Looking for a place to stop the pain. lol

vannstockwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I am Vann. I really tried to do it right with no live rock and going slow, but I am pretty sure I got some blue hippo tangs with ich and what a ride since then. Being new I didn't know what ich was and in trying to figure it out I have lost more than I want to admit to. Now here I am with my one fish left in a QT tank and a fallow DT tank with three corals, five hermits, and four snails. I have decided that I want to make sure everything is dead to move forward and QT from here on out. Thus here I am. So going fallow for 90 days should kill all fish problems, but I did not quarantine the corals, crabs, or snails prior to putting them in the tank. Last time I was at the LFS I noticed worms in one of the tanks so I am concerned about what was on my corals at least. I can't find any proof that corals and their pests being left fallow will kill what is there. I am really thinking of breaking it all down and washing it in tap water to kill everything and QTing the corals and starting all over. I will gladly move this to the correct thread, but this is why I am here. I have read many good articles from here, but I have not found this one yet.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C5A6D7B1-142E-48B0-B3E8-5C4D71ACCE35.gif

OP
OP
vannstockwell

vannstockwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wanting to kill anything that might have gotten in my tank and I am really trying to figure out if going fallow kills everything or if I need to break down the tank to make sure there are no worms or anything else that coral or inverts might bring in. Since I am sitting empty for 90 days I can either rebuild or sit fallow. Seems like about the same timeline.

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome and I haven’t seen anyone else ask but are you certain it was ich? Tangs are ich magnets though.
I made the mistake of treating mine for ich when I now realize that it was velvet and not ich, especially after 99% of the fish died within 3-5days. Not saying yours ain’t ich but unless you’re positive and/or you have pics you can post there are many on here that could tell you for sure

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wanting to kill anything that might have gotten in my tank and I am really trying to figure out if going fallow kills everything or if I need to break down the tank to make sure there are no worms or anything else that coral or inverts might bring in. Since I am sitting empty for 90 days I can either rebuild or sit fallow. Seems like about the same timeline.
Go fallow and QT corals and fish in the future. Worms aren’t really as bad as you think they are. Most are good guys.

Niteowl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. I think we all have made mistakes in this hobby from time to time. The silver lining is that it seems it could be a easy reboot for you with that small amount of fish and coral. If you decide to go that route, read up here on R2R. There is a ton of great info.

OP
OP
vannstockwell

vannstockwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The local lfs also has a marine biologist associated with it. I thought it was Brook, but he scraped the fish and tested and said it was ich. I brought them two dead ones to look at. I have seen white spots on some, bubbles like gel on others, and a fading of color too like a haze on top of the fish. One even looked like its skin was coming off. It was a hard crash. I really had no idea. I really don't want to do that to fish again. If my descriptions are not that good I am trying to learn as much as I can to do better next time.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back