Looking for advice

Nightwork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I wanted to start by saying that I came to the Frag workshop and had a wonderful time. I was really impressed with how friendly everyone was and it made me realize I have so much more to learn about this hobby. It came at a really great time too because I was feeling very bad about my aquarium in general. We had contractors working on our kitchen and they unplugged the tank, killing half my tank. I felt really bad about it because I kept thinking of the things I could have done different to avoid it. So the frag workshop got me feeling excited about my aquarium again.

The contractors are giving me $250 as an apology for killing half my tank. I didn't have much in the tank to start with. I lost my blue Tuxedo Urchin and my Coral Beauty. I would like to try and improve my tank and had a few ideas of how to use the money. But I was hoping for some advice. My current tank specs are at the bottoms.

I also just sent out a some water for a ICP test. Should hear back on that soon.

I had a few ideas
1. A new Blue Tuxido Urchin
2. Getting a Clean up crew package
3. Getting Cheato to put in my sump. (I tried this before and it got sucked into the skimmer, so I will need some adjustments)
4. A charcoal reactor

But I am open to any other advice on what I should look at upgrading first.

Here is my current tank
2 Percula Clownfish, some red digi frags, misc zoa frags.
70gallon Display, with 55g tank converted to a sump.
Apex Controller, Protein Skimmer, Heater
Vortech MP40,
Two Rapid Light LEDs for display and a PAR38 Refugium Light
ATO using a bucket and a float valve

loui

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember correctly high lithium can come from your salt mix I believe Instant Ocean. I use IO and never had a problem with it, so myself would not be concerned. As far as advice goes it depends what you want to do with the tank. Honestly unless you really like urchins I would stay away from them they will bull dozer over everything and move things around. I would not be concerned about water parameters until your system matures some (you did not mention how old the tank is) your equipment looks good, but I would suggest different lighting you can use the lights you have for supplemental lighting. The kind of lighting depends on your budget. I use photon V2 from reefbreeders and love them.

Can you take a picture of the tank?

This is how I have my lights on my 125 I have the photon in the middle with t5 to supplement. You can use your rapid LEDS the same way

IMG_1943.jpeg

Last edited:

loui

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
quick video sorry low quality, maybe it can give you some ideas.

Attachments

• IMG_1932 (1).mp4
    27.6 MB

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ecotech radion xr30s with T-5 and reefbrite strips over my tank in a similar fashion.

OP
OP
N

Nightwork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like those Radions xr30s. I have a 48" in long tank now in my basement. I think it is either 70 or 75 gallons. But I found a 65 gallon tank that is only 36" long. I can't fit the 48" long one in my living room, so I was planning on moving to the 65g and pluming it through the floor so my sump can stay in the basement.

Do you think I would need 2 of the xr30s on the 48" tank? what about on the 36" long tank?

Thank you,
Josh

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Consider a skimmer. Ice Cap has hang on and In-sump units nicely priced

loui

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like those Radions xr30s. I have a 48" in long tank now in my basement. I think it is either 70 or 75 gallons. But I found a 65 gallon tank that is only 36" long. I can't fit the 48" long one in my living room, so I was planning on moving to the 65g and pluming it through the floor so my sump can stay in the basement.

Do you think I would need 2 of the xr30s on the 48" tank? what about on the 36" long tank?

Thank you,
Josh
depends if you are going full sps then i would get 3, but 2 will be fine for a mix reef.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back