Looking for a seasoned reefer near Lafayette, LA with space in their tank and willing to help a fellow reefer move cross country!

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I'm 98% going to be making a transition from California to Louisiana, and that's quite a large move especially with corals.

I've got a few thousand $$ in live stock, and I'd like to keep loss down to as minimal as possible.

I have a few months to execute this, and I'm thinking shipping frags/colonies and having you baby sit them until I can get situated and a system up and running.

I'd be willing to throw in 5-10 frags including some nice pieces like a Walt Disney and Pinky the Bear and some other "designer" SPS.

Obviously we'd need to have some extensive connection and communication back and forth as this is lots of $$$ in live stock :).

I'd also be open to a small cash payment on top of the frags depending on your system and hospitality towards my corals. Since it would be 6-8 months of babysitting I wouldn't necessarily hold you responsible for deaths, but would definitely like to minimize them and will donate some AFR Powder for dosing as well and can send Food etc.

I'll be making a trip out there at the end of this month and would love to meet then so we can arrange everything.

My ideal plan is my mother-in-law letting me set something up in her garage while I'm out there at the end of the month, possibly letting me skip the whole babysitting, but I imagine if someone is in close enough proximity they might not mind getting some nice frags?

Send me a PM!

Thanks!

OP
OP
terraincognita

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer the specific question, but I can maybe bump the thread for you to see if we can get you some help
Appreciate it.

My back up plan is just to keep my current place I'm moving from an extra month, so I can make a final trip with all my precious live stock.

Not sure if it's smarter for me to drive it though, or ship it, fly out, and receive it......

Was contemplating something "creative" like a 3Ft tank in the back of the car half filled with a power head and heater and a A/C current adapter from the car port.... That might be crazy though, Since i'd either have to take the full 24 hours awake, or make a stop and hope for temperatures to be reef acceptable in my car overnight, I don't imagine the 7-8 hours of no flow would cause die off per se, but the temp swing might.... So I might have to just brace the 24 hour trip, and then the hour or so of getting everything in the new tank until I can sleep and deal with it the next day.

The trials and tribulations.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you moving your tank or buying new? I like the option of keeping the place you have for a month or 2.
You can fly with as many corals as you can cram into a carry on.
You would need to set up tank and keep dialed for incoming corals at new place. That can easily be accomplished in smaller tank with rock and media from old system.
Could even ship the corals you trust with shipping.
Lots of options.

OP
OP
terraincognita

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you moving your tank or buying new? I like the option of keeping the place you have for a month or 2.
You can fly with as many corals as you can cram into a carry on.
You would need to set up tank and keep dialed for incoming corals at new place. That can easily be accomplished in smaller tank with rock and media from old system.
Could even ship the corals you trust with shipping.
Lots of options.
Does TSA let you travel with livestock?

I just assumed it would be too much of a hassle, I know they'd open my carry on after going through x-rays....

Also not sure if those machines or the rays they emmit would have effect on sensitive SPS?

I know radiation can kill certain bacteria and germs on contact, not sure if this has any effect on a reef I've never research into it at all.

I imagine probably "none" but I ended my "assumptions" in reefing like a decade ago.

I'll be getting a new Frag tank set up in my new location pretty instantly, I'll dump in as much Live rock and biome as I can and let it all settle as long as I can before I transfer. I anticipate I can buy myself about 3 weeks I time it all and do it right.

Then I'll be setting up a newer and bigger display system that I'll take my time on, but the Frag tank will be about 2-3 times the size of my current DT, so I'm not concerned about how long everything stays in there lol.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does TSA let you travel with livestock?

I just assumed it would be too much of a hassle, I know they'd open my carry on after going through x-rays....

Also not sure if those machines or the rays they emmit would have effect on sensitive SPS?

I know radiation can kill certain bacteria and germs on contact, not sure if this has any effect on a reef I've never research into it at all.

I imagine probably "none" but I ended my "assumptions" in reefing like a decade ago.

I'll be getting a new Frag tank set up in my new location pretty instantly, I'll dump in as much Live rock and biome as I can and let it all settle as long as I can before I transfer. I anticipate I can buy myself about 3 weeks I time it all and do it right.

Then I'll be setting up a newer and bigger display system that I'll take my time on, but the Frag tank will be about 2-3 times the size of my current DT, so I'm not concerned about how long everything stays in there lol.
Interesting. I never thought of radiation. I did recently fly with a few pieces. All tsa did was take out of carry on, look at bag, talked to me about reefing for a bit and let me through.
Def something to look into.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 70 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back