• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Looking for a variety of macro algae

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to buy a lot of different types of macros to add to my collection in a 90g tank I started in January. I already have and thus not looking for:
-Red Ogo
-Red/pink galaxaura
-Blue scroll algae
-Red titanophora
-Blue hypnea
-Red king thorn
-Botryocladia Occidentalis (red grape)
-Bryothamnion

I'm not really looking for greens at the moment other than maybe some different codium algaes. So if you have anything that I don't lmk! Here is a list of some specific algae I'm very interested in that I've seen on various websites that are either unavailable or from overseas and doesn't ship to the US.

From Algae barn/Live Aquaria - Halymenia dilatata (Dragon's tongue), the one that looks more like a orange blue hypnea bush and not the flat, leafy halymenia (dragons breathe)

From Gulf Coast Ecosystems - Portieria

From Addictive Reef Keeping - Chondria coerulescens

From LA Reefs - Blue ochtodes - Codium lucasii -"Martian rose" algae (looks like a red mermaids fan) -Red palm macro -"Violet Flames" macro - and any of the red macros that resemble ulva

From Reef Cleaners out of season section - Acanthophora spicifera (Spiny Algae) - Eucheuma - Flamingo Feather Algae - Fire Fern - Green Agardhiella - Laurencia - Liagora - Padina Scroll algae - Titanophora encrustans

From Live Algae UK - Cryptonemia Crenulata - Gracilaria Curtissae - Gracilaria Vermiculophylla - Halymenia Maculata - Gracilaria Mammillaris - Rhodopeltis sp. - Nemastoma Sp - Chondria Sp - Solieria spp.

I appreciate and applaud you if you read through all of that lol. But yeah, if you have anything I don't have yet please message me and help me complete my macro menagerie! Thanks!

DarfrogDojo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI - I got my dragon tongue from "Macro-Algae" here on Ebay. Amazing fluorescence. They have a lot of good red algae. Small frags, but for much cheaper than other places.

Red_Dragon_Tongue_Algae.jpeg

Red_Dragon_Tongue_Algae_2.jpg

Red_Dragon_Tongue_Algae-3.jpg

Red_Dragon_Tongue_Algae-4.jpg

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to go with a variety of decorative algae in display similar to what you have done as well as the common macro in sump (green lettuce, red ogo, chaeto) but I'm wondering how soon can I add the algae? I'm in the brown diatom phase as I just recently cycled and have very low nitrates as my bio load is currently very small. I do have a kessil H80 for sump lighting.

OP
OP
reddevilant

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! So you're actually at a great spot right now. I made the mistake of adding the macros a little too early so I've had to balance fighting the brown diatoms and keeping up nutrients for the macros. I highly recommend Brightwell's Micorbacter7 as that has started to kill off the diatoms after a week or two. I'd say once they start going away you could add the macros and they should out compete any remaining diatoms. You could then even start dosing nitrates if you need. I'd also say flow is really important too. Generally for corals you want 20x turnover and I've noticed its great for the macros too. Before I hit the 20x the macros were just living but not really growing significantly. Also, if it's your first time with macros I'd suggest going with reds first, they're much more forgiving when it comes to going sexual and you won't have to trim them as often.

OP
OP
reddevilant

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question for those keeping this algae. Do you feed anything to tank for growth?
Depends on your tank. If you’re referring to dosing, every now and then I’ll add a bit of trace elements. Especially if I’m too busy to do water changes weekly. But other than that not really, I have enough livestock and feed often enough that nitrates and phosphates are always at a good range to keep the macros fed and the nuisance stuff at bay for the most part.

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have my seahorse tanks loaded with grape Caulerpa, don’t have to feed anything. But I want to do different colors in the tank I just set up. So I was wondering if you all use anything. Thanks for the reply

Stephers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have my seahorse tanks loaded with grape Caulerpa, don’t have to feed anything. But I want to do different colors in the tank I just set up. So I was wondering if you all use anything. Thanks for the reply
I have very minimal bioload in my tank (mantis tank) so I have to dose phos and nitrate frequently. Other than that, I daily dose the suggested chaetogro amount. Everything's loving it!

OP
OP
reddevilant

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have very minimal bioload in my tank (mantis tank) so I have to dose phos and nitrate frequently. Other than that, I daily dose the suggested chaetogro amount. Everything's loving it!
Exactly, if you have a decent bioload you likely won't have to dose anything. If the seahorses don't produce enough "fertilizer" lol then you may have to. Or if you have corals or anything else similar that might use up any trace elements.

I might actually have something that you and your seahorses may enjoy. If you look at one of my recent posts on my build thread I have a red macro called String of Pearls (not sure the exact species but probably a type of botryocladia). It grows in long branches of these "pearls" that I think would make great places for the seahorses to latch onto. I'm actually getting ready to sell some because I have so much and it's too beautiful to trim and just throw away.

Stephers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly, if you have a decent bioload you likely won't have to dose anything. If the seahorses don't produce enough "fertilizer" lol then you may have to. Or if you have corals or anything else similar that might use up any trace elements.

I might actually have something that you and your seahorses may enjoy. If you look at one of my recent posts on my build thread I have a red macro called String of Pearls (not sure the exact species but probably a type of botryocladia). It grows in long branches of these "pearls" that I think would make great places for the seahorses to latch onto. I'm actually getting ready to sell some because I have so much and it's too beautiful to trim and just throw away.
Like in your profile picture? I REALLY want some of that! Let me know when you're ready to sell!!

Back