• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Looking for a yellow tang that's not a million dollars

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason, getting a yellow tang is nearly impossible now. Every retailers is selling yellow tangs currently with a $250 price tag. I remember not even a year ago my LFS was selling them for $40 each. Like what the heck happened?! We go from a $40 fish to $250 in less then a year?? It makes no sense to me. They are one of my favorite fish and only want one for my tank. I seriously am so done with these prices, I can't be the only one that thinks this is ridiculous.

Does anyone know where I can get a yellow tang for under $100? Or If anyone on here is selling a yellow tang, please PM me.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason, getting a yellow tang is nearly impossible now. Every retailers is selling yellow tangs currently with a $250 price tag. I remember not even a year ago my LFS was selling them for $40 each. Like what the heck happened?! We go from a $40 fish to $250 in less then a year?? It makes no sense to me. They are one of my favorite fish and only want one for my tank. I seriously am so done with these prices, I can't be the only one that thinks this is ridiculous.

Does anyone know where I can get a yellow tang for under $100? Or If anyone on here is selling a yellow tang, please PM me.
The reason they’re so expensive is that Hawaii put a ban on collecting them. So the only ones available are captive bred (which is fairly new for this species).

Edit: I think Biota has babies available for $100 pretty regularly.

OP
OP
reefz

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason they’re so expensive is that Hawaii put a ban on collecting them. So the only ones available are captive bred (which is fairly new for this species).

Edit: I think Biota has babies available for $100 pretty regularly.
I checked they are selling for $150 for a 1.25" baby. And i'm aware of the hawaiian ban, but am sure they come from other parts of the world. Getting a tang that small is risky. How long would it take for it to grow?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They really don’t come from any other parts of the world (they obviously live places other than Hawaii, but they’re not being collected and/or imported). A 1.25” juvenile would probably get to 3-4” in a year, 4-6” in two years, if it was healthy and conditions were good. At that price you could get a purple tang (for sure saw them on sale here in the marketplace the other day for $99).

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never seen one under $200, so I don’t know why to tell you.

Maybe look at your local Craigslist? Type in “saltwater fish” and see what it comes up to. Usually people are selling their whole tank, but you could ask how much for just the tang.

OP
OP
reefz

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never seen one under $200, so I don’t know why to tell you.

Maybe look at your local Craigslist? Type in “saltwater fish” and see what it comes up to. Usually people are selling their whole tank, but you could ask how much for just the tang.
Actually thats exactly what Im doing right now! Hah! Thanks for helping me out

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Actually thats exactly what Im doing right now! Hah! Thanks for helping me out
I just got a baby for $150, captive bread. If they are captive bread, it’s way less risky because they’ve always been in a tank. I’ve never heard of a yellow tang from anywhere except Hawaii.apparently they can be found in other parts of the pacific though.

OP
OP
reefz

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a baby for $150, captive bread. If they are captive bread, it’s way less risky because they’ve always been in a tank. I’ve never heard of a yellow tang from anywhere except Hawaii.apparently they can be found in other parts of the pacific though.
Do you have any pics of the baby?

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d do $150 for a 2-1/2” captive bread yellow tang.

I agree though, I remember when they were super cheap. Has there been any indication if HI will lift the ban?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see nice wild adults on Facebook sometimes for a fair price. Like 100-150. People do tank tear downs and such.

OP
OP
reefz

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d do $150 for a 2-1/2” captive bread yellow tang.

I agree though, I remember when they were super cheap. Has there been any indication if HI will lift the ban?
They say the ban is indefinite. I think they will eventually will lift it, if a new governor comes into office. The current governor banned multiple things, like how you can't rent out your house or apartment on Vrbo. This is a huge problam over there right now since tourists don't have a place to stay, and locals can't make an income. I think when a new governor comes in, he might lift all the bans.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that true Yellow tangs have been unintentionally introduced off the coast of Florida (though I do not believe they have become invasive). Does anyone have more information on this/if they are collected.
https://www.reef.org/news/enews/mak...non-native-yellow-tang-removed-reef-key-largo

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that true Yellow tangs have been unintentionally introduced off the coast of Florida (though I do not believe they have become invasive). Does anyone have more information on this/if they are collected.
https://www.reef.org/news/enews/mak...non-native-yellow-tang-removed-reef-key-largo
Florida in general is just plagued with exotic non-species from the pet trade and from research facilities that were left unsecured during hurricanes (had happened multiple times). All kinds of marine and terrestrial species. Most of the species, and there are a lot, haven’t individually disrupted the natural balance of the ecosystem, but combined they’ve had a devastating effect. This is on top of the individual species that have caused major issue (pythons, lion fish, caulerpa, various mussels/clams, goldfish, etc.). I don’t doubt that there is a population of yellow tangs in Florida.

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0