bamboo labs printers: https://bambulab.com/en/x1

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my Prusa MK3. I am interested to see how the XL is when it comes out.

OP
OP
firechild

firechild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been recommending the Ender 5 s1 to people lately because of its bang for the buck. Core XY with many modern features. It doesn't have hot-swap nozzles but not many do; You may need a 3rd part hot-end for that.

If you have the scratch and want more, look into the Bamboo labs printers: https://bambulab.com/en/x1
Besides a larger bed, what would the advantages be of the Ender 5 S1 over the Ender 3 S1 Pro or S1 plus? From the limited research I've done, these look like great options.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested to see how the XL is when it comes out.

The single head one is supposed to start shipping in March with the multi-head following a few months later. I'd be surprised if I get mine by the end of the year.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Besides a larger bed, what would the advantages be of the Ender 5 S1 over the Ender 3 S1 Pro or S1 plus? From the limited research I've done, these look like great options.
Core XY printers can be much faster than bed-slingers. Because they don’t move the bed they can achieve faster printing speeds while maintaining high print quality.

OP
OP
firechild

firechild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Core XY printers can be much faster than bed-slingers. Because they don’t move the bed they can achieve faster printing speeds while maintaining high print quality.
Thanks, that's a fair point. As much as we all like a fast print, I think print speed is probably behind a few other factors for me. The Ender 5 S1 is around AU$900, while the Ender 3 S1 Pro is around AU$700 for the same print volume and higher temperatures, meaning more materials. I've only ever used PLA and PLA+ so other options could be interesting.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think my next printer will be core xy. I have had nearly 20 printers because I test them. Oddly I have never been asked to test one of them.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks, that's a fair point. As much as we all like a fast print, I think print speed is probably behind a few other factors for me. The Ender 5 S1 is around AU$900, while the Ender 3 S1 Pro is around AU$700 for the same print volume and higher temperatures, meaning more materials. I've only ever used PLA and PLA+ so other options could be interesting.
Higher print temps have their own problems. The higher you go the more the part shrinks making enclosures necessary for maintaining part fidelity. Not to mention some of the questionable off-gassing.

OP
OP
firechild

firechild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Higher print temps have their own problems. The higher you go the more the part shrinks making enclosures necessary for maintaining part fidelity. Not to mention some of the questionable off-gassing.
Yeah, I've tended to steer clear of ABS for that reason, not so keen on the requirements to print with it. Being able to print nylon or carbon fibre does sound appealing though.
I may just end up going with the Ender 3 S1 plus though, a bigger print volume is probably more useful than being able to print the very occasional carbon fibre object. I've found a number of times in the past, the 220mm bed has been just slightly too small for certain prints, I don't want to print huge things but longer flat objects have seen limitations in the past.
Plenty to think about, I need to weigh up which factors are most important between materials, print speed, size, etc.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I upgraded my Ender 3 Pro to 400x400 bed size to print XR30 shades using the Ender Extender kit and its crazy having so much area. Learning curve and some technical issues with such a huge bed but no other way todo what I want without spending a ton more on a fancier printer.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded my Ender 3 Pro to 400x400 bed size to print XR30 shades using the Ender Extender kit and its crazy having so much area. Learning curve and some technical issues with such a huge bed but no other way todo what I want without spending a ton more on a fancier printer.

I did this with one and then sold it and bought a 3max. I sold it too and wish I hadn’t. The 3 max was one of the most reliable printers I ever owned once I installed a CR touch.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I did this with one and then sold it and bought a 3max. I sold it too and wish I hadn’t. The 3 max was one of the most reliable printers I ever owned once I installed a CR touch.
Are the bed leveling sensors worth it? Well, I know I need it on the 400x400 but cant do it yet because Marlin doesn't support the Drivers on that board (I may swap it for one of my standard ender builds boards'.)
I've had an original CR-10 for several years and its a workhorse. Just got a SKR v1.4 and 2nd Z-axis upgrades for it. wondering if I should put a CR-touch on it while Im at it...

ozzy31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A popular and highly recommended replacement for the Ender 3 is the Creality CR-10. It has an automatic bed leveling system, which makes it easy to level the bed and ensures consistent and accurate prints. The CR-10 also has a larger build volume than the Ender 3, with a bed size of 300x300mm. Additionally, the CR-10's nozzle is easy to change, which is a feature that many users appreciate.
Another great option is the Prusa i3 MK3S, it is a bit more expensive but offers a lot of features that are worth the extra cost. It has a self-leveling bed, filament run-out sensor, and a power loss recovery feature that allows the printer to resume printing after a power interruption. Also, it has a large build volume of 250x210x200mm.
Other options to consider include the Anycubic Mega-S, Ender 5 Pro, and the LulzBot Mini 2. Each of these printers has its own set of pros and cons, so it's important to do your research and compare them to find the one that best fits your needs and budget.

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for Prusa. I have an MK2 that has been running for years without issues.

OP
OP
firechild

firechild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for Prusa. I have an MK2 that has been running for years without issues.
From my research the Prusa has fallen behind a number of other printers yet retains it's premium price. A good quality printer no doubt, but what it is competing against has come a long way while Prusa has largely sat on what was once the mark that all others were compared with.

Back