Looking for advice on my 5 month old 13.5 Evo. (warning LOTs of information)

OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Ya I am going to have to get creative if I get a refugium for this tank.

He is definitely taking his time around the tank. I also think I caught him sleeping under a rock when I woke up. The blenny and basslet seem to ignore him. Except the Basslet has stopped and stared at him for a bit and then moved on.

I will keep training him every day to maybe take some frozen food. I smash it up into fine pieces so they are bite size for him. *Fingers crossed*

Fritz

Sharkbait19

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
@Sharkbait19

It didn't work... =(

I feel like a murderer.

I'm kind of mad that the guy at the store that said the ruby dragonette he had eats frozen food. I should have known better. So... maybe don't try this guy out unless you have a large source of pods.
I’m so sorry to hear about your loss. Don’t beat yourself up over it, though. Oftentimes, we take risks and conduct experiment in our reefs, and that does unfortunately result in occasional deaths. I’ve been given advice in the past at various local fish stores that in hindsight, I wish I hadn’t listened to. As far as trying one out for myself, I probably won’t, even a captive bred one. My tank has such a large pod population, but there’s only so much room and surface area in a 13.5 gallon tank for the population to remain stable.

OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I thought a nano tank would be beginner friendly. I'm finding out they are harder to keep consistent than a larger tank.

The appeal of a tiny reef tank on my desk was huge but... I dunno. Maybe in the future I will go big.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Sharkbait19

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I thought a nano tank would be beginner friendly. I'm finding out they are harder to keep consistent than a larger tank.

The appeal of a tiny reef tank on my desk was huge but... I dunno. Maybe in the future I will go big.
After a year in it should calm down, I really don’t have to do much for everything to be okay and stable in my tank at this point…but yeah I agree bigger sounds so much easier.

OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I decided to upgrade my light. The other light I had was not very good in the color department or the PAR department. (Fluval Nano Marine)

I went for the Hydra 32 HD. None of the LED's are over 50%. Colors look dope!

20211029_180503.jpg

20211029_180509.jpg

I have an algae issue at the moment. Should be fixed soon though...

Hope I didn't go TOO big. The light is just over 10" above the tank which is the recommended height.

OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Is this an okay spot for a hard tubed feather duster? Aka a coco worm?

I have the feathery part perched on top of a small rock.

I have always wanted a feather duster like critter. I had a duster cluster a while ago but didn't know a 6 line wrasse would potentially nip at it. Well it died a couple days later. Now my 6 line is not in the tank anymore so I saw this at the store and went for it. I have phytoplankton to feed it etc...

Attachments

• 20211111_175006.jpg
    20211111_175006.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20211111_181934.jpg
    20211111_181934.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 7
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
By the way. Just as an update to the intake media basket that I am using. Since I am using it in the middle slot of the Evo 13.5 I made a big error. That small hole on the back wall can't be plugged up or it messes with the water flow. My tank water level was always 3 inches higher than the filtration areas water level...

It dawned on me that the plastic panel of the media basket was blocking that hole. So I grabbed a saw and cut it open. it still works for what I need it to do but I thought those who might be interested in using it in that slow probably don't want to do what I am doing. It is supposed to go into slot 1 anyways.

My nitrates are 0 though...? Eh? So maybe getting rid of the foam block has stopped my excess nutrient?

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
DannoOMG

DannoOMG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Got some chaeto at a store. Got some pods and dumped it in the chaeto. Trying this light that had not terrible reviews on bulk reef supply. Hooked it up to a timer I got at lowes....

20211121_191628.jpg

Hope it works! The light is supposed to come on a minute after the main lights go off. I have it set to go off at 6 AM.

Have you noticed any changes in the color of your coral based on how you feed your tank?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 69 40.4%
  • NO

Votes: 92 53.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 10 5.8%

Aquarium Specialty