Looking for advice on lyretail anthias

Aluco

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a pair of small lyretail anthias today and successfully added them to a 10g qt. I was aware of the feeding needs and am prepared to accommodate. I am a bit worried because they need prestine water quality from what I've read and with the extra feeding in a small tank with poor filtration I was hoping for any advice for qt and beyond. They already accept frozen brine which is good.. Will I just need to do like 50% wc every other day?

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a pair of small lyretail anthias today and successfully added them to a 10g qt. I was aware of the feeding needs and am prepared to accommodate. I am a bit worried because they need prestine water quality from what I've read and with the extra feeding in a small tank with poor filtration I was hoping for any advice for qt and beyond. They already accept frozen brine which is good.. Will I just need to do like 50% wc every other day?
Good sign they are eating already! They come with uronema very commonly so make sure you are treating for it in your QT along with everything else. If they are a decent weight I wouldnt worry about feeding more then twice a day in qt, of course offer more once they get in the display but for a few weeks in qt they should be fine with minimal food. The more water changes the better as always.

OP
OP
A

Aluco

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ue
Good sign they are eating already! They come with uronema very commonly so make sure you are treating for it in your QT along with everything else. If they are a decent weight I wouldnt worry about feeding more then twice a day in qt, of course offer more once they get in the display but for a few weeks in qt they should be fine with minimal food. The more water changes the better as always.
Yea I wouldn't have brought them home if they weren't eating:) so, looking up that disease I may just dose metroplex along with copper power. Is that safe to do so?

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
A

Aluco

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started them on copper today, I did see one anthias kind of flash against pvc. Is that a symptom of uronema as well? I have metroplex arriving tomorrow.
Flashing could be a symptom of anything irritating the fish including copper or it just had an itch, look for consistency. Heres another great thread on that, love humblefish recommend searching around there for any QT related stuff. https://humble.fish/community/index.php?threads/flashing.2842/

OP
OP
A

Aluco

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kk I'll keep watching. I've only seen him do it once but haven't been watching all day obviously. I was gonna wait for copper until tomorrow because i ordered copper power thats coming tomorrow. After I saw that tho I added cupremine just to be safe. Fed them 3 times today they eat and seem ok otherwise so hopefully not a big deal. Thanks

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kk I'll keep watching. I've only seen him do it once but haven't been watching all day obviously. I was gonna wait for copper until tomorrow because i ordered copper power thats coming tomorrow. After I saw that tho I added cupremine just to be safe. Fed them 3 times today they eat and seem ok otherwise so hopefully not a big deal. Thanks
Never used cupremine before, not sure if you’re planning on it but i wouldn't mix it with copper power. Goodluck anthias are my favorite fish hoping the best for yours.

OP
OP
A

Aluco

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never used cupremine before, not sure if you’re planning on it but i wouldn't mix it with copper power. Goodluck anthias are my favorite fish hoping the best for yours.
I'm actually finishing up cupremine treatment soon in another qt so I'm pretty used to it, but yes I won't mix them. They eat so well I'm pretty optimistic but the first few days in qt are stressful for me. They are growing on me real fast and would be so distressed if they don't make it. Here I think I have a blurry picture I can share (I removed rock before copper went in)

20220816_100846.jpg 20220816_100852.jpg

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually finishing up cupremine treatment soon in another qt so I'm pretty used to it, but yes I won't mix them. They eat so well I'm pretty optimistic but the first few days in qt are stressful for me. They are growing on me real fast and would be so distressed if they don't make it. Here I think I have a blurry picture I can share (I removed rock before copper went in)

20220816_100846.jpg 20220816_100852.jpg
Sounds like you’re doing a great job, guarantee you’ve done more for your fish then 90% of people already lol. Super cute babies, I ended up with 2 females just like those and the one turned male within a few months.

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One is a bit bigger than the other I'm assuming that would become the male?
Could be! Think its totally up to them lol, the two I have are buddies they will swim at each other but never actual biting not worried about agression between them. I added a sunburst at one point and it was a different story though, male killed it within hours I will never make the mistake of adding a new fish at night again..

OP
OP
A

Aluco

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be! Think its totally up to them lol, the two I have are buddies they will swim at each other but never actual biting not worried about agression between them. I added a sunburst at one point and it was a different story though, male killed it within hours I will never make the mistake of adding a new fish at night again..
Yea it was kind of funny I put the royal gramma in the qt about 1.5 hrs before the anthias and the first anthia went right to the corner of the tank where the royal gramma was he looked like he was just trying to hang out but the gramma wasn't too pleased pretty sure he was holding its mouth open not biting but like threatening to bite. The anthias didn't seem bothered tho. They all seem to get along quite well now tho

OP
OP
A

Aluco

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper is at full strength and I just did my first 50% water change they seem to be doing well. I like how much they eat hardly seeing any food going uneaten

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are not already doing so when you feed observe and take note of what they strike and consume. Also feed 1 thing at a time so you know for sure what they are striking at. I recently purchased 4 pink square anthias from Biota and started doing this so I know what they like, what they don't like, and proper size dry food. It has helped me tremendously.

Lyretails, Sea Goldie, are very pretty fish especially when the harem forms. Keep up the amazing work that you are doing. You rock!

OP
OP
A

Aluco

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are not already doing so when you feed observe and take note of what they strike and consume. Also feed 1 thing at a time so you know for sure what they are striking at. I recently purchased 4 pink square anthias from Biota and started doing this so I know what they like, what they don't like, and proper size dry food. It has helped me tremendously.

Lyretails, Sea Goldie, are very pretty fish especially when the harem forms. Keep up the amazing work that you are doing. You rock!
Hey thanks. Yea so far they really go nuts for the brine but they also ate the fish frenzy ok. I haven't tried any other foods yet because worried if they don't like them it will just rot away in the water

OP
OP
A

Aluco

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I'm approaching 1 week in copper tomorrow and everything is basically on cruise control. Today I picked up a flameback angel and placed it in another small qt on its own. I wanted to ask if you think he will end up bullying the anthias? At the lfs he had been chasing around some chromis but that was a small tank with a bunch of fish and just pretty stressful looking situation in general. Ty

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I'm approaching 1 week in copper tomorrow and everything is basically on cruise control. Today I picked up a flameback angel and placed it in another small qt on its own. I wanted to ask if you think he will end up bullying the anthias? At the lfs he had been chasing around some chromis but that was a small tank with a bunch of fish and just pretty stressful looking situation in general. Ty
Wouldn't put them in QT together but as long as your display is a decent size think you will be fine, add the anthias first if you're worried about them establishing. Is the flameback full size?

OP
OP
A

Aluco

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't put them in QT together but as long as your display is a decent size think you will be fine, add the anthias first if you're worried about them establishing. Is the flameback full size?
Flameback is prolly 1.5 inches. They are separate right now and the anthias will be added to dt a minimum of 1 week before flameback as they started qt earlier. One site I read these orange lyretail anthias are a bit more territorial than other types so hopefully they wouldn't put up with being bullied..

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flameback is prolly 1.5 inches. They are separate right now and the anthias will be added to dt a minimum of 1 week before flameback as they started qt earlier. One site I read these orange lyretail anthias are a bit more territorial than other types so hopefully they wouldn't put up with being bullied..
Can definitely speak to lyretails being more feisty, think they will be able to hold their own.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 55.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 27 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back